HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Patrice Brisebois (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18037)

rocketlives 10-08-2003 04:12 AM

Patrice Brisebois

Here is what Sherry Ross wrote about Patrice Brisebois in his 1996-97 NHL players scouting report. At the time, Patrice was only 25 years old.

LAST SEASON:

Led team defensemen in scoring. Missed 13 games with back injuries.

THE FINESSE GAME:

Brisebois has some nice skills, but doesn't have the hockey sense to put them in a complete package to be an elite level defenseman. He has a decent first step to the puck. He has a good stride with some quickness, although he won't rush end to end. He carries the puck with authority, but will usually take one or two strides and look for a pass, or else make the safe dump out of the zone. He steps up in the neutral zone to slow an opponent's rush.

Brisebois plays the point well enough to be on the first power play unit, but he doesn't have the rink vision that marks truly successful point men. Brisebois has a great point shot, with a sharp release, and he keeps it low and on target. He doesn't often venture to the circles on offense, but when he does he has the passing skills and the shot to make things happen.

Brisebois improved on his positional play, but often starts running around as if he's looking for someone to belt. He winds up hitting no one, while his partner is left outnumbered in front of the net. He is a good outlet passer but will sometimes get flustered and throw the puck away.

THE PHYSICAL GAME:

Brisebois doesn't take the body much and will play the puck instead of the man. He'll have to work on his conditioning since he does not appear to be a very strong player - at least he doesn't use his body well. He's tough only when he has a stick in his hand. His back problems during the past two seasons have made him even less of a factor.

THE INTANGIBLES:

The Canadians had high hopes for Brisebois, but even allowing for his physical ailments, we don't think we'll see much more out of him than has already been shown. David Wilkie should be eating up his icetime by the second half, and Brisebois will be a number four or even number five defenseman.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Seven years and $4 million US per year later, has Patrice Brisebois progressed? Not really.

TwineSniper 10-08-2003 04:22 AM

All this is telling me is that you are one of those "great" fans that feel the need to boo Brisebois no matter how he does.

I for one, am looking forward to a vastly improved season from Brisebois over last year.

JeromeHP 10-08-2003 04:42 AM

IMO , Brisebois will have a carrer year this year!

Highlander 10-08-2003 04:48 AM

"David Wilkie" eating up his minutes?!?!? Wow, there's a name from the past.

Habber 10-08-2003 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketlives
He carries the puck with authority, but will usually take one or two strides and look for a pass, or else make the safe dump out of the zone.

Make the safe dump out of the zone? I wish.

Quote:

David Wilkie should be eating up his icetime by the second half, and Brisebois will be a number four or even number five defenseman.

:joker:

Darz 10-08-2003 04:57 AM

These are pretty much the same type of comments made about Brisebois since he entered the league. It reinforces my theory, that the biggest problem with Brisebois is the fact he was forced into a #1 d-man role, when he is better suited for #3 or so.

I agree with The~Franchise, Brisebois could have a career year this year. He looks bigger (stronger) than anytime in his career, and if he can keep up his 'I don't give a $*%# attitude' it will really help him this year.

skidboot 10-08-2003 05:00 AM

I say we give Breezy one more chance.
Afterall he's only in his 14th? year in the Organization.

And please don't boo Breezy its not warranted.

Rahan 10-08-2003 09:55 AM

Anyone noticed how solid Brisebois was at both end of the ice at the beginning of last year.. for the first month or so?
I wonder what happened then..

Darz 10-08-2003 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahan
Anyone noticed how solid Brisebois was at both end of the ice at the beginning of last year.. for the first month or so?
I wonder what happened then..

he had a couple bad games, and then the Brisebois booer's went crazy on him. I'm convinced he would play a hell of alot better if the fans gave him a little slack.

doc lafleur 10-08-2003 10:51 AM

For all the fan's that boo Brisebois, your not helping the team.

1- The other player's moral is affected in a negative way.

2- The value of the player declines, if a visiting GM is in the building, could not leave the rink with a good impresion no matter how he play's.

3- We have a hard time attracting quality free agent's, seing the fan's treat a player in such fation won't help us in the future land a big name.

4- If you feel you must boo him, do it in your own house, and stop annoying the other fan that paid big buck's to support their TEAM.

Go Hab's Go!!!

Russian Fan 10-08-2003 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
These are pretty much the same type of comments made about Brisebois since he entered the league. It reinforces my theory, that the biggest problem with Brisebois is the fact he was forced into a #1 d-man role, when he is better suited for #3 or so.

Totally agree , the importance of the coaching staff to know what a player can give & what he can't give you even if the player will try to is critical & especially for Brisebois. If CJ wants him & give him #1 responsability with #1 ICE-TIME , it just can't work on a 82 games season IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
he had a couple bad games, and then the Brisebois booer's went crazy on him. I'm convinced he would play a hell of alot better if the fans gave him a little slack.

& also the fact that he played mostly with a fragile ankle all year.

Medicine Twin 10-08-2003 11:44 AM

Quote:

Here is what Sherry Ross wrote about Patrice Brisebois in his 1996-97 NHL players scouting report. At the time, Patrice was only 25 years old.

THE INTANGIBLES:

The Canadians had high hopes for Brisebois, but even allowing for his physical ailments, we don't think we'll see much more out of him than has already been shown. David Wilkie should be eating up his icetime by the second half, and Brisebois will be a number four or even number five defenseman.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Seven years and $4 million US per year later, has Patrice Brisebois progressed? Not really.

Never trust a scouting report from someone who thought David Wilkie was a good D-man... :teach: :joker:

Jeffrey 10-08-2003 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc lafleur
For all the fan's that boo Brisebois, your not helping the team.

1- The other player's moral is affected in a negative way.

2- The value of the player declines, if a visiting GM is in the building, could not leave the rink with a good impresion no matter how he play's.

3- We have a hard time attracting quality free agent's, seing the fan's treat a player in such fation won't help us in the future land a big name.

4- If you feel you must boo him, do it in your own house, and stop annoying the other fan that paid big buck's to support their TEAM.

Go Hab's Go!!!

:bow:
I agree !!

PJ Wiggum 10-08-2003 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryoptix
:bow:
I agree !!

I also think it si stupid for the fans to boo Briebois when he touchs the puck, its just a big circle, they boo him for nothing, he makes a bad play, then they boo him for that and he gets nervous and cant play well, I think if they left him alone Brisebois could be a good contributer to the Habs. So my message to the fans is stop booing Brisebois if you want him to play well.

rocketlives 10-09-2003 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The~Franchise
All this is telling me is that you are one of those "great" fans that feel the need to boo Brisebois no matter how he does.

I for one, am looking forward to a vastly improved season from Brisebois over last year.

The subject of this thread was not whether Patrice Brisebois should be booed or not. It was to show that a scouting report made on him 7 years ago when he was only 25 years old and had not yet reached his prime, showed basically the same qualities and shortcomings he still has today.

However even if Brisebois hasn't progressed much he's still in my opinion the Habs' #2 offensive defenseman behind Markov and he's a # 3 or # 4 all around dman on this team.

Of course he shouldn't be booed everytime he touches the puck, and I agree with Gainey when he says those who do that are gutless ********.

As far as the assumption made by The~Franchise is concerned that I must be one of the "great fans" that feel the need to boo Brisebois no matter how he does, it is just that, an assumption, i.e. something that is believed to be true without proof.

I haven't been at the Bell Center for the past 3 years, and when I used to go at the old Forum regularly, the Habs were a winning team playing exciting hockey and I had absolutely no reason to boo them.