HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Aves Prospects in Hershey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18043)

Bearsfan22 10-08-2003 05:27 AM

Aves Prospects in Hershey

Personally, I have not been impressed yet. At camp last week many of the players gave lack lusters perfromances. To give you an idea how odd things were , Kuleshov was the leading scorer the first day of camp! He had two great goals and played awesome. Guys like Stephens, Krestanovich, and Brule were almost non existent. In fact later in the week the guys sent here from Tampa Bay seemed to work harder than the aves prospects. Svatos and Liles certainly got their spots from out right hustle and effort. Especially if the guys sent down played this bad when they were up in camp.

One interesting note is that Tom Lawson, in his first full preseason game, got a shutout. Plus, Budaj has played great. Sure Lawson let in a soft one saturday night when he played half the game, but he bounced back sunday with the shutout.

Even the young D-men struggled. Nikita Alexeev Viitanen, and Finger seemed a little lost. I think Clark and Tampa Bay former Ave Pascal Trepanier will have some mentoring to do.

I am always the up beat Bears fan but so far I have not been impressed. Perhaps it may have been because many of the players were new to each other and they needed some adjustment time. There are a lot of new free agent and Tampa Bay players in Bears camp.

Any other Bears fans out there ? What do you think?

DarioinDenver 10-08-2003 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearsfan22
Personally, I have not been impressed yet. At camp last week many of the players gave lack lusters perfromances. To give you an idea how odd things were , Kuleshov was the leading scorer the first day of camp! He had two great goals and played awesome. Guys like Stephens, Krestanovich, and Brule were almost non existent. In fact later in the week the guys sent here from Tampa Bay seemed to work harder than the aves prospects. Svatos and Liles certainly got their spots from out right hustle and effort. Especially if the guys sent down played this bad when they were up in camp.

One interesting note is that Tom Lawson, in his first full preseason game, got a shutout. Plus, Budaj has played great. Sure Lawson let in a soft one saturday night when he played half the game, but he bounced back sunday with the shutout.

Even the young D-men struggled. Nikita Alexeev Viitanen, and Finger seemed a little lost. I think Clark and Tampa Bay former Ave Pascal Trepanier will have some mentoring to do.

I am always the up beat Bears fan but so far I have not been impressed. Perhaps it may have been because many of the players were new to each other and they needed some adjustment time. There are a lot of new free agent and Tampa Bay players in Bears camp.

Any other Bears fans out there ? What do you think?

I think you'll be pleasently suprised by the performances of Viitanen, Slovak, and Stephens this year. To be perfectly frank, coach Fixter worked these guys like dogs in rookie camp. At the end of the day they looked like they had been beat like a rug. I suspect Hershey camp was no different except that Tampa rookies didn't have to do it back to back. I also think Slovak, Viitanen and Stephens are a little less than thrilled to get sent back to Hershey so quickly while the Avs kept up three other competing rookies. Excuses aside they all need to step up and play better but the season is still very early.

PatrickRoy33 10-08-2003 07:21 AM

Tampas strength and conditioning program was probably one of the toughest, if not theee toughest in the NHL.

BTW, Alexeev isn't a Dman....

BEARSnAVS 10-08-2003 07:27 AM

Bears fan here....

give 'em some time to gell. I think this team will get off to a bit of a slow start because some of the players havn't even practiced with the team yet(mostly bolts players). Once this team gets rolling they'll be fine. The bears are young this year but have lots of talent. On the other hand the 7 vets are solid as well. I haven't seen any of the training camp but did see the Sunday preseason game vs. Bingo. Lawson looked good in the shutout. He fills the net well. The lost of 29 goals from Willsie hurts alot but former ahl rookie of the year Willis will help but I think he will be the first call up to Tampa.

SilverSkate 10-08-2003 07:24 PM

Krestanovich & Stephens stank during training camp & the preseason games. Did they feel they already had a spot on the team, so they didn't have to work? Did they feel bummed about being sent down too soon? It shouldn't matter. The game is to work hard all the time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearsfan22
Even the young D-men struggled. Nikita Alexeev, Viitanen, and Finger seemed a little lost.

Alexeev only arrived Tues for practice, he wasn't involve in camp or the preseason games. And he isn't a D-man!!

Viitanen - I'm not worried about him. He has a huge adjustment to make since he did not play last year due to injury. He seemed a bit lost, but you can tell he works hard all the time, & that he's a fast learner.

Finger seems lost the whole time. He should have stayed in college for his last year. He spent almost the whole 2nd period during the 1st preseason game in the penalty box. In fact he just got sent down to Reading.

Slovak did not stuggle at all. He was the 3rd best defenseman during training camp. He only played in the first preseason game & did a great job. He sat the other 2 games because his ankle is injured.

The scrimmages during training camp proved to be very interesting. The most offensive threats (Brule, Krestanovich, & Stephens) were on the White team, but they couldn't score. Except for the line of Voltera, Kuleshov, & Richardson, the White team couldn't do anything. It just seemed like the team did not play as a team, instead, they were a bunch of individuals on the ice. They hardly talked to each other on the ice. This has me the most worried, especially Krestanovich & Stephens, they played almost all last year together. How much time do they need to 'gel'? The players need to play as a team and help each other. The Black team was the complete opposite: they talked & played as a team, they didn't need time to 'gel'. They came to camp as 'team players'.

One thing the Black team had in its favor was Budaj . And Im not talking about his ability as a goalie. The guy is great at pulling a team together his mouth never stops! Well, at least when hes on the bench. If you ever get a chance, get behind Budaj when hes on the bench. He is a hoot! Hes excellent at supporting his team, & he taunting the other team, even if its in jest. Remember for next training camp.

Holly Gunning 10-10-2003 07:23 AM

Just to let you guys know, we have a new Hershey correspondent, Ailyn Day. (Tom had to bow out due to other commitments.)

First article posted here:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Av-merican 10-10-2003 07:55 AM

Looking at this year's roster, I don't think this team will do too much offensively. Losing Willsie and Svatos will definitely hurt. The forwards look like a crew of little more than muckers and grinders. Krestanovich, Moore, Stephens--all may someday be decent 3rd line players, but that's it. Kuleshov...well, I think I've made my opinion of him clear with some of my past remarks. I doubt he'll be in the Avs organization much longer.

The defense, on the other hand, looks good. Viitanen, Slovak, and Clark should do well. I like Trepanier when he played for the Avs, and he should be great in Hershey, mentoring the youngins, as mentioned earlier in this thread.