HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   ESPN future 15 (Hemsky #4) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17892)

dem 10-07-2003 03:58 PM

ESPN future 15 (Hemsky #4)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1632492
Hemsky at #4
I dont know what Tootoo is doing on the list.. but whatever.
Looks like it might just be Mcguires list.

Allan 10-07-2003 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dem
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1632492
Hemsky at #4
I dont know what Tootoo is doing on the list.. but whatever.
Looks like it might just be Mcguires list.

I think it was a list of ambassador types, as opposed to the most skilled players. Tootoo certainly has a chance to get a following in Nashville like Georges Laraque has here - one of the most popular players on the team, but certainly not one of the most talented.

riles 10-07-2003 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan
I think it was a list of ambassador types, as opposed to the most skilled players. Tootoo certainly has a chance to get a following in Nashville like Georges Laraque has here - one of the most popular players on the team, but certainly not one of the most talented.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...e?statsId=2849

check out Hemmer's profile on ESPN, man he's huge only 20 but look at that birthdate!

dem 10-07-2003 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riles

check out Hemmer's profile on ESPN, man he's huge only 20 but look at that birthdate!

:joker:

Vyse64 10-07-2003 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riles

just goes to show how espn is no.1 hockey in coverage

Mr Sakich 10-07-2003 05:22 PM

I hope Mizral doesn't see that list.

It must be an uniformed rag if they don't have henrik higher than ales.

elphy101 10-07-2003 05:57 PM

Those are quite the honors for Hemsky even if it is ESPN.

He's rated Higher than Marion Hossa, Marian Gaborik, Illya Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Thornton and Iginla.

I have to disagree with ESPN but still that is quite an achievement for Hemsky no matter who says it.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 10-07-2003 06:10 PM

hmmmm so since its 1920 and hemsky is a 6'5 220 lbs guy...way to be espn!!

Allan 10-07-2003 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
hmmmm so since its 1920 and hemsky is a 6'5 220 lbs guy...way to be espn!!

Yeah, but how dominant would a 6'5" 220lb player as fast as Hemsky have been in 1920? Wouldn't have wanted to be playing for the Maroons that year. :p

momentai 10-07-2003 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor dyck
I hope Mizral doesn't see that list.

It must be an uniformed rag if they don't have henrik higher than ales.

We should probably give this a rest on Mizral. I don't really want this entire thing to perpetuate any longer than it has already.

That being said... Joe Thornton and Vinny are horribly low.. Hemsky is just way too high on this list. I would even put Heater and Kovy above him no question.

This has got to be Pierre Maguire's work. Parise is up there already and he hasn't played one game in the NHL yet....

VayaConDios 10-07-2003 06:14 PM

Parise is on that list.... Don't get me started.

Mowzie 10-07-2003 07:06 PM

at times last year, he looked like a whiley veteran, now i know why, a 104 yr old man has got to know a little bit about hockey.

i wouldnt read too much into this list, as much as i love Hemmer, he doesn't belong that high on the list.

Seachd 10-07-2003 08:14 PM

Yeah, I don't think that list is in any sort of order. It's just 15 young players to look for in the future.

GorillazXL 10-07-2003 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoalieDude
Parise is on that list.... Don't get me started.

Yeah, how the he11 did he get on the list without playing a single game. Then again this is coming from the same guy that was crying bloody murder that no one took Parise within the first ten picks, if I remember correctly.

GXL

thome_26 10-07-2003 09:28 PM

Ya, I'm fairly confused too.... they have a 7 year veteran, who has been in the running for the hart trophy already in a list with a guy who's never played a game in professional hockey......... ESPN..... those guys should REALLY stick to football.... they are brutal

dawgbone 10-08-2003 04:49 AM

Did some of you even read the friggin intro to the article?

You know the 8 or so paragraphs talking about these are players who will be not only the future stars, but the guy the media can go to later on and get a real quote from, guys who will really appeal to the fan base, and give them stuff to talk about.

It wasn't the order of the most skilled, it was a combination of those factors.

Hemsky is looking like he will be a star in this league. He has already done very well in the few interviews I have seen, both recognizing his shortcomings, but also giving credit to linemates, etc... And let's not forget fan appeal. Is there anyone in Edmonton who doesn't love this kid, and who would organize a seige on Oiler headquarters if Lowe were to trade him? And let's not forget the fans of other teams who have been wowed by him.

Slats432 10-08-2003 07:20 AM

Let's not be so presumptuous to fawn over our guy being in the top 15 of a very bad article.

I have high hopes for Hemsky as we all do, but to put any weight into that article is just silly.

momentai 10-08-2003 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
Did some of you even read the friggin intro to the article?

You know the 8 or so paragraphs talking about these are players who will be not only the future stars, but the guy the media can go to later on and get a real quote from, guys who will really appeal to the fan base, and give them stuff to talk about.

It wasn't the order of the most skilled, it was a combination of those factors.

Hemsky is looking like he will be a star in this league. He has already done very well in the few interviews I have seen, both recognizing his shortcomings, but also giving credit to linemates, etc... And let's not forget fan appeal. Is there anyone in Edmonton who doesn't love this kid, and who would organize a seige on Oiler headquarters if Lowe were to trade him? And let's not forget the fans of other teams who have been wowed by him.

Future stars? Joe Thornton already is a star and well on his way to becoming a superstar is his own right. Even Kovy and Heater (before the accident) could be considered stars already as could Vincent.

Hemsky doesn't even have a firm grasp of the English language yet. Let's hold off bfore we coin him the Alex Mogilny of the Czech Republic. If those are the categories that Maguire is ranking them by, it still doesn't work.

dawgbone 10-08-2003 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentai
Future stars? Joe Thornton already is a star and well on his way to becoming a superstar is his own right. Even Kovy and Heater (before the accident) could be considered stars already as could Vincent.

Hemsky doesn't even have a firm grasp of the English language yet. Let's hold off bfore we coin him the Alex Mogilny of the Czech Republic. If those are the categories that Maguire is ranking them by, it still doesn't work.

See... that is why it is about the future, not about what you have already done. It is about the guys that the league and fans will talk about, and build around.

And you use the term star rather losely there... Vinny? I would think that you would need more than a good season every couple of years to be a star, but hey that is just me.

Oi'll say! 10-08-2003 05:55 PM

Dawg and Allen are right, this ranking is purely by PR value as a combination of a player's on-ice entertainment level and their ability to represent through the media.

Personally I think that Jarret Stoll is by far the best Oiler I've seen in front of a camera since Mark Messier, but I still wouldn't rank him ahead of Hemsky because his entertainment level won't be very close.

I really have no idea or even care the slightest about most of the guys on that list though, it's kind of a silly topic for an article.

momentai 10-08-2003 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
See... that is why it is about the future, not about what you have already done. It is about the guys that the league and fans will talk about, and build around.

And you use the term star rather losely there... Vinny? I would think that you would need more than a good season every couple of years to be a star, but hey that is just me.

It may be about the future but isn't the future a direct result of what happens in the past? Their past determines what pace they are on in terms of development and glimpses of what their potential could be. If it's about who fans will talk about and build around, I can't see why Joe Thornton is ranked lower than Hemsky at all. He is a guy you definitely build around. It's hard enough finding a skilled center but having one with a mean streak with the size to back it up is even more difficult.

As for Vinny, perhaps. Perhaps not. It's just a matter of definition I suppose. He was a star for them last year and scored nearly a ppg. He's well on his way and I think he'll prove that this season again. I did say COULD of course..