HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Goaltending Trios (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18167)

Guest 10-08-2003 10:37 AM

Goaltending Trios

There are several teams this year that are starting with 3 goalies on their roster and trying to decide who stays, and moreso trying to find a way to move a goalie.

Phoenix - Burke, Boucher, Bierk
San Jose - Nabakov, Kiprusoff, Toskala
Buffalo - Biron, Miller, Noronen
Detroit - Hasek, Joseph, Legace
Atlanta - Dafoe, Hurme, Nurminen

Maybe others I can't think of off the top of my head. So it appears that there are at least 4 NHL jobs that could be available based on this, or are we seeing a high in the goaltending depth at the NHL level?

Who is in the market, and who do you think each team will end up moving?

Flamin Homer 10-08-2003 10:55 AM

Rumour as it....

The Flames had Rich Sutter and another scout at the last Sharks game. On the Flames board they are talking about Harvey and a Back-up 'tender to Calgary. As usual the name that always comes up.....Gauthier is a possability to go the other way.

BringITon 10-08-2003 11:19 AM

Toronto has Belfour, Tellqvist, and Kidd on their roster because Kidd is hurt. Once Kidd comes back he may be the odd man ouot as long as Tellqvist proves his worth. Or maybe Tellqvist gets an opportunity to fine tune in the minors this year too start next year.

Vatican Roulette 10-08-2003 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flamin Homer
The Flames had Rich Sutter and another scout at the last Sharks game. On the Flames board they are talking about Harvey and a Back-up 'tender to Calgary. As usual the name that always comes up.....Gauthier is a possability to go the other way.

nice posting name.... :handclap:

Gauthier in SJ would be over kill. They already have a huge, physical defense.

Toskala is the one i hope they get, he's an excellent goalie. WIll be a starter in the league once given a chance.

SensGod 10-08-2003 11:51 AM

For Ottawa

Lalime
Prusek
Emery

:handclap:

Mowzie 10-08-2003 11:52 AM

Dunham, Markannen and Blackburn in NYR.
I'm guessing Blackburn won't be used too much this year though.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-08-2003 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
Dunham, Markannen and Blackburn in NYR.
I'm guessing Blackburn won't be used too much this year though.

Blackburn is injured and will be Hartford this season.

Kritty 10-08-2003 12:13 PM

Quote:

I sure hope Sutter isn't actually considering something like this. I backup goalie isn't exactly a major priority unless it's a guy that can become a starter. Harvey is useless, he has no place in Calgary. He's a 3rd/4th liner and Calgary has plenty of them already. Gauthier is worth for more than a depth forward that makes alot of cash and a backup goalie.

Guest 10-08-2003 12:17 PM

The situations with Ottawa, Toronto, and the Rangers aren't what I am talking about though. They just have younger goalies getting into the lineup and proving themselves, where as the other teams have goalies that would have to clear waivers to go to the minors and probably wouldn't clear, so the team is keeping them around in hopes of a deal.

Kevin Forbes 10-08-2003 12:17 PM

Deja vu

Shark Attack 10-08-2003 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kritty
I sure hope Sutter isn't actually considering something like this. I backup goalie isn't exactly a major priority unless it's a guy that can become a starter. Harvey is useless, he has no place in Calgary. He's a 3rd/4th liner and Calgary has plenty of them already. Gauthier is worth for more than a depth forward that makes alot of cash and a backup goalie.

Toskala is more than a backup goalie, he is starter material. And in the organization believe he is better than Nabokov. Regardless, Sutter, knows the capability of all three goalies

Chomp, Chomp

Flamin Homer 10-08-2003 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kritty

I agree that Gauthier is worth more but that was just the rumour being tossed around. I would rather see one of montadore, Commadore or Wallin moved. The only thing about bringing in Harvey and a back up is that there will have to be some salary going the other way. The Flames will HAVE to get rid of somebody, this deal could not work out with picks and prospects IMO.

Teemu 10-08-2003 02:10 PM

Thibault
Leighton
Anderson

All 3 will probably see time this year.

RedRumNJD 10-08-2003 02:55 PM

Pittsburgh might end up with 3 goalies...Sebastien Caron, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Jean-Sebastien Aubin.

Ozy_Flame 10-08-2003 03:28 PM

Anyone think Nabokov could be on the outs while we're on the discussion of San Jose? Looks like they might need more firepower up front, and lord knows there's a Western Conference team who could sure use a quality starting goaltender AND have offense to spare....

Ahem.....*Avs* cough cough........

Yayo 10-08-2003 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbesy
Deja vu

Deja vu.

Spiffy 10-09-2003 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
nice posting name.... :handclap:

Gauthier in SJ would be over kill. They already have a huge, physical defense.

Toskala is the one i hope they get, he's an excellent goalie. WIll be a starter in the league once given a chance.

Toskala most possibly has the world's best glove hand but Kiprusoff is at this moment more complete but I would still choose Toskala over him because of the fact that he is flashy and can save games by himself.

Shark Attack 10-09-2003 06:33 AM

Quote:

I agree that Gauthier is worth more but that was just the rumour being tossed around. I would rather see one of montadore, Commadore or Wallin moved. The only thing about bringing in Harvey and a back up is that there will have to be some salary going the other way. The Flames will HAVE to get rid of somebody, this deal could not work out with picks and prospects IMO.

The guys mentioned would not net you either of our backup goalies, maybe Harvey but not Kipper or Toskala.

Chomp, Chomp

Shark Attack 10-09-2003 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRumNJD
Pittsburgh might end up with 3 goalies...Sebastien Caron, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Jean-Sebastien Aubin.

Aubin was waived.

CHomp, CHomp

Shark Attack 10-09-2003 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Anyone think Nabokov could be on the outs while we're on the discussion of San Jose? Looks like they might need more firepower up front, and lord knows there's a Western Conference team who could sure use a quality starting goaltender AND have offense to spare....

Ahem.....*Avs* cough cough........

Not really sure what the Avs would be willing to deal for Nabby as most of their offense is older. Regardless, I don't see SJ trading him to a rivial.

CHomp, CHomp :dunno:

Shark Attack 10-09-2003 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattihp
Toskala most possibly has the world's best glove hand but Kiprusoff is at this moment more complete but I would still choose Toskala over him because of the fact that he is flashy and can save games by himself.

That is the Sharks assessment as well. The other thing to remember is that both of these guys were rated by SJ to have better long term potential than Johan Hedberg.

CHomp, CHomp

thestonedkoala 10-09-2003 07:30 AM

The Wild have three: Fernandez, Holmqvist, Roloson

Guest 10-09-2003 07:33 AM

The situations in Pittsburgh & Minnesota are not good examples either. Aubin has been waived and is a non-factor off to Europe likely. Holmqvist is someone anyone could have had already, not an issue that's going to really matter in the bigger scheme.

Larry Fisher 10-10-2003 08:26 AM

Questions...

With a lot of teams balancing the three NHL ready goalie systems who is dressing for each game?

I know the starters from NHL.com but who backed up Hasek, Nabakov, Biron, Nurminen, Burke and the others?

Will one of the three goalies on each team try to clear waivers and play in the AHL this year or will these teams actually carry 3 over an 82 game schedule if the right deal doesn't present itself?

I am confused...fill me in!!!

thestonedkoala 10-10-2003 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
The situations in Pittsburgh & Minnesota are not good examples either. Aubin has been waived and is a non-factor off to Europe likely. Holmqvist is someone anyone could have had already, not an issue that's going to really matter in the bigger scheme.

:dunno:

I thought we traded Nycholat for Holmqvist? Holmqvist hasn't been put on waivers nor exposed on the list. I think he would've been taken if he had and he is clearly ready to be a backup for the Wild. The Wild have a very interesting scenario:

NHL: Dwayne Roloson
Manny Fernandez

MIDDLE: Johan Holmqvist

AHL: Fredric Cloutier
Kyle Kettles

They have enough goalies down in the AHL and enough in the NHL, so what happens?

Also Minnesota is in the same-type of situation albet different situation than Phoenix.