HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Wash will be on Team 1200 at 11:45am (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18408)

SensGod 10-09-2003 07:34 AM

Wash will be on Team 1200 at 11:45am

Oh boy...this could be VERY interesting...

discostu 10-09-2003 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
Oh boy...this could be VERY interesting...

I wonder who will conduct the interview. I want someone to ask the tough questions, but to not be an ass about it either. I actually do want to hear Walsh's responses, especially with regards to how much he's actually negotiating with Sens management.

SensGod 10-09-2003 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discostu
I wonder who will conduct the interview. I want someone to ask the tough questions, but to not be an ass about it either. I actually do want to hear Walsh's responses, especially with regards to how much he's actually negotiating with Sens management.

It'll probably be Galley...but I agree...I can't wait to hear this.

The Lehner 10-09-2003 08:03 AM

Walsh went on about how his offer would make Havlat the 9th highest player on the Senators, which means he would get more than Chris Phillips at $1,750,000. That's ridiculous since all the players above him (Alfie, Redden, Bonk, Hossa, Smoke, Lalime, Chara, Leschyshyn) all had arbitration rights when they signed their deal or they had signed long-term contracts beyond their 5th year like Hossa and Chara so Walsh's demands are frankly ridiculous.

I think Marty is getting some bad advice. The players signed the CBA where restricted free agents without arbitration rights are entitled to a qualifying offer with a 10% raise. Asking for a doubling or tripling of his salary is ridiculous.

I love Marty - he is a great player but the players agreed to the CBA so they need to live up to the CBA. Have fun in the Czech Republic Marty!

discostu 10-09-2003 08:10 AM

QUick comments on the interview:

-As I thought, the comment about compensating Havlat based on his past performance has brought a lot of other comparisons in the mix, like Richards and Gagne. Also, it has brought a lot of comparisions against other Sens players, saying that their offer puts them 5th among Sens forwards and 9th on the team overall.

-Walsh made sure to identify that Havlat has moved from his original position, going from a 2 year deal to a one year deal.

Situation doesn't look good though. Obviously, Havlat's going to have to come back to the NHL some time, but when is the big issue. The presence of other contracts that were over and above what they should be (Richards, Gagne, etc.) are going to make this negotiation difficult. As much as I admire the move pulled by Muckler, iit's quite clear it didn't work out as expected. The Sens still hold all the cards, but Havlat looks to be fairly cemented in his position.

I'm still shocked that the contract talk has focused on one and two year deals, especially when they have a great template like Hossa's to use for a longer term deal.

16w 10-09-2003 09:10 AM

Quote:

I'm still shocked that the contract talk has focused on one and two year deals, especially when they have a great template like Hossa's to use for a longer term deal.

exactly

why is Muckler so adament on paying Havlat significantly less than Hossa???

entering their 4th year, second contracts, both players have produced similar numbers.

its hard to say whether Havlats potential would justify a long term contract with a high scale percentage increase like Hossa's, but at least they could lock up an easy 2 year deal and take it from there....

It seems like Muckler wasnt interested in playing the negotiating game with Walsh :(

my theory is that Biovail's massive stock value dropping has hit the Senators momentarily deep pockets really hard, thus they are cutting costs everywhere

SensGod 10-09-2003 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16w
my theory is that Biovail's massive stock value dropping has hit the Senators momentarily deep pockets really hard, thus they are cutting costs everywhere

Oh yeah...I'm sure...Melnyk ONLY has like a billion in cash... :rolleyes:

peacefrogdog 10-09-2003 09:29 AM

Ottawa's intentions

I get the impression that Ottawa, and most other teams (well,except Tampa Bay with the Richards signing), are trying to get into the habit of being firm, and reversing the practices of teams issuing huge contracts that got the salary problem started in the first place. So I don't think it would have mattered whose contract was up, the Sens would have played hardball with whomever.

I agree thought that it would have made more sense to use the 9 million given to Smolinski and sign Havlat earlier to a 4 year 2.2 million/yr contract if he was willing.

16w 10-09-2003 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
Oh yeah...I'm sure...Melnyk ONLY has like a billion in cash... :rolleyes:

i read in the paper this morning.. Melynk is officially an un-billionaire

these types of things sort of put into perspective how money should be spent wisely no matter how much more you have...

for example, what would have been a better financial decision?

the allocation of 2 million dollars towards an unwanted "free-concert" featuring a bunch of decrepit fossils who probably would have performed for complimentary snacks and alcohol after the show so long as people paid attention to them for more than 15 minutes.... or signing a talented player who might be the final piece of the puzzle for a stanley cup parade in downtown ottawa next summer that the WHOLE city can appreciate (instead of merely 15 499 disinterested seasons ticket holders and the only surviving member of the Eagles Fan-Club *cough*melynk*cough*)

Observer 10-09-2003 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16w
exactly

why is Muckler so adament on paying Havlat significantly less than Hossa???

entering their 4th year, second contracts, both players have produced similar numbers.

its hard to say whether Havlats potential would justify a long term contract with a high scale percentage increase like Hossa's, but at least they could lock up an easy 2 year deal and take it from there....

It seems like Muckler wasnt interested in playing the negotiating game with Walsh :(

He's not. The offer being talked about is $1.35 million for 1 year. Hossa got $1.55 million the first year of his 4-year contract. The Sens gave him more because he was willing to sign long term. Marty's not willing to do that. To him, signing for 4 years denies him two years of being an RFA with arbitration rights and he sees himself getting more if he heads for arbitration (smart kid). So the Sens offer $1.35 million. This is very much in line with the Hossa structure.

There's also a 2 year/$3 million deal proposed by the Sens and rejected by the Havlat camp.

Biovail has nothing to do with the Sens. The only link is Eugene Melnyk, and trust me, Melnyk has/had no intention of running the Sens as a non-viable business. The Sens are owned by a seperate corporation and have their own budget and financial restraints to follow. Muckler doesn't just go up to Melnyk and hold his hand out expecting an inflow of cash to pay for expenditures. The Sens are expected to be able to generate enough revenues to support their expenses (including payroll). With the debt being wiped out, they will likely be able to do so. Biovail (and Eugene Melnyk's personal wealth) have nothing to do with it at all.

Lexicon Devil 10-09-2003 11:35 AM

The Sens are already offering Havlat a better deal than Hossa, despite the fact that Hossa was a better player at the same point.

HF2002 10-09-2003 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16w
i read in the paper this morning.. Melynk is officially an un-billionaire

these types of things sort of put into perspective how money should be spent wisely no matter how much more you have...

for example, what would have been a better financial decision?

the allocation of 2 million dollars towards an unwanted "free-concert" featuring a bunch of decrepit fossils who probably would have performed for complimentary snacks and alcohol after the show so long as people paid attention to them for more than 15 minutes.... or signing a talented player who might be the final piece of the puzzle for a stanley cup parade in downtown ottawa next summer that the WHOLE city can appreciate (instead of merely 15 499 disinterested seasons ticket holders and the only surviving member of the Eagles Fan-Club *cough*melynk*cough*)

While I could care less about the Eagles, what Melnyk does with his own money is his business, not yours. Alan Walsh made a similar comment that the money used to pay the Eagles could have been used to sign Havlat. I say fu*k Walsh and his greediness. Melnyk does something for the fans(at no cost to the fans) and Walsh can only think about how it affects Havlat and Walsh's bottom line? If Havlat endorses this comment then it should be clear to everyone that Havlat is only interested in money and not at all in winning.

16w, are you a long standing season ticket holder? How often do you pay to attend games? Rich people like Melnyk got to be rich because they don't make stupid decisions. Holding a free concert was as much a reward to season ticket holders as it was a marketing gimmick.

Until you own the team don't tell Melnyk what he should do with his own money.

lafite 10-09-2003 02:18 PM

Quote:

Geez, I thought you meant Joe Walsh. You shouldn't ask him any difficult questions.