HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Article on LaBarbera (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=185373)

PrivateFubar 10-26-2005 10:38 AM

Article on LaBarbera

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10467&hubname=

He was outstanding again in net last night vs. the Ducks. TSN now has him ranked as #1 on their player rankings...

:yo:

TubbyTerrion* 10-26-2005 10:43 AM

I liked the fact that the writer points out that 5 starts doesn't a Vezina Trophy (or NHL starting goaltender) make, but I didn't like the fact that he seemed to have lost one of Garon's wins :)

All in all, it's a pretty good day around the Kings net... (as long as Corvo isn't chasing after the puck.)

AnThGrt 10-26-2005 12:30 PM

Lets just hope he keeps it up =)

Beauty, eh? 10-26-2005 01:58 PM

I didn't like LaBarbera at all in pre-season, but man has he turned it up. He's playing great out there. I couldn't believe a couple of the saves he was making last night.

PrivateFubar 10-26-2005 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
I didn't like LaBarbera at all in pre-season, but man has he turned it up. He's playing great out there. I couldn't believe a couple of the saves he was making last night.

I agree. I thought the other goalies, including Hauser, looked better. I hope he keeps it up and the Kings play tough defense in front of him.

:D

TonySCV 10-26-2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?

It's the same reason why we don't want to be hasty anointing him as our #1... let each goalie get 20 games under their belt and then see where they are.

- T

jeffreyaa 10-26-2005 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV
It's the same reason why we don't want to be hasty anointing him as our #1... let each goalie get 20 games under their belt and then see where they are.

- T

Agreed, Tony. Things are working well right now, so let's not jump the gun. The law of averages says that Garon will get more comfortable [and I actually thought he looked pretty decent against Calgary, even though he took the "L"], and LaBarbera will eventually tail off a bit. I think the question is what level Kings mgt thinks both of them will stay at for the long haul- it's about how CONSISTENTLY good you can be, and I think you simply need more games to make that determination. Plus there's the added pressure of being an anointed NHL #1, and both guys are still very young.

All that said, LB has unquestionably taken the early lead, and Garon's got some catching up to do. Then again, it's still a long way until 1/2 way through the season, which is around when I'd expect the coronation either way.

TonySCV 01-03-2006 11:14 PM

We're halfway... and lookie what all has changed. :)

Osprey 01-04-2006 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV
We're halfway... and lookie what all has changed. :)

I'm casting the first vote to have Tony hung upside down by his ankles for bumping an ANCIENT thread ;)

TubbyTerrion* 01-04-2006 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey
I'm casting the first vote to have Tony hung upside down by his ankles for bumping an ANCIENT thread ;)

I did it a few days earlier with the Huselius thread, and this one wasn't half as juicy. I want to see ones where the faithful were dumping Garon down the drainpipe...

Herby 01-04-2006 12:58 AM

This just proves how valuable he was early in the year. Lets be honest, without Labs the Kings aren't in 1st place.

Garon was horrendous the first month.

Osprey 01-04-2006 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herby
Garon was horrendous the first month.

He wasn't that bad. The Kings played "horrendously" in front of him and Garon got all of the harder teams. I argued both of these points until I was blue in the face, but it was so much easier for some to believe that Garon was a bad goalie than to acknowledge the good reasons for why he looked worse than LaBarbera.

TubbyTerrion* 01-04-2006 01:24 AM

Garon was ok the first month. He made far more difficult saves than LaBarbera game in and game out, but always gave up a softer goal than Jason would give up, so the fans who were still reeling from the Roman empire would crucify him and allow no slack. Thank God the fans are not the arbiters of talent.

Bandit 01-04-2006 05:30 AM

Let's just be happy that we have 2 goalies who are trading hot streaks. I hope Garon keeps it up, but if he doesn't I'm sure LaBarbera can regain his early season form by getting a few starts in a row. At any rate, this is a nice problem to have. One that the kings haven't had in, i don't know, EVER?

Good times, noodle salad.