HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   My crazy proposal: Brad Richards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=178253)

Clockwork Walrus 10-04-2005 10:12 PM

My crazy proposal: Brad Richards

First, let me preface this with an acknowledgement that I am obviously teetering in the realm of hypothetical, perhaps beyond hypothetical and into the domain of bat-**** crazy talk. I don't know, there are clearly a lot of ifs in a proposal such as this, but you decide.

You've heard it before, but with Tampa Bay already snug against the salary cap and with Lecavalier and St. Louis already locked up to big, long term deals, Brad Richards may very well be the odd man out. And I tend to believe the Predators may be one of the few out-of-conference teams desperate enough for a legitimate center that has the cap room and the bargaining chips to make a deal happen.

If I were GM, I would not hesitate to consider including guys such as Klein, Upshall, Shishkanov, Zidlicky and maybe even Weber in the right deal. I think with the drafting of Parent, the organization can afford to lose a defenseman and still be well-off. With that said however, I am blissfully unaware of Tampa's needs. Perhaps Upshall and Shishkanov would be more suited in a deal, I don't know.

Maybe Upshall and Klein for Richards, or Zidlicky and a little extra for Richards or Shishkanov and Klein for Richards. I'd consider most any combination. Some may consider some of those deals overpaying for a player who Tampa may very well let walk onto the open-market, and that's certainly a point to consider. But would the Predators have a legitimate shot at landing Richards through free agency? And note: I would believe all of the aforementioned deals would be dependent on the Predators being able to lock Richards up to some sort of long term deal.

It is not often a 25 year old, playoff-tested, Lady Byng and Conn Smythe award winning center becomes available. I think it's safe to say Richards will be asking for a salary somewhere above five million, and likely between what St. Louis got (roughly five million) and Lecavalier got (roughly seven million) And I think, if anything is at all possible, Poile would be a fool not to at least consider. With Kariya signed to a relatively short two year deal, and with guys like Radulov, Upshall (depending on whether or not he would be included in the deal) coming up, combined with Hartnell, whose potential and skill-level is not served well as a 3rd liner, losing Kariya may not hurt too badly.

Kariya has shown a great deal of faith and loyalty in the organization in signing in Nashville, and should be rewarded. That, coupled with Legwand being an UFA next year (correct me if I'm wrong), as well as some other players signed to one year deals (like Erat, I believe) who may deserve a wage increase, acquiring Richards may be too big of a risk. But if come the trading deadline, a deal for Richards could be in any way swung and keep Nashville's cap situation reasonable, suddenly Nashville's centers look really solid with a 1-2 punch of Richards and Legwand down the middle.

barrytrotzsneck 10-04-2005 10:14 PM

klein and upshall wouldn't get it done, not even close. we'd be outbid in a heartbeat...but to get richards...i'd be willing to set up a deal including suter or hamhuis. that's not a guy you can pass on, IMO.

veronesepk 10-04-2005 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
klein and upshall wouldn't get it done, not even close. we'd be outbid in a heartbeat...but to get richards...i'd be willing to set up a deal including suter or hamhuis. that's not a guy you can pass on, IMO.

I totally agree with you. If we could lock up pRichards to a long term (4 years + ) deal, I would pull the trigger (and lose Suter or Hamhuis) in a heartbeat.

Enoch 10-04-2005 10:33 PM

2004-05 EHC Basel Swi2 3 6 2 8 - 2 - -
2003-04 Nashville NHL 82 18 29 47 +9 46 165 10.91
2002-03 Nashville NHL 64 17 31 48 -2 34 167 10.18
2001-02 Nashville NHL 63 11 19 30 +1 54 121 9.09
2000-01 Nashville NHL 81 13 28 41 +1 38 172 7.56
1999-00 Nashville NHL 71 13 15 28 -6 30 111 11.71
1998-99 Nashville NHL 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0.00

Legwand is only an UFA if you count the 1 game, I believe.

triggrman 10-05-2005 02:15 AM

Legwand will still be restricted, they talked about it when he signed his qo

Sotnos 10-05-2005 07:40 AM

Sorry to butt in but why would Tampa trade Richards? Are there not other guys on the team they could dump if they need to save salary?

You don't trade a guy like Richards unless you are forced to (a la Heatley). :)

triggrman 10-05-2005 08:05 AM

You also don't want 3 players make 50% or more of the cap.

barrytrotzsneck 10-05-2005 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotnos
Sorry to butt in but why would Tampa trade Richards? Are there not other guys on the team they could dump if they need to save salary?

You don't trade a guy like Richards unless you are forced to (a la Heatley). :)

We'll just take him in the dispersal draft, when the Bolts are moved to Portland, Winnipeg or Hamilton, like someone OUGHTA do!

:D

beautypersoni 10-05-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

We'll just take him in the dispersal draft, when the Bolts are moved to Portland, Winnipeg or Hamilton, like someone OUGHTA do! :D

Or Quebec City! Good Lord, I'd cry my eyes out if the NHL returned to Quebec City. (My heart bleeds Nordiques blue!) But, I'm of the opinion that the Hurricanes will be the next team we see moving locations.

Anyhoo...

Sotnos 10-07-2005 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
You also don't want 3 players make 50% or more of the cap.

You don't sign an older player like St. Louis to a huge long contract unless you are sure you can also lock up a guy like Richards. Again, you don't let go of a player like Richards unless you have to, and at this point we certainly don't have to. I think Feaster is very much aware of the team's cap situation.

I'm not going to belabor the point, just asking you to consider another side of things, and from Tampa's perspective there is no reason to do this.

Quote:

We'll just take him in the dispersal draft, when the Bolts are moved to Portland, Winnipeg or Hamilton, like someone OUGHTA do! :D

Such a comedian! ;)

SmokeyClause 10-07-2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotnos
You don't sign an older player like St. Louis to a huge long contract unless you are sure you can also lock up a guy like Richards. Again, you don't let go of a player like Richards unless you have to, and at this point we certainly don't have to. I think Feaster is very much aware of the team's cap situation.

I'm not going to belabor the point, just asking you to consider another side of things, and from Tampa's perspective there is no reason to do this.

Such a comedian! ;)

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Richards might be traded. In the salary cap era of the NFL, 'untradeable' superstars are let go quite often. While the NFL has different UFA policies and trading restrictions, it would not be at all suprising to see TB have to let go of Richards. I've love for them to keep him as TB is my second favorite team, but I can see the logic in getting something for him. While Richards, St. Louis, and Lecavalier are great players, they alone can not win you the Cup. If TB doesn't watch out, they are going to have to pay a sizeable portion of their team minimum wage to make ends meet. Ask a team like Colorado what it's like having 8-10 good to great players and not much else.

What happens when the goaltending situation doesn't work out and Tampa is forced to spend more to get more? Where is it going to come from? What happens when key younger players don't step up? Tampa will enter into a delicate balancing act if they sign Richards to a long-term deal and seal up 18-20 million of their cap. They won't have the money to afford the depth necessary to withstand common injuries, and they won't have the money to address the needs that will arise on a month to month, year to year basis. They can win the Cup with that roster, but they are going to have a hard time dealing with any bad luck that might come their way. They better hope their young players don't play young and their older players don't play old. TB could be in an enviable position one day and a nightmarish situation the next. After those three players, the rest of the team combined will be paid well under the league average. Tampa has to get it right as there is no margin for error. They'll need a team chocked full of bargains to maintain the level of play that they want. It's going to take the youngest players stepping up and the cheap UFA pickups to exceed expectations. Tampa is going to be in bad shape if they make mistakes on those fronts.

Feaster may be vary aware of the cap situation, but knowing something exists and knowing how to handle that something are different beasts altogether. I have no doubt he is aware of the situation, but I do have my doubts that even a great GM like Feaster is fully ready to handle the cap crunch in the coming years. It's going to be a learning curve and those teams right up against the cap might be the ones having to learn the fastest.

Hoek 10-12-2005 09:08 PM

Late reply so sorry if I'm bumping this needlessly..

Quote:

I think it's safe to say Richards will be asking for a salary somewhere above five million, and likely between what St. Louis got (roughly five million) and Lecavalier got (roughly seven million)
It'll be hard to get him to take much less than Lecavalier. The last time we went through re-signing the two of them, he ended up essentially getting the same contract.

Quote:

What happens when the goaltending situation doesn't work out
IF.. You're getting ahead of yourself. ;)

So far Grahame picked up where he left off and continues to outperform Khabibulin in the regular season.

The cap's going up (barring a crash in attendance halfway through the season or something) and we can dump other salaries. Richards isn't going anywhere and is probably more valuable to us than Lecavalier even, so forget about trading for him (signing him to a max offer sheet on the otherhand.. *shudders*). You're right there's small margin for error but pretty much everyone would see it as a huge error if we let him go. If it really came down to it Marty would be the odd man out before Brad or Vinny if we're talking trade scenarios. I think our farm players can step in just fine when the time comes, especially in the lower lines where their talent projects to anyway, and a cheap FA winger will always look good next to Richards who has made even our least talented forwards goalscorers in the past. Time will tell but the doomsday scenario isn't looming as large as you make it, IMO, and the team certainly won't panic and respond by trading its best player.