HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How long will Julien last? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18698)

Dragon 10-10-2003 06:13 AM

How long will Julien last?

do you think he'll resign if we lost 15 straight games?

Darz 10-10-2003 06:16 AM

First off, we ain't losing 15 straight games, Julien isn't resiging, etc. etc.

Yes last night's game was tough to watch, but it was only one game, and it was versus maybe the best team in the league. A win Saturday against Toronto will make things look alot better.

mcphee 10-10-2003 06:20 AM

i can make a lot of cash distributing Prozac today.

danboulie 10-10-2003 06:21 AM

I agree with Darz, we aren't losing 15 straight, and Julien isn't going to resign.
If this is all I'm going to hear all season is "when is Julien going to get fired" and "This year is a tank because they're going for ovechkin" and all that other nonsense then I might resign.

Gros Bill 10-10-2003 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
i can make a lot of cash distributing Prozac today.

Remember that commercial with Jacques Laperrière? It was for Anacin, I think. Anyway, that line came back to me last night, seeing CJ behind the bench. "When h'I get a 'eadache, h'its a bad one".

(I think Fergie did the one in French, no kidding).

mcphee 10-10-2003 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphotic
I agree with Darz, we aren't losing 15 straight, and Julien isn't going to resign.
If this is all I'm going to hear all season is "when is Julien going to get fired" and "This year is a tank because they're going for ovechkin" and all that other nonsense then I might resign.

Wait a minute, do you mean from the board , or from the Habs ? Is Aphotic actually CJ ? Has all this talk of bingo been a subterfuge ? Egads, we've been duped.

BLONG7 10-10-2003 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
First off, we ain't losing 15 straight games, Julien isn't resiging, etc. etc.

Yes last night's game was tough to watch, but it was only one game, and it was versus maybe the best team in the league. A win Saturday against Toronto will make things look alot better.

Well said, it's only one game guys, easydoes it. A couple of deflections go in, if they hadn't it would have been alot closer. The Sens took advantage of their opportunities, the Habs didn't. Koivu is definitely missed. Our PP was brutal until the last one of the game. Too little too late. Please no fire the coach threads!

mcphee 10-10-2003 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Remember that commercial with Jacques Laperrière? It was for Anacin, I think. Anyway, that line came back to me last night, seeing CJ behind the bench. "When h'I get a 'eadache, h'its a bad one".

(I think Fergie did the one in French, no kidding).

I remember Lappy's commercial. imagine making money on your accent. Hmm, Lambert did it, and the Boomer made a career out of it. Fergy actually spoke French on television ? That must have been funny.

Gros Bill 10-10-2003 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
Wait a minute, do you mean from the board , or from the Habs ? Is Aphotic actually CJ ? Has all this talk of bingo been a subterfuge ? Egads, we've been duped.

Maybe Aphotic just has "I" problems

Dragon 10-10-2003 06:34 AM

I am not pushing my panic button here. I understand it is one game. And we played against the best team in the league. However, I make that statement because I truly believe we may only win 3-4 games within the first 15 games with CJ as our coach. He can only work with good players. Let him coach in Colorado he can do the job. I don't think CJ is the right coach for this team. He does not know how to make lines and ultilize his players.

It is good that we have Doug Jarvis waiting on the wing. He is 10 times better than CJ.

But we may have to settle for CJ for the whole year as it is our rebuilding year. Win/Lose.. the Management won't care much.

Darz 10-10-2003 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon
It is good that we have Doug Jarvis waiting on the wing. He is 10 times better than CJ.

Just curious.....why do you think Doug Jarvis is 10x better than CJ???

Dragon 10-10-2003 06:46 AM

I concluded Jarvis is 10 times better than CJ after watching the practices. Their attitude during the practise. The system they practice in the session.

Including last 10 games in last season, pre-season and last night. Do you know what's CJ's record? 4-15!!!! my god...

Darz 10-10-2003 06:53 AM

Quote:

I concluded Jarvis is 10 times better than CJ after watching the practices. Their attitude during the practise. The system they practice in the session.

Including last 10 games in last season, pre-season and last night. Do you know what's CJ's record? 4-15!!!! my god...

First off, throw out preseason records. they are truely meaningless.

Secondly, are we talking about the Hamilton practices versus the habs pratices???

Don't you think saying a rookie coach is 10x better than an established coach after watching one pratice is a little too quick on the draw.

You may be right with your assessment, I just think a rookie AHL head coach needs at least a few games before being deemed 10x better than anything.

Kirk Muller 10-10-2003 07:02 AM

Quote:

Strangely enough, Claude Julien was widely renowned as the best coach outside the NHL, does that now make Jarvis the best coach outside the NHL already? Has he even coach a regular season AHL game yet, practice, practice, practice, how the hell do you know if that will translate to success, simple you don't, why because at this point he has no real coaching record. Could he be a better coach in the futur? Possible. Will he be? WAY TOO SOON TO MAKE A CALL.

Although you state otherwise, indeed the panic button is getting a little worn out, not just by you of course, the game night thread all but killed it. I get the feeling Montreal could have won the first 20 games, and then lost the next one, and certain fans would be jumping off the bandwagon declaring the season a bust. The only people pushing the panic button obviously had expectations above what is reality. The only way one can be truly disappointed in this team is if they have unrealistic expectations.

habsfansam 10-10-2003 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
You may be right with your assessment, I just think a rookie AHL head coach needs at least a few games before being deemed 10x better than anything.

AMEN!!

CJ was considered one of the best coaches outside of the NHL before he got the habs job... how is it that another guy who has not been a headcoach until now is FAR better. It is an absurd thought.

Also, if you think that Julien, known as a teacher, is the wrong choice who do you think will make this machine run to your expectations... realisitically, what coach could take this team all the way?? Our older guys aren't tops in the league, and our younger guys are still very young. Far too young to save the franchise immediately.

I think that Julien will stay for at least 2 seasons, time enough to have an effect on the young guys and to get us to another level. If he progresses with the teams young players then we may have gotten a real coach who can take us somewhere.

Lay off the coach-bashing...

Dragon 10-10-2003 07:19 AM

Just a note that Doug Jarvis did coach in AHL before

http://www.theahl.com/AHLNews0307/31.html

deandebean 10-10-2003 08:00 AM

Quote:

Wow. Talk about the quote of the year on this board. :lol:

deandebean 10-10-2003 08:03 AM

Quote:

I am not pushing my panic button here. I understand it is one game. And we played against the best team in the league. However, I make that statement because I truly believe we may only win 3-4 games within the first 15 games with CJ as our coach. He can only work with good players. Let him coach in Colorado he can do the job. I don't think CJ is the right coach for this team. He does not know how to make lines and ultilize his players.

But we may have to settle for CJ for the whole year as it is our rebuilding year. Win/Lose.. the Management won't care much.

He is 10 times better ??? Who are you, a coaching guru? Have you SEEN Jarvis coach? For all we know, he's a decent assistant. But as a coach, he's got to show me some stuff. Man, some people are fickle.

CJ is not a "rebuilding" coach. He's the perfect coach to impliment a system throughout the organisation. Because that's what he does best. He's a teacher, not a raw-raw coach. If Jarvis comes in with this club, you think the Habs will win more games? Are you kidding me? This team is dreadfull. That's why it needs a system.

deandebean 10-10-2003 08:07 AM

Quote:

Just a note that Doug Jarvis did coach in AHL before

http://www.theahl.com/AHLNews0307/31.html

If we go by your logic, Jarvis is a dud as a AHL coach. Look at his record.

Dragon 10-10-2003 08:23 AM

I simply cannot see when, what, where is the system CJ implemented. Anyone?

Guy! 10-10-2003 08:23 AM

Unbelievable.

All this thread indicates to me is that there are actually people out there who would call for the coach's head after one game.

One game.

I'm not sure if I should be angry at the obvious ignorance of how the game develops or if I should laugh at the hilarity of such a comment.

Julien may very well be fired this year, he's not Gainey's 'man' and usually a GM wants a coach that works within the system that said GM plans to implement. However, calling for his head after one game - against the best team in hockey - because of a loss which, admittedly, looked weak at times, is ludicrous.

For all of you who couldn't see the 'system' and don't understand why they didn't play it for 60 minutes, then all I can say is that you have a) little understanding of hockey, and b) little understanding of humans.

The system was there. We had stretches where we played very, very well. I'll freely admit that they were few and far between, but they were there and that tells me the opportunity to improve is great.

Then there's the human equation. These are players who, and let's be honest here, have not played the 1-2-2 or any other kind of defensive system, in years. Yes, they've had a month of practices (whoopee) and a handful of exhibition games. But it takes time. To expect them to come out into the regular season and play the perfect system is...well, it's unrealistic. It takes time to gel. Both the players and the coaches have to sit down and evaluate what they saw last night and then make adjustments. (Actually, playing against the number one team in the league first was a good thing because you tend to learn faster.)

And they're going to have to do it constantly for the first part of the season.

If after game 20 or 25 you see the same type of play as you did last night, then when you call for the coach's head, I can assure you Gainey is on the same page with you.

But for now, let's just let them learn and improve instead of calling for change because of one loss.

*sighs* It always amazes me how the 'most knowledgeable fans' in hockey can say some of the silliest things.

A concerned fan.

Dragon 10-10-2003 08:28 AM

I guess all of you forgot CJ did coach us last season. Yes he came in in the middle of the season but you cannot say he did not work on implementing a system since last year.

A good coach like Pat Burn can turn around a team within 10-15 games. And how much game did CJ coach our team? If your answer is one then I am wordless.

Dragon 10-10-2003 08:30 AM

And one more thing, I did not call for CJ's head after the season opener. I am just asking what's the tolerance do you think the management has before they find another coach.

Jeez.. it has been a while since I see the Habs WIN!

NWT Habs Fan 10-10-2003 08:41 AM

I would also point out to the CJ bashers that he and the players all admitted that there were some serious breakdowns in last night's game where their new system was abandoned in favour of "old bad habits". That is not unexpected as it takes time for a new system to become natural for a team of 23 players. It takes time to change previously programmed behaviours. It takes time to undo the total lack of system that these players have been playing under the previous coaching regime.

CJ is a teacher. Joey talked about how he knows that CJ watches the games tapes and knows what went wrong and why they won or lost. He will build on this game and make adjustments.

It takes time to make all these changes, so all I ask is that others grant CJ the time and please park the coach-canning bandwagon and the Ovechkin-lottery bandwagon. That behaviour is typical of the fans supporting another Canadian original six team (who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent), let's not stoop to that level of whining and impatience.

Marksman 10-10-2003 08:50 AM

Quote:

No. Because he will be fired much before that. I can only hope if and when it comes to that Gainey will find someone who has coaching experience at NHL level. Preferably with some sort of success.