HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Would Lowe Trade Salo? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18309)

FacelessButcher 10-08-2003 06:55 PM

Would Lowe Trade Salo?

k today I seen a rumour it was

To Phx:
Comrie
3rd pick

To Edm:
Langkow
Boucher

K Boucher costs $2million and I know Lowe is not willing to pay a back-up that much leading me to believe he would be trading Tommy and yesterday I seen the Richards+Khabibulin trade. I don't put a whole lot value into either rumour but when rumours consistently pop-up about someone it makes u wonder if he is being shopped around. Lowe has had a short history of dumping people he did not consider to play well in the playoffs Ulanov after his big mistake against Dallas that one year and now Comrie because he did not deliver, Comrie wanting to leave appears to be a direct result of Lowe's criticism. Lowe also singled out Tommy Salo is he next on the trade block? Tommy makes $3.9million which is huge chunk of change and kryptonite to most Oiler players which always results in a trade. Lowe got burnt by Joseph when he hit free-agency and I don't think he would want to go down that road again. On the other side Lowe got Salo a goalie coach a indication he wants him to stay and last pre-season game said if Tommy could just play 5% better we would be a real threat.

wow found this article as was typing trying to find his contract terms http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030531/nhl_edm-sun.html (warning it's a Brown Lee masterpiece)

I assume Lowe would want the new goalie to start the season and getting a new goalie mid-way through the season could hurt team chemistry and trading a guy as well liked as Tommy down the stretch could be a lot of trouble.So what do u guys think?

P.S. Do u think Lowe has enough confidence in Conklin or would he get a back-up goalie with more experience?

Hemsky4PM 10-08-2003 06:56 PM

Salo is not going to be traded.

Cerebral 10-08-2003 07:12 PM

The first word out of everyone's mouth in the Oilers organization when they start talking about this season is "Tommy" .. Lowe and MacT seem extremely high on him this season after his offseason training and I do not at all invision a trade involving him this year. :)

Patch101 10-08-2003 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
The first word out of everyone's mouth in the Oilers organization when they start talking about this season is "Tommy" .. Lowe and MacT seem extremely high on him this season after his offseason training and I do not at all invision a trade involving him this year. :)

Boucher? ... ewwww :o
That is all :p

Mowzie 10-08-2003 10:00 PM

I would say that Salo is untouchable, but I said the same thing about Doug Weight, Mike Comrie and Wayne Gretzky. I see him being expendable if we can get a young goalie in return like a Luongo, Dipietro, Blackburn etc. but for a Boucher, hell no.

FacelessButcher 10-08-2003 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
I would say that Salo is untouchable, but I said the same thing about Doug Weight, Mike Comrie and Wayne Gretzky. I see him being expendable if we can get a young goalie in return like a Luongo, Dipietro, Blackburn etc. but for a Boucher, hell no.

That was a rumour and Luongo,Dipietro,Blackburn r u f'in nutz no way we land any of them I think Lowe would get two back-up goalies who never really got a starter's chance and then play them both until one proves himself better or go with whoever is hot and their is a flood of affordable goalie talent at the moment. I am not sold on getting rid of Salo and would like to keep him but if it comes down to trading him now or letting him become a free-agent and get nothin I would trade him now.

we could probably swing a deal like this

to St. Louis:
Salo(in need of a number one)

to Edmonton:
Brent Johnson(potential number one it seems St.Louis is pretty displeased with him)
Shawn Belle(good defensive prospect Edmonton boy)

To Atl:
Shawn Horcoff(we can replace him with Stoll, one of Ninimaki and Pouliot will come up in the next two years and need to make room for them.Atl needs to get rid of a goaltender and need a third line-center)

To Edm:
Pasi Nurminen(potential number one never really got a good shot at it)

Nurminen and Johnson would save us $1.7million dollars then we can trade away the weaker one and move up a year or two older Conklin after or choose a goalie duo like Minnesota.

P.S. Boucher was stellar that one year for Philli in the playoffs I would not write his career off yet.

dawgbone 10-09-2003 02:57 AM

Have you forgotten our Shtalenkov-Essensa experience from a few years ago?

2 backups fighting over the starting position is not going to help the Oilers get into the playoffs this year.

Yanner39 10-09-2003 03:03 AM

I think the goaltending position should be left alone. In the few threads I've read this morning goalies like Dipietro and Boucher were mentioned. C'mon people. Why don't we just bring back Dominic Rousell to backup Kristian Antilla.

We have a top notch goalie in Salo. Dipietro is overrated IMO and Boucher could hack it in Philly and not can't hack it in Phx. Salo will have a rebound year, he loves to play in Edmonton. What more do we want?

FacelessButcher 10-09-2003 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I think the goaltending position should be left alone. In the few threads I've read this morning goalies like Dipietro and Boucher were mentioned. C'mon people. Why don't we just bring back Dominic Rousell to backup Kristian Antilla.

We have a top notch goalie in Salo. Dipietro is overrated IMO and Boucher could hack it in Philly and not can't hack it in Phx. Salo will have a rebound year, he loves to play in Edmonton. What more do we want?

Pasi Nurminen and Brent Johnson are a great deal better than Rousell and Antilla, I am not saying we should trade Salo I love him and hes a really good goalie that is under-rated I am just saying theres justification for doing so and wanted to know if u think Lowe would trade him. He's up for free agency this year and I can't see us resigning him at over $3.9million with built in league salary inflators he should cost us a minimum of $4.29 million next year and I just can't justify that kind of dough for his numbers. I think we should pick up a potential no.1 goalie this year just incase we can not re-sign Tommy and would not want to see us in a disadvantageous position should we be stuck without a starter and trying to trade for one.

would love a deal like this
To San Jose:
Comrie(I think Vinny Damphousse can play wing)

To Edm:
Brad Stuart(injured now but he's a top 4 d-man and a power play quarter back and quite affordable)
Vesa Toskala(San Jose has been a goal tending farm for a few years and this kid looks quite good he just beat Kiprusoff for the back-up job and has had impressive stats in his short NHL experience.)

dawgbone 10-09-2003 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
He's up for free agency this year and I can't see us resigning him at over $3.9million with built in league salary inflators he should cost us a minimum of $4.29 million next year and I just can't justify that kind of dough for his numbers.

The Oilers have two club options remaining, and they are both for the same $3.9 mil he makes now.

FacelessButcher 10-09-2003 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
The Oilers have two club options remaining, and they are both for the same $3.9 mil he makes now.

interesting...ya I see no reason not to keep him then but I would still like the Toskala+Stuart trade

MrMackey 10-09-2003 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
interesting...ya I see no reason not to keep him then but I would still like the Toskala+Stuart trade

I'd love to see that too, but it would never happen. Stuart is being touted as the next captain of the Sharks, and while I don't think that makes him untouchable, I think the Oilers would have to offer up more than a small (abeit talented) centre who is developing a bad reputation surrounding his attitude.