HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Was Semenov healthy scratch or is he (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18615)

Derek 10-09-2003 08:16 PM

Was Semenov healthy scratch or is he

injured. why didn't he play. Is he 7th Dman now? Is he overrated?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 10-09-2003 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
injured. why didn't he play. Is he 7th Dman now? Is he overrated?

Healthy scratch I think. Somewhat of a wake-up call I'm guessing, he'd been a little off this preseason. No worries though, I'm sure he'll be back soon, and the guy is flat-out good, so he should be fine.

Mowzie 10-09-2003 08:43 PM

MAB looked sharp, Who comes out to make room for Semi next game, chances are they will want his size for Vancouver. My guess is Fergy sits.

Derek 10-10-2003 07:19 PM

Semenov

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Healthy scratch I think. Somewhat of a wake-up call I'm guessing, he'd been a little off this preseason. No worries though, I'm sure he'll be back soon, and the guy is flat-out good, so he should be fine.

I don't think he is good, he's just big thats all. He will struggle this year to stay in Edmonton.

MrMackey 10-10-2003 10:18 PM

Quote:

I don't think he is good, he's just big thats all. He will struggle this year to stay in Edmonton.

Given your first set of questions, it sounds like you don't know anything about him... care to elaborate on why he's no good?

Many here (including myself) feel he has the tools to become a solid number 1/2 defenseman, but I'd like to understand why I was under such misconceptions.

Malefic74 10-10-2003 10:57 PM

Heard Moores today say that basically it was numbers and they were rewarding Bergeron and Ferguson for their solid camps. The way he talked it sounded like these three will be rotating throughout the season barring injuries.

Lowetide 10-11-2003 03:51 AM

According to this morning's (Saturday's) Journal, Semenov will sit again tonight because of Bergeron and Ferguson's strong game against SJ.

The only real concern is that Semenov is still pretty young and should be playing. imo he certainly has tremendous upside, and the press box is just about the worst place for him to be; he'd be better off zipping over to Toronto for a week or two.

kraigus 10-11-2003 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowetide
According to this morning's (Saturday's) Journal, Semenov will sit again tonight because of Bergeron and Ferguson's strong game against SJ.

The only real concern is that Semenov is still pretty young and should be playing. imo he certainly has tremendous upside, and the press box is just about the worst place for him to be; he'd be better off zipping over to Toronto for a week or two.

I don't think I could agree more. I mean, I like Fergie, and MAB gets the benefit of the doubt - for now - but Semi played well enough last year, and I thought well enough at TC, to get more than a ticket to sit upstairs two games in a row. Send him to TO instead, he'd get some decent playing time there at least.

jadeddog 10-11-2003 07:35 AM

does semenov have to clear waivers to go to toronto? if so, maybe thats why he was sat instead of sent down

but i agree wholeheartedly that semenov looks to be a good solid NHL defensemen.... but as we know ALL too well, it takes most dmen a while to adjust to the NHL game, give this kid some more playing time this season and im sure he wont dissapoint most of the time

s7ark 10-11-2003 07:49 AM

I think this kid is going to be a star. He'll prolly sit the first few games and when he realizes he has to try in the NHL and can't coast on talent anymore, he'll be something special. I think a top line of Brewer and Semenov will be around for quite a few years.

Digger12 10-11-2003 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraigus
I don't think I could agree more. I mean, I like Fergie, and MAB gets the benefit of the doubt - for now - but Semi played well enough last year, and I thought well enough at TC, to get more than a ticket to sit upstairs two games in a row. Send him to TO instead, he'd get some decent playing time there at least.

The problem with that is, who do you bring up to take his place in the pressbox?

The best two Dmen down there are Luoma and Allen, and they need ice time to develop just as much as Semenov does. After them the pickings are slim. No way I want penalty machines like Thompson or Horacek up here, they don't deserve it.

I agree he needs ice time, but he's just going to have to wait his turn to get it. If he has to face competition to get it, I don't see that as a bad thing.

IceDragoon 10-11-2003 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadeddog
does semenov have to clear waivers to go to toronto?

No.

It won't hurt him to sit a couple of games.
And it just might light a fire under him. imo - that's what the coaches want.

theoil 10-11-2003 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceDragoon
No.

It won't hurt him to sit a couple of games.
And it just might light a fire under him. imo - that's what the coaches want.

Agreed. And remember that he had a lousy to mediocre training camp last year as well when Henry jumped past him in the depth chart. If this makes him a little bit hungrier it is all worthwhile. And I also think he has to clear waivers to go down to TO.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 10-11-2003 11:03 AM

MacTavish said in the Journal that Ferguson played a good game on Thursday.....wake up MacT :rolleyes: Wait a minute, it took him 50-some games with Cleary........uh oh.

dem 10-11-2003 11:05 AM

Fergy WAS a +2 that game....

IceDragoon 10-11-2003 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theoil
And I also think he has to clear waivers to go down to TO.

He's 22 and entering his 3rd year under contract. He played 1 1/2 years in Hamilton and 1/2 year here. If I'm wrong, I'm sure that someone will correct me, but I don't think he's eligible * for waivers.

edit *

kraigus 10-11-2003 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger12
The problem with that is, who do you bring up to take his place in the pressbox?

The best two Dmen down there are Luoma and Allen, and they need ice time to develop just as much as Semenov does. After them the pickings are slim. No way I want penalty machines like Thompson or Horacek up here, they don't deserve it.

I agree he needs ice time, but he's just going to have to wait his turn to get it. If he has to face competition to get it, I don't see that as a bad thing.

In the meantime, he's 22 and sitting in a pressbox. I agreed last year that sitting Hemmer for a while was a good thing, but he was 18. Semi's a different situation.

What's wrong with having Thompson or Horacek in the pressbox? It'd take a pretty big cheapshot to get a penalty from sitting up there.

I was wondering about the waivers thing; no way he'd clear them if he had to.

elphy101 10-11-2003 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraigus
In the meantime, he's 22 and sitting in a pressbox. I agreed last year that sitting Hemmer for a while was a good thing, but he was 18. Semi's a different situation.

What's wrong with having Thompson or Horacek in the pressbox? It'd take a pretty big cheapshot to get a penalty from sitting up there.

I was wondering about the waivers thing; no way he'd clear them if he had to.

I just don't understand why Ferguson is not the 7th defensemen. I would love to see a 5/6 pairing of Semenov and Bergeron. Why is Ferguson not the 7th dmen, he's a good player, and everything but he would be the perfect 7th dmen for Edmonton.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 10-11-2003 05:55 PM

MacTavish...I'm thinking he has almost become Cleary-esque in the amount of lee-way he has from MacTavish. Ferguson is a fine #7, but he's just too far behind the pace to be out there game-in game-out.

Derek 10-12-2003 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMackey
Given your first set of questions, it sounds like you don't know anything about him... care to elaborate on why he's no good?

Many here (including myself) feel he has the tools to become a solid number 1/2 defenseman, but I'd like to understand why I was under such misconceptions.

Sorry I have been working and did not have a chance to reply. I would say he is OK, good, decent, but not 'flat out good' or a #1/2 dman as stated by others in their point of view.
Here is my analysis.
skating -OK not exceptional
puck handling -decent
hockey sense -OK
shot -very hard, accurate, but he is not quick enougt to get into position to use it much
hitting -OK but not punishing
toughness -will respond if challenged, but does not initiate. not the grit of J Smith or Staois
the main redemming quality is his size.
I know it takes longer for dmen to develop, especially big dmen.
He has had very poor starts to his seasons.
I like Semenov, nothing personal, I just don't see him as a top 1/2 dman,
maybe eventually he could be in the top 4, but not at the rate he is going.
That's my opinion, maybe I'm wrong and if he turns into a top dman this year or next, please tell me you told me so.

coyote 10-12-2003 07:03 AM

Quote:

Sorry I have been working and did not have a chance to reply. I would say he is OK, good, decent, but not 'flat out good' or a #1/2 dman as stated by others in their point of view.
Here is my analysis.
skating -OK not exceptional
puck handling -decent
hockey sense -OK
shot -very hard, accurate, but he is not quick enougt to get into position to use it much
hitting -OK but not punishing
toughness -will respond if challenged, but does not initiate. not the grit of J Smith or Staois
the main redemming quality is his size.
I know it takes longer for dmen to develop, especially big dmen.
He has had very poor starts to his seasons.
I like Semenov, nothing personal, I just don't see him as a top 1/2 dman,
maybe eventually he could be in the top 4, but not at the rate he is going.
That's my opinion, maybe I'm wrong and if he turns into a top dman this year or next, please tell me you told me so.

After last night I don't think it would hirt to give him a shot. He has all the tools just got to get that shot off faster.