HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Your Avery opinion? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18737)

Kings Fanatic 10-10-2003 08:29 AM

Your Avery opinion?

He seems to be a favored topic of discussion. So do you like him or not? Is he a valuable contributor? Personally, I'm on the fence still. Took too many penalties last night but I think he could be a great agitator with a little skill as well. Maybe a little time in Manchester would help his game.

agentfouser 10-10-2003 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kings Fanatic
He seems to be a favored topic of discussion. So do you like him or not? Is he a valuable contributor? Personally, I'm on the fence still. Took too many penalties last night but I think he could be a great agitator with a little skill as well. Maybe a little time in Manchester would help his game.

he takes too many penalties. if he is going to be a pest, he needs to draw penalties, not take them. with that in mind, time in manchester isn't what he needs, because he's already got minor-pro experience and in manchester he would probably play a different role. no, what he needs is less ice-time and several years to grow up and start playing with his head a little more.

sigepcsun 10-10-2003 09:59 AM

Avery

I am sorry for all the Avery fans of the world..but in my opinion he does more to disrupt the flow of the Kings game at times than his opponents...I would limit his ice time until he learns the fine art of being a successfull pest ( a la Mike Ricci, today or Theoren Fleury,5 years ago, or even Lappy) without taking too many stupid penalties. The Kings penalty kill which played like the whole game needs some time to get its timing down, and it would be helpful to not have all that time to practice at once during the first game of the season. :rant:

I agree he needs to draw penalties not take them all the time!!!!
Isn't he supposed to be a member of the famed "energy line" last night he just drained the Kings energy having to kill his lame penalties.

tc 10-10-2003 10:01 AM

I think there is a lot of upside to Sean Avery. I think the way he played last night is one of two bad scenarios. The other is the way he plays may lead to retaliation against his teammates.

I think he can be very effective. I just think he was trying too hard last night against his former team. Don't right him off just yet...

Kearney 10-10-2003 10:44 AM

yeah, just a little too much testosterone last night, and some homer calls by the stripes. He was incredible in Vegas. Did anybody add up how many penalty minutes he drew in that one?

funky 10-10-2003 01:05 PM

Avery should be nothing more then a 3rd line energy player who plays 10-12 minutes a night. He has to play his in your face chippy game and he could mature into a mini-Tucker type player.

Probably a little pumped against the Wings and the Funeral might have had him of his game a bit.

All in all, it is to early in the season to judge. Lets give him 10-15 games and see what kinda trend emerges.

swinginutter* 10-10-2003 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funky
Avery should be nothing more then a 3rd line energy player who plays 10-12 minutes a night. He has to play his in your face chippy game and he could mature into a mini-Tucker type player.

Probably a little pumped against the Wings and the Funeral might have had him of his game a bit.

All in all, it is to early in the season to judge. Lets give him 10-15 games and see what kinda trend emerges.

I agree. I think we're all jumping the gun a bit on this guy. I think he was pumped up to play in Detroit, and wanted to prove something to them. Plus, it's the Wings and they get every stupid *****ing call imaginable. Some of the penalties were a joke. They do the same ***** and the ref just watches! The Lidstrom penalty in the end was pathetic. Avery needs to be a bit smarter and that will come with time. But i'm gald we have em' and so will EVERYBODY in time! He was insane in Vegas, and he'll continue to go after every super star in the league.

TubbyTerrion* 10-12-2003 08:05 AM

I can't stand Sean Avery on a number of levels, and I kinda like him on a few others. My take is that he is not a proven NHL commodity, who after being unable to crack the six minute barrier in Detroit for a couple of seasons, found his way to LA where his ice time automatically more than doubled, and he found himself a regular on a team that was desperate for bodies. Fine. So training camp comes along, and the season seat holders have all been sent a DVD that announces Avery as a third line winger with Belanger and Laperriere. Not fine. This guy has done NOTHING to prove he is an NHL caliber player. So I observe during camp. Some days I think he's a potential NHL player, and other days I think he's a gnat that needs to be swatted all the way to Manchester. See, in Detroit, they could afford to have a guy like him skate for 6 minutes, and when he outlived his usefulness, they shuttled him off to Grand Rancid. He comes to LA, and we don't give him six minutes, we give him fourteen... and god knows if the guy wasn't needed to produce offensively in Detroit, he certainly IS needed to produce something offensively on a team that had one player with more than 40 points last year.

His schtick wears thin IMHO, and the officials know what he's all about, so some nights he will NOT be getting the benefit of the doubt. The crowd remains amused as he hits the ice and immediately goes into comedic-mode, but unless he can pop a few in the net, or at least continue to make Eric Belanger an overachiever (there's not much hope for Lappy, even if Mario was playing with him), I have little use for Sean Avery.