HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Jim Matheson says... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18196)

Seachd 10-08-2003 12:50 PM

Jim Matheson says...

Matheson said on the radio today in Calgary that York will start as the first line centre, and Smyth will be the second. This goes against the lines we've heard already.

Which would you prefer?

Cerebral 10-08-2003 12:59 PM

Might it not be possible that the Chimera - York - Hemsky line is considered the top line while the Isbister - Smyth - Dvorak line is considered our second? They're fairly equal in talent and while most of us consider any line with Smyth our top one, it's possible it could be the other way around.. :) In any event, I'd still like to see Smyth on what we consider our "top" line.. he's the face behind the Oilers and definitely should be out on the ice for the first shift of the season in my opinion!

jadeddog 10-08-2003 01:14 PM

im not sure talk of what line is 1 or 2 is really necessary.... what i think the oilers have been going after for about 3-4 years now is 2 balanced scoring lines..... im sure lines 1/2 will prolly end up getting VERY similar ice times, so i dont really look at it as 1 and 2, but moreso 1a and 1b

Mowzie 10-08-2003 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadeddog
im not sure talk of what line is 1 or 2 is really necessary.... what i think the oilers have been going after for about 3-4 years now is 2 balanced scoring lines..... im sure lines 1/2 will prolly end up getting VERY similar ice times, so i dont really look at it as 1 and 2, but moreso 1a and 1b

well put, the way it looks is that all 6 guys will basically be interchangeable with Horcoff maybe finding some time at Centre on one of the first 2 lines. But it looks like Hemsky has chemistry with both York and Smyth, and that Isbister has something going with Smyth, so if something doesnt work, it is not like past years were we have to rely on one line to score. i think that we have 2 mutually capable lines, and even the RPM line is known to score some goals (I believe that this is Reasoner's year).

oildrop 10-08-2003 01:32 PM

I think the lines are staying the same as what we've heard, just in different order.

Chimera-York-Hemsky
Dvorak-Smyth-Isbister
RPM
Torres-Horcoff-Laraque

mrhockey123 10-08-2003 01:58 PM

what Matty aparently said (i didnt hear it) on the radio is exactly what he wrote in his article today. I dont see any changes :dunno:

OYLer 10-08-2003 02:23 PM

The JAM line (Jason, Ales, and Mike) improvises creatively frequently stuffing disks into the oppositions' nets -- I like it!

"We got the DIS tonight," laments the vanquished players as the 2nd line of Dvo, Isbister, and Smyth repeatedly dent the twine.

Working hard RPM lines up and roars into 3rd gear.

Staying on track BBS (Bruise Brothers plus Sean) energize the 4th line and keep competitors heads up or it's lights out! :joker:

thome_26 10-08-2003 02:32 PM

Well, ya, TSN had Chimer-York-Hemsky as the first line and Issy-Smyth-Dvo as the second line.... I think the potential is there for that second line to greatly surpass the first line.... but then again if Hemsky plays like he expects and Chimera can be consistent - York will be good as usual and Hemsky will only help him..... Could be two 80+ goal lines...

MrMackey 10-08-2003 04:21 PM

I heard the interview as well.

Not to belabor the Comrie thing any more than it already has... but Matheson is now saying it looks like Comrie doesn't want to be here, its not a money thing and that the problem is that most teams are just kicking the tires right now. He expects if something happens soon, it will still be a month down the road, but there is a good chance it could drag out because the Oil are looking for a big centre and that would be a difficult deal to make.

Thought it was worth mentioning because Matheson was the lone reporter insisting Comrie was going to resign.

MrMackey 10-08-2003 04:29 PM

I was just reading the other thread about the Lowe and Winter quotes and remembered another little tidbit from Matheson's interview. He basically said that one thing about Rich Winter is that he always seems to get his players under contract, even if it means giving a little on the salary side... much to the consternation of the NHLPA. He says this whole Comrie situation is very uncharacteristic of how Winter typically operates and led me to believe there might be some behind-the-scenes stuff that may be some discontent with Winter from the Comrie camp.

Also, Matheson deadpanned that he can't understand why making Comrie's desire to play for the Oilers (or lack thereof) would be put in to a confidentiality agreement.

kraigus 10-09-2003 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMackey
Also, Matheson deadpanned that he can't understand why making Comrie's desire to play for the Oilers (or lack thereof) would be put in to a confidentiality agreement.

I doubt it was, but MC's probably taking it safe by saying the bare minimum required in order to be polite to reporters.

I don't blame him. Everything he says will be wrong, or taken in the worst possible light, including, obviously, nothing - so why fuel the fire? (And as others have said, why lie?)

Master Lok 10-09-2003 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OYLer
The JAM line (Jason, Ales, and Mike) improvises creatively frequently stuffing disks into the oppositions' nets -- I like it!

"We got the DIS tonight," laments the vanquished players as the 2nd line of Dvo, Isbister, and Smyth repeatedly dent the twine.

Working hard RPM lines up and roars into 3rd gear.

Staying on track BBS (Bruise Brothers plus Sean) energize the 4th line and keep competitors heads up or it's lights out! :joker:

You crack me up! Well said! :handclap:

OYLer 10-09-2003 02:53 PM

Thanx neogeo69, if you liked that perhaps you might like the piece I posted on the History of Hockey Board.