HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Flames scout watching SJ goalies (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18553)

Flamesfan 26 10-09-2003 03:26 PM

Flames scout watching SJ goalies

In an interview on the radio I heard Sutter confirm that he has had scouts at a few of San Joses games. They are said to be watching both backup goaltenders(Kiprusov and Toskala). This would make sense because we need a decent backup and we could probably get one of them pretty cheap also Sutter is familar with the two.

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

its about half way down

Jared Ramsden 10-09-2003 04:06 PM

Either of those two could be had relatively cheap because either one of those two would have to clear waivers before they are sent down. I've always been a big fan of Toskala. But I'd be happy with either one.....

Badger Bob 10-09-2003 05:25 PM

It's also appropriate that Ron Sutter was the scout, who was dispatched to San Jose. He played with the Sharks for a few seasons.

Backup goaltending is definitely an area that can use an upgrade.

calgarylen13 10-09-2003 08:14 PM

Goaltending

What i do not follow, is that a while ago i made a comment on how poor our goaltending situation was, in response to everyone's comment on "our amazing goaltending depth", i was pretty much disregarded for waht i said...To me the facts seem rather clear, and have for a while now, and i finally see that the rest of you are acknowledging what is going on.

This is the situation:
Turek - Below Average starter, has not changed
McLennan - Below Average Backup, his win/loss last year shows that
Sabourin - Give him a go, i don't think he can get too much worse than the two "above" him
Krahn - The only shining light of the lot of them...Get him into the NHL so he can get starting experience on the real level, and only improve. I reckon his worst could be no worse than McLennan's best.

I reckon if we want a decent goalie to start/backup Turek, we need to look to Buffalo, get a Biron/Noronen.

kruezer 10-09-2003 09:07 PM

I think if we could somehow pull of a trade for Biron I would be pumped, I think he's very underrated. I think the Flames have pretty good goalie depth with Krahn, Sabourin, McElhinney and Medvedev in the system....however the NHL goaltenders at the moment are not spectacular.

Badger Bob 10-10-2003 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarylen13
What i do not follow, is that a while ago i made a comment on how poor our goaltending situation was, in response to everyone's comment on "our amazing goaltending depth", i was pretty much disregarded for waht i said...To me the facts seem rather clear, and have for a while now, and i finally see that the rest of you are acknowledging what is going on.

This is the situation:
McLennan - Below Average Backup, his win/loss last year shows that
Sabourin - Give him a go, i don't think he can get too much worse than the two "above" him
Krahn - The only shining light of the lot of them...Get him into the NHL so he can get starting experience on the real level, and only improve. I reckon his worst could be no worse than McLennan's best.

I reckon if we want a decent goalie to start/backup Turek, we need to look to Buffalo, get a Biron/Noronen.

Not everyone remarked about "our amazing goaltending depth."

Turek has the capability to perform better, but he seems to be the type of goalie who plays better with a good team in front of him (Dallas & St. Louis). He had a four-hour talk with Daryl Sutter about what was expected. If a defenseman neglects to check Todd Bertuzzi in, at point blank range, Turek can hardly be faulted for allowing a PP goal. Getting back to the original point, the team might as well find a way to work with him, because his contract isn't going to get moved any time soon.

All the hype about the Jennings Trophy came from Craig Button. McLennan came for a 9th round pick from a brand new expansion team, who had him in the minors the previous season. Doubt that anybody here expected much of him. He's far from the answer. To be fair he didn't play as poorly as his win/loss record indicates.

Sabourin could receive some decent tips from Arturs Irbe. He'll see more time in net at Lowell, so that really wasn't a bad decision.

Krahn...backup NHL duty wouldn't serve him well, at this point. He needs to play, not sit on the bench watching Turek. Las Vegas was the best of all options, considering the logjam of prospects and the joint venture with Carolina's AHL affiliate.

Medvedev could end up being a wild car among the group. If, and that's a big if, he could get himself into shape, the Flames have an asset.

The suggestion of looking toward Buffalo was made by me on this board, before the trade deadline last season. (Others picked up on it, then started posting proposals on the Trade Rumors board.) The thinking was that Button could attempt to pass off Turek to Boston, who instead acquired Jeff Hackett. Biron is a starter. No way would he be happy coming to Calgary to backup Turek. Noronen would seem to be the odd man out in Buffalo, as Miller appears to be the designated goalie of the future for the Sabres.

All of this might prove to be moot, since Ron Sutter has been scouting in San Jose for a backup goalie. Hey, maybe the Sharks will start Toskala or Kiprusoff on Saturday night to help make everybody's job easier! ;)

Flames Draft Watcher 10-10-2003 01:49 PM

Quote:

This is the situation:

Well his numbers in St. Louis wouldn't speak to that. Turek is a guy who can rebound. Turek is a guy who can still improve, especially now that we have a full time goaltending coach. He's talked about how he has never received close instruction like he is now. If Marcoux can help Turek iron out some the weak points in his game then he has changed and you pigeonholing him as a below average starter would be incorrect.

We'll have to see but I hold some hope that Roman will have a far better year.

calgarylen13 10-10-2003 08:32 PM

Everyone was a generalization, i didn't specifically mean absolutely every single poster on the board. It just frustrates me to see that the same problems is what is causing the Flames to choke. To me, the most important part of the game is Goaltending, and if you have good goaltending you can build from there. Unfortunately we have not had that for a very long time.
I'm not too sure about Sabourin, so i will not comment there, but when talking of Krahn, i think he should be starting in the NHL. No better way to learn than going straight in, even if he struggles for a few seasons, at least we know he'll get better. With Turek, it seems that he never changes...sure he had a good season for St. Louis, but taking into consideration the awesome defence in front of him, and his poor post season with the Blues, you have to wonder if he ever really was that good, or was he always the same inconsistent goaltender in disguise?
However, i do think more time in the minors would benefit Krahn more then sending him straight in, I just reckon we need someone to be a decent goaltender, and to say that backup goaltending could do with an upgrade, is a good laugh as it seems clear goaltending in general at the Flames could do with a liquidation sale and starting fresh. (keep Krahn thats it)

Badger Bob 10-11-2003 06:04 AM

Quote:

I just reckon we need someone to be a decent goaltender, and to say that backup goaltending could do with an upgrade, is a good laugh as it seems clear goaltending in general at the Flames could do with a liquidation sale and starting fresh.

Well, yeah, but unless there's a way to trade Turek & his hefty contract, Sutter's just going to have to find a way to get the most out of him. At least the backup goaltending is an area that can be reasonably addressed.