HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   haven't we seen that before? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18659)

krt88 10-10-2003 01:03 AM

haven't we seen that before?
 
I found it funny how all the changes made in the off season and all the fans talk about their excitement didn't seem to make one bit of difference in game one last night. The Sabres were pushed around, played without any passion or excitement and their powerplay was a joke (again). How can you not play more passionate on opening night?

I know it was only one game but wow, it was a real punch in the stomach. Perhaps Darcy should put the for sale sign up at his house now, because the team gave us no reason (ok one Ryan Miller was one reason) to feel like things will be better this season after watching yesterdays game. Disappoint reigned last night!

The scary thing is our October schedule is brutal. The Isles and Dallas and then a 6 game western road trip. Its not unrealistic that our season could be sunk by October 31st.


LETS GO BUFFALO - time to wake up and play your game!

billsandsabres 10-10-2003 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krt88
I found it funny how all the changes made in the off season and all the fans talk about their excitement didn't seem to make one bit of difference in game one last night. The Sabres were pushed around, played without any passion or excitement and their powerplay was a joke (again). How can you not play more passionate on opening night?

I know it was only one game but wow, it was a real punch in the stomach. Perhaps Darcy should put the for sale sign up at his house now, because the team gave us no reason (ok one Ryan Miller was one reason) to feel like things will be better this season after watching yesterdays game. Disappoint reigned last night!

The scary thing is our October schedule is brutal. The Isles and Dallas and then a 6 game western road trip. Its not unrealistic that our season could be sunk by October 31st.


LETS GO BUFFALO - time to wake up and play your game!

i agree the game was a bit disappointing, but i think you are being a little hard on them
i didn't see a lack of effort, i saw dumb penalties and mishaps in their own end
afinogenov was flying around the ice and skating very hard
chris drury was full of fire and there were plenty of scrums
and i even though jp dumont played pretty well

yes, the sabres lost, but it could have been much worse

imyourhuckleberry 10-10-2003 08:51 AM

they just failed to get the forecheck going real good, and im not sure if it was lack of effort as much as it was the flyers defense and forwards coming back to help out. I cant even remember buffalo getting a good cycle going in the flyer end. If Brier would have put that puck away in the opening minutes it would have been a completly different game, oh well, many more games to come, and to improve on!

BG43 10-10-2003 09:05 AM

I'd much rather lose the first two games of the season and then go on to improve and make the playoffs in the end.. than win the first two in a big way.. get our hopes up.. only to go on to miss the playoffs (for example, last season)

They'll be better.. it was one game.. Philly was better.. they deserved the win

imyourhuckleberry 10-10-2003 09:15 AM

I just hate losing to philly, toronto, and dallas, i dislike their fans heartily too! I can handle just about any other team though

cybresabre 10-10-2003 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BironsGirl43
I'd much rather lose the first two games of the season and then go on to improve and make the playoffs in the end.. than win the first two in a big way.. get our hopes up.. only to go on to miss the playoffs (for example, last season)

They'll be better.. it was one game.. Philly was better.. they deserved the win

I agree, especially with the last line.

we couldn't put in our pp chances, they did.

Tra La La 10-10-2003 10:32 AM

same coach, same system= requires goaltender shutout.

lecherous 10-10-2003 10:36 AM

I'm not going to get upset after 1 game, due to how they started last season. BUT... I didn't like the effort I saw last night either. They did a good job in their zone when it was even strength, and Miller played great....but that offense...man. Maybe it was Hitchcock's system and the Philly D, but I don't think they could have scored on anyone last night.

Kozak72 10-10-2003 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billsandsabres
i agree the game was a bit disappointing, but i think you are being a little hard on them
i didn't see a lack of effort, i saw dumb penalties and mishaps in their own end
afinogenov was flying around the ice and skating very hard
chris drury was full of fire and there were plenty of scrums
and i even though jp dumont played pretty well

yes, the sabres lost, but it could have been much worse


I even think I saw Dumont playing some D last night. Drury, Max and Miller were the only bright spots. Fitzy was solid too.

Takeo 10-10-2003 11:36 AM

I really don't understand where all this talk of change is coming from. I mean, we picked up Drury, another small 20 goal scorer, who will only replace, not really upgrade, Warrener's grit and leadership and Delmore, a defensive liability who will chip in a few PP goals. It's pretty much the same team, same coach, same system, same softness, etc., etc. Last night was no big surprise. (sorry, bad day)

buffalowing 10-10-2003 08:17 PM

I believe this year, if the Sabres do not have a good winning percentage, the Sabres will make a trade and shake things up, unlike the last 6 years. Especially if both Regier and Ruff's job is on the line. I say, if the Sabres start out like last season by November, we should trade Brown, Zhitnik and Biron, let Miller be the #1 goalie, bring up Roy and Janik to fill their spots and start a major rebuilding phase.

Tra La La 10-11-2003 02:34 AM

A lot depends on Cris Drury, if he starts going the way Sanderson did. and the team is losing becuase it can't score.Larry Q. will get out the axe. Drury was his guy,(and niel smiths) he won't accept that he is'nt scoring and won't blame the player.

krt88 10-11-2003 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffalowing
I believe this year, if the Sabres do not have a good winning percentage, the Sabres will make a trade and shake things up, unlike the last 6 years. Especially if both Regier and Ruff's job is on the line. I say, if the Sabres start out like last season by November, we should trade Brown, Zhitnik and Biron, let Miller be the #1 goalie, bring up Roy and Janik to fill their spots and start a major rebuilding phase.



You say, Darcy would shake things up and make a trade, but then you say rebuild by bringing up Roy and Janik. No way that happens. Darcy job is on the line. He's been told make the playoffs or else. If this team struggles they'll likely shop some of the young talent for some leadership and proven players.

A bad start could be the worst thing for this franchise, because Darcy would be forced to deal from a serious position of weakness.

imyourhuckleberry 10-11-2003 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krt88

You say, Darcy would shake things up and make a trade, but then you say rebuild by bringing up Roy and Janik. No way that happens. Darcy job is on the line. He's been told make the playoffs or else. If this team struggles they'll likely shop some of the young talent for some leadership and proven players.

A bad start could be the worst thing for this franchise, because Darcy would be forced to deal from a serious position of weakness.


It's about time someone gave Regier and other management an ultimatum like make playoffs or else. I don't know about anyone else but if I underachieved at my job for 3 years in a row I'd get fired...and they wouldn't even wait 3 years...the same can be said for the players, i hope they feel the pressure as well and realize their job is to win.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.