HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Keane signs with Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18218)

cyrisweb 10-08-2003 12:47 PM

Keane signs with Canucks

Link

Radio station is reporting it as a 1 year, 1 way, $500,000 deal.

EDIT: Sprtsnet confirms the 500,000 and adds some interview info
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shown...ntent=h100841A

Transplanted Caper 10-08-2003 03:12 PM

Good veteran pick up by the Canucks, he knows what it takes to win and hopefully helps some of the young kids the killer instinct :handclap:

Jon Burke 10-08-2003 04:45 PM

Glad Burke signed Keane. As some of you may know, I've been pushing for this move ever since Keane came to camp on a tryout contract. Keane is a valuable player because he brings a lot of leadership and experience to the playoffs. In fact, he's the only Canuck with a Stanley Cup ring (he has three, actually). Plus he's pretty good defensively and can help us out on the penalty killing unit. He's signed to a reasonable contract, understands that he may be a part-timer for us and is willing to be so. I have absolutely no problem with this move. Just one of those depth guys that every championship team needs. :)

Peter Griffin 10-08-2003 06:11 PM

Good signing bu Burke. More than replaces the leadership and experience lost by Klatt and Baron moving on IMO.

Freudian 10-08-2003 06:17 PM

Good leader but he hasn't got much in the tank anymore. As long as they won't ask him to do all that much in matches it is a good pickup.

Peter Griffin 10-08-2003 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arankys
This guy used to be one of games best warriors now he's more of a washed up veteran he'll either be released or sent to the minors within 2 months.

Nope, he'll be the Canucks' 13th forward for the entire season. Perfect spot for him at this point in his career.

Burke's Evil Spirit 10-08-2003 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Nope, he'll be the Canucks' 13th forward for the entire season. Perfect spot for him at this point in his career.

I'd say he's the 14th, behind King...

Peter Griffin 10-08-2003 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I'd say he's the 14th, behind King...

I wouldn't as the "king" spot will likely be used as a rotating spot for players who have been playing well in the minors. Unless of course King becomes a regular with this team.

Spiffy 10-08-2003 11:34 PM

Very good pickup. Players on the nucks (especially Bertuzzi) have a great lot of respect for Keane.

cyrisweb 10-08-2003 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattihp
Very good pickup. Players on the nucks (especially Bertuzzi) have a great lot of respect for Keane.

That they do, so I heard. I'd expect Ruutu to pick up 50-60 games, May should get 70 games at least and the rest will go to Keane.
500,000 for an experienced 13th forward can not be viewed as a bad thing. He has the energy and the husle, has the defensive awareness, and appears to still have the desire.

Ensane 10-09-2003 12:06 AM

Don't expect much tangibles from him. Outside of his experience and veteran presence, he was downright horrible last season for Colorado. His defensive game has slipped tremendously (mainly because he's too slow now) as well.

Man I still hate that Podein/Keane trade.

Epoch 10-09-2003 12:15 AM

Nice pickup by the Canucks.:handclap:

Heater15 10-09-2003 08:47 AM

I watched him in the Calgary pre-season where Vancouver actually won, and IMO Keane was playing like he was an 18 year old trying to beat the odds and make the team. He played very well that night and his leadership skills are exactly what the nucks need. He's going to be a warrior all year and when playoffs come, he'll be a fan favorite.