HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Marc Savard (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18133)

Qubax 10-08-2003 10:10 AM

Marc Savard

What do you expect our of Savard this year...

I feel bad asking anything since Snyder passed away...

but I was just curious is he a lock to play with Kovalchuk...Savard is immensley talented...I just wonder how much of an opportunity Hartley will give Savvy.....

Thanks for any updates, btw is Lehtonen in the AHL?

Thanks

Atlanta Jim 10-08-2003 10:28 AM

Savard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qubax
What do you expect our of Savard this year...

I feel bad asking anything since Snyder passed away...

but I was just curious is he a lock to play with Kovalchuk...Savard is immensley talented...I just wonder how much of an opportunity Hartley will give Savvy.....

Thanks for any updates, btw is Lehtonen in the AHL?

Thanks

Savard posted 3 in the last preseason game and has looked awesome. He's Centering a line with Kozlov and McEarchern. If McEarchern has some juice left that line should score pretty well. I suspect Kovalchuk will see time with Savard this year as the Heatly thing has messed up our lines. We may well see another winger come in as well. Savard was the best deal DW has done to date.
Lehtonen is in the AHL and due to a groin pull only played 1 game this preseason. He stopped (I think) 30 of 32. Some on this board think he's there for the whole year and only will be brought up once the playoffs have been decided. Personally I think he's got a chance to play in Atlanta a little sooner. If he plays well I wouldn't be surprised to see some goalie shuffling.

CalgaryThrasher 10-08-2003 11:11 AM

He's my sleeper this year in a couple of pools. 75 points isn't out of the question. I've had alot of exposure with Savvy from him being in Calgary. And with good linemates he can take off!

But i'm sure his +/- will kill me.....

Jared Ramsden 10-08-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

He's my sleeper this year in a couple of pools. 75 points isn't out of the question. I've had alot of exposure with Savvy from him being in Calgary. And with good linemates he can take off!
I think one of the stupidest moves ever made by the Flames was trading this immensely talented forward for a prospect who might not ever make it to North America. I don't blame Button for the deal, but the since departed coach Greg Gilbert, who clearly did not like Savard, and destroyed his confidence.

Savard should have no difficulty reaching 15-20 goals and 50 to 60 points, if not more.....

Wingnut31 10-08-2003 12:23 PM

I know Marc and I'd be very surprised if you'd ever find a guy who cares as much about hockey as he does, he will be a point a game guy in Atlanta before he's done, 25 goals and 55 assists maybe would be the right balance for him, he's a great passer that sees the ice better than most so if he plays with a goal scorer who can find the holes they'll do just fine.
I think he left New York because they just don't stay with young guys long enough to develop but that might be the market The Rangers are in having to compete for fans with The Devils.
The Calgary trade makes no sense at all to me, it's obvious to play for Gilbert you had to have a strong defensive game which Marc lacks a little but to trade him a couple of weeks before you fire Gilbert was just stupid, Gilbert was on thin ice so why you wouldn't hold on to your skill players and see if they were a better fit with a new coach is beyond me.
On a different note I wonder if Schremp doesn't want to play in The OHL for The Ice Dogs because of Gilbert.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Sec of Partying Down 10-08-2003 12:29 PM

Savard is talented but don't expect anything special without Heatley he needs good linemates to be effective and he is a defensive liability. 50-60 points should be obtained with second line ice time.

Atlanta Jim 10-09-2003 05:50 AM

Savard

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV
Savard is talented but don't expect anything special without Heatley he needs good linemates to be effective and he is a defensive liability. 50-60 points should be obtained with second line ice time.

Since we obtained him he's just about put up a point-a-game and has had some game winners too. He's a great passer and handles the puck well - which we need. I've heard all the negative stuff before but to tell you the truth we haven't seen any of it in Atlanta. Maybe it will surface eventually under hard-nosed Hartley, but for now he's been a great addition.

Qubax 10-09-2003 08:49 AM

No I doubt it will surface as a Flames season ticket holder and die hard fan I can tell you that I thought I SAvard was not to blame in the controversy that saw him get shipped out of town...

Savard gets knocked for not being overly big and not being overly fast and those things are really both true....He's not really slow but he's not really fast either and he's certainly not big....But SAvard may be top 10 in the league in raw skill, in Hockey Sense and Passing Awarness....He's deadly on the PP....

Really I was surprised they didn't ahve him playing with Kovalchuk and Heatley sooner..I hear that he'll be on a line with McEachern and Kozlov which I don't mind but I am sure Hartley will ahve tyhe sense to ahve him on the number one PP.....

If Savard is healthy he should crack 70 points for the first time....

Disco Volante 10-09-2003 08:27 PM

Savard had over 24 minutes of Ice in the opener, so I doubt a second-line job is in store for him. He'll lead the first line, with Kozlov and probably part-time Kovalchuk on the other side. I'd say he'll get around 55-60 points without Heatley.

I don't understand how Piros and Santala could get more icetime than Stefan in this first game. That's a joke. And Santala's been playing the powerplay all night with no Stefan in sight...

Qubax 10-10-2003 10:09 AM

Wierd....Stefan has got to still be your future....I'd play the guy

Voynich 10-10-2003 10:23 AM

Santala actually went to the front of the net on the power play and stood in there. That created about three chances for him to score. Stefan doesn't do that(stand in the crease or shoot), if he did we'd see him out there.

It seemed to me that Bob was shuffling the lines quite a bit last night and Stefan just got lost in the mess. It is a little hard to call it a "joke" after only one game.