HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Oilers Defense (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18220)

Mowzie 10-08-2003 01:03 PM

Oilers Defense

rank em.

heres my take on it.

1.Steve Staois
2.Eric Brewer
3.Jason Smith
4.Alexie Semenov
5.MA Bergeron
6.Cory Cross
7.Scott Ferguson

woody 10-08-2003 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
rank em.

heres my take on it.

1.Steve Staois
2.Eric Brewer
3.Jason Smith
4.Alexie Semenov
5.MA Bergeron
6.Cory Cross
7.Scott Ferguson

I like Staois alot but if he's your 1 we are in big trouble.

Brewer
Smith
Staois
Semenov
Cross
Bergeron
Ferguson

man.from.sean 10-08-2003 01:13 PM

Another list...

Brewer
Staios
Smith
Semenov
Cross
Bergeron
Ferguson

outKast* 10-08-2003 01:50 PM

<b>Offensively</b>

1. Brewer
2. Bergeron

3. Staios

4. Semenov
5. Cross
6. Smith
7. Fergusson

<b>Defensively</b>

1. Smith
2. Staois
3. Brewer
4. Fergusson
5. Semenov
6. Cross
7. Bergeron

<b><i>Overall</b></i>
1. Brewer

2. Smith
3. Staios
4. Semenov

5. Cross
6. Fergusson
7. Bergeron

jofa 10-08-2003 01:51 PM

1. Brewer
2. Semenov
3. Staios
4. Smith

---enter big gap---

5. Cross
6. Bergeron
7. Ferguson

Semenov should be huge this year. Especially now that his profile picture doesn't have that nerdy slicked to the side haircut from last season. ;)

Lowetide 10-08-2003 02:07 PM

1. Brewer- a stud. If the Oilers could afford to bring him along slowly, his development would look much better. Even so, he's just so damn talented in all areas, foot speed, shot, he's gritty, if he stayed he a decade we'd be talking about him in terms of the Oilers best defender all time.

2. Staios-Plays like Smith did before his injuries/captaincy sent him sideways. Overlooked offense, has a mean streak, a wonderful hockey player.

3. Smith-Played well down the stretch last season, and if he can get back to the level he was at two years ago, this defense could surprise.

4. Semenov-The big negative is that he's so darned young. Recent slide down the depth chart as a wake up call is the kind of thing that happens to guys this young. Tremendous ability.

5. Cross-He's creaky but he's also pretty smart. Cross has walked a high wire for most of his career and figured out a way to get it done. Cannot be counted on as a top 4 guy for long stretches imo.

6. Bergeron-Don't go crazy on me, but he's the "type" of player that can kill a defense in a hurry. I know he's gifted, I know he can hit, but imo the big question mark is 'can he make the safe play?' If he can, he'll have a long career. We could make a long list of guys just like him who couldn't.

7. Ferguson-Hanging by a thread. Guys like Ferguson are like utility infielders in baseball. As long as they can play shortstop, second base, centerfield, bunt, pinch run and not be a pain in the arse they have a career. The minute they lose a step, it's over. imo, the signing of Cross to a three year deal means his career as an Oiler can be counted in months, not years.

Mowzie 10-08-2003 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowetide
1. Brewer- a stud. If the Oilers could afford to bring him along slowly, his development would look much better. Even so, he's just so damn talented in all areas, foot speed, shot, he's gritty, if he stayed he a decade we'd be talking about him in terms of the Oilers best defender all time.

2. Staios-Plays like Smith did before his injuries/captaincy sent him sideways. Overlooked offense, has a mean streak, a wonderful hockey player.

3. Smith-Played well down the stretch last season, and if he can get back to the level he was at two years ago, this defense could surprise.

4. Semenvov-The big negative is that he's so darned young. Recent slide down the depth chart as a wake up call is the kind of thing that happens to guys this young. Tremendous ability.

5. Cross-He's creaky but he's also pretty smart. Cross has walked a high wire for most of his career and figured out a way to get it done. Cannot be counted on as a top 4 guy for long stretches imo.

6. Semenov-Don't go crazy on me, but he's the "type" of player that can kill a defense in a hurry. I know he's gifted, I know he can hit, but imo the big question mark is 'can he make the safe play?' If he can, he'll have a long career. We could make a long list of guys just like him who couldn't.

7. Ferguson-Hanging by a thread. Guys like Ferguson are like utility infielders in baseball. As long as they can play shortstop, second base, centerfield, bunt, pinch run and not be a pain in the arse they have a career. The minute they lose a step, it's over. imo, the signing of Cross to a three year deal means his career as an Oiler can be counted in months, not years.

im guessing that second semenov is bergeron?

Lowetide 10-08-2003 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
im guessing that second semenov is bergeron?

Yes, changed it but not in time.