HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Montreal / Washington Trade Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=179217)

Jasper17 10-07-2005 07:25 AM

Montreal / Washington Trade Proposal

To Montreal
Brendan Witt

To Washington
Ron Hainsey
2nd rd Pick

Munchausen 10-07-2005 08:34 AM

Ron Hainsey actually has negative value at this point, mainly because of his one-way NHL contract he's curently earning in the minors (and of course he sucks).

The 2nd alone would stand a better chance. But honestly, if Washington get rid of the last decent vet on that blueline, you know they're officially tanking the season to get a shot at the Kessel/Frolik derby.

borro 10-07-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japser17
To Montreal
Brendan Witt

To Washington
Ron Hainsey
2nd rd Pick

If we wanted Hainsey, we could have had him for free when he was put on waivers!. What is the point?

SDBondra 10-07-2005 10:10 AM

Maybe there's no point to getting Hainsey, but if you let us throw Matthieu Biron on in there it's a done deal. That guy is horrible.

Actually, if i was GMGM I'd do Witt for a 2nd rounder in a second.

borro 10-07-2005 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDBondra
Maybe there's no point to getting Hainsey, but if you let us throw Matthieu Biron on in there it's a done deal. That guy is horrible.

Actually, if i was GMGM I'd do Witt for a 2nd rounder in a second.

Fortunately for us, you are not GMGM! Witt should bring at least a 1st and maybe a minor player if we time the deal right(around trade deadline.) For now, Witt is not on the market (per quotes from Ted Leonsis, the owner). Regardless of how many Hrdina/Zubrus like proposals are put forth (Antropov thread), Witt will be kept. He really helped Green and seems to be doing a good job mentoring kids. I'm sure Witt would be gone already if a 2nd is all we asked.

Nihilism 10-07-2005 10:31 AM

Bulis for Witt straight up would be a more logical move.

Malakhov 10-07-2005 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihilism
Bulis for Witt straight up would be a more logical move.

No thanks, Bulis is too valuable to the Habs.

Blind Gardien 10-07-2005 11:31 AM

Quote:

To Montreal
Brendan Witt

To Washington
Ron Hainsey
2nd rd Pick

Alas the dream of seeing no more Hainsey-trade threads after he cleared waivers has died a premature and tragic death. :cry:

On the bright side, I haven't seen any Habs offers involving Hossa in a while. (Despite the fact that he now has approximately equal value to the Habs as Hainsey does.) :sarcasm:

Munchausen 10-07-2005 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Alas the dream of seeing no more Hainsey-trade threads after he cleared waivers has died a premature and tragic death. :cry:

On the bright side, I haven't seen any Habs offers involving Hossa in a while. (Despite the fact that he now has approximately equal value to the Habs as Hainsey does.) :sarcasm:

How 'bout this:

To Mtl: Hossa
To NY: Hainsey

:D

mydnyte 10-07-2005 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borro
Witt should bring at least a 1st and maybe a minor player if we time the deal right(around trade deadline.)

:help:

Witt for a 2nd is already overpayment in the real world.

Poignant Discussion 10-07-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydnyte
:help:

Witt for a 2nd is already overpayment in the real world.

A huge overpayment. He's just not really all that good

SDBondra 10-07-2005 01:38 PM

I don't understand how anyone would think a disgruntled, bad attitude Brendan Witt in the last year of his contract (UFA next year) would ever bring a 1st round pick in return.

The fact that Biron is still in the lineup while Hainsey is available shows that GMGM has pretty much lost his mind.

And if I WERE GMGM, there would be cheerleaders in the stands of the MCI Center.

txpd 10-07-2005 01:53 PM

its pretty simple how that could happen.

its a supply and demand kind of thing. solid veteran nhl defensemen are not in great supply as it is. if a teams defenseman supply would to suffer loses at a critical time, the demand to find another source to take those defense minutes would rise and so would the price for a player like Witt.

Those injuries might not happen and the Caps might end up with a 4th round pick at the deadline for Witt. But, if a couple of playoff teams lost top 4 defensemen in february and were desperate for a defensemen with experience and a low enough contract to fit under their cap, Witt could fetch a first AND an NHL ready prospect.

Its all about conditions at the time.

its not likely, but the Caps young defense could mature faster than expected as Green has already shown could happen. IF Zubrus were to be spurred on to the long awaited breakout season by playing with Ovechkin, then the Caps might be good enough to convince Witt to reup with the team. I think that is a long shot, but i think there are enough scenarios that make Witt a player in demand that the Capitals are not going to have to give him away.

Jasper17 10-07-2005 02:40 PM

Witt is horrible, that is what I proposed the deal. I understand hainsey has little to no trade value, but Witt doesn't have much more.

Psycho Papa Joe 10-07-2005 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd
its pretty simple how that could happen.

its a supply and demand kind of thing. solid veteran nhl defensemen are not in great supply as it is. if a teams defenseman supply would to suffer loses at a critical time, the demand to find another source to take those defense minutes would rise and so would the price for a player like Witt.

Those injuries might not happen and the Caps might end up with a 4th round pick at the deadline for Witt. But, if a couple of playoff teams lost top 4 defensemen in february and were desperate for a defensemen with experience and a low enough contract to fit under their cap, Witt could fetch a first AND an NHL ready prospect.

Its all about conditions at the time.

its not likely, but the Caps young defense could mature faster than expected as Green has already shown could happen. IF Zubrus were to be spurred on to the long awaited breakout season by playing with Ovechkin, then the Caps might be good enough to convince Witt to reup with the team. I think that is a long shot, but i think there are enough scenarios that make Witt a player in demand that the Capitals are not going to have to give him away.

Dany Markov>Brendan Witt
Markov went for a 3rd

Spooky371* 10-07-2005 04:17 PM

We HABSOLUTLY ( :shakehead ) need a defensman...

If Kostitsyn are the pay to price (not straight up) I will..

PSUhockey34 10-07-2005 04:27 PM

Quote:

Witt is horrible, that is what I proposed the deal. I understand hainsey has little to no trade value, but Witt doesn't have much more.

but it still doesnt make any sense to move witt for a player that can be claimed off of waivers or for a player who probably cant even break into a very young and inexprienced blue line...if both guys really have no trade value then why make the trade at all?

Drake1588 10-07-2005 04:29 PM

Kostitsyn is a hair's breadth away from being labeled another pretty glaring top ten bust from the Canadiens. Right there with Hainsey, who is quite plainly being labeled a bust at this point. When you appear on waivers, and pass through, you have zero trade value. Zero.

The Caps will get something for Witt at the deadline. Until then, he's probably not available, and the Caps will use him as their lone mentor for Eminger and Morrisonn.

Blind Gardien 10-07-2005 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
How 'bout this:

To Mtl: Hossa
To NY: Hainsey

:D

Niiiiice. :yo:

But to be analytical, :teach: , we do have greater need for defensive depth in the system than we do forwards. Hossa is less of a bust, but also more redundant in the organisation. At least if by some miracle-to-the-miracleth-exponent Hainsey finally gets his game together and decides he can play for the Habs next year, well... :help:

txpd 10-07-2005 05:48 PM

Quote:

if witt is horrible, how do you expect a team to offer a 2nd round pick for him?

by the way, what is your definition of horrible? in my world as a Caps fan, I see Doig, Kwiatkowski, & Biron in the horrible/hideous catagory. Witt is an allstar next to those players. Witt is a solid NHL #3/#4 defenseman. A #5 on a stacked team.

Horrible gets waivers and released or scratched. Witt gets none of that. Never has.

If Witt is horrible than Biron is........?

barrytrotzsneck 10-07-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe
Dany Markov>Brendan Witt
Markov went for a 3rd

as has been mentioned before, though...markov was a salary dump for philly. they were under the impression that he wasn't all too interested in coming back to the NHL and had just signed an almost brand-new defensive core. under normal circumstances, he probably would have brought more.

that said...i think witt is pretty overrated and his value IS pretty low right now.

Maxpac 10-07-2005 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
Kostitsyn is a hair's breadth away from being labeled another pretty glaring top ten bust from the Canadiens. Right there with Hainsey, who is quite plainly being labeled a bust at this point. When you appear on waivers, and pass through, you have zero trade value

damn you Caps fans are pretty pathetic if you ask me... Kostytsin a bust? last year he was the 2nd youngest player in the AHL and played all year on the 3rd 4th line learning defense and english, Jarvis didn't care about his points, only to be more reliable, he's just starting his 2nd year as pro and you say he's a hair's breath of being a bust? that guy has more potential than your little Semin, projects like Kostytsin take time. Your almost worst than your pal Borro who thinks Witt will get get him a 1st rounder and + :help:

sXe 10-07-2005 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
Kostitsyn is a hair's breadth away from being labeled another pretty glaring top ten bust from the Canadiens. Right there with Hainsey, who is quite plainly being labeled a bust at this point.

Great comparison. Kots didn't improve over his first AHL season, he doesn't even have a point yet. Bust.

Psycho Papa Joe 10-07-2005 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
as has been mentioned before, though...markov was a salary dump for philly. they were under the impression that he wasn't all too interested in coming back to the NHL and had just signed an almost brand-new defensive core. under normal circumstances, he probably would have brought more.

that said...i think witt is pretty overrated and his value IS pretty low right now.

I understand your point. I was just saying, like you stated, is that people shouldn't get to carried with his possible trade value. A better example might be Eric Weinrich while he was a Hab and an impending free agent. He only brought back Traverse.

Drake1588 10-07-2005 06:53 PM

I think any Caps fans who believe Witt can bring back a 1st rounder are nuts, but he's going to bring back a good bit more than a guy who just passed through waivers unclaimed. Guys like Witt see their value rise at the deadline each year. The Caps will probably get a mid-level to pretty good prospect for him.