HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Number of hits (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18843)

coyote 10-10-2003 04:55 PM

Number of hits

If they kept that stat; which they should; Jason Chimera would be the top guy on the Oilers.

Oi'll say! 10-10-2003 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coyote
If they kept that stat; which they should; Jason Chimera would be the top guy on the Oilers.

He would have been their hardest hitter by far last season, that's for sure. Torres will give him a run for his money this year though. The Oilers aren't going to be a fun team to play against this season if those two are healthy.

OilBeDrillin' 10-10-2003 05:27 PM

not a particularly quality topic, although i do disagree with your opinion.
did you happen to see Raffi Torres last night? if you were on the opposing team with a shift against Torres, chances are slim to none that you will get by without being put on your ass.
in other words, Torres hits absolutely everything that moves and isnt wearing the same sweater as he.

although somewhat off topic, a Torres-Chimera-Laraque is as electrifying as it'll come with this Oiler roster, in my opinion.
is Chimera not better fit for the 4th line energy role than Horcoff?

Oi'll say! 10-10-2003 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilBeDrillin'
did you happen to see Raffi Torres last night? if you were on the opposing team with a shift against Torres, chances are slim to none that you will get by without being put on your ass.
in other words, Torres hits absolutely everything that moves and isnt wearing the same sweater as he.

although somewhat off topic, a Torres-Chimera-Laraque is as electrifying as it'll come with this Oiler roster, in my opinion.

MacT said that Chimmer won't be moved to center here, and to this point in his career JC has shown an ability to finish correctly (by that I mean he makes the right moves/plays in close) and use his speed and forechecking effectively. There's no reason for him to be on the 4th line anymore.

Horc does everything you want a center to do, but we have some proven scorers ahead of him in the pecking order right now, and he's very effective where he is. I don't think a switch is needed at this point, and a TLC line would be like putting all your eggs in one basket. IMO it's good to have at least one big hitter on each line.

IceDragoon 10-10-2003 05:40 PM

Quote:

Chimmer looked fine where he was last night. It's only the first game and I would like to watch these lines play together for a while, before we start shuffling. Isn't that one of the biggest complaints about MacT? Besides, I don't think I could handle having a 'Choque' line. ;)

coyote 10-10-2003 05:46 PM

Quote:

Hitting is a very important part of the north american game so I would disagree that it is not a quality topic. Our game is leaning towards the European style of game and I for one do not like it. If we continue in this direction the stands will be empty. Skill is still the most important thing but a good hit gets the fans buzzing.

OilBeDrillin' 10-10-2003 06:05 PM

Quote:

Hitting is a very important part of the north american game so I would disagree that it is not a quality topic. Our game is leaning towards the European style of game and I for one do not like it. If we continue in this direction the stands will be empty. Skill is still the most important thing but a good hit gets the fans buzzing.

that's not what i meant. you didnt really present an argument with your opening post, though, and that is all that i had meant.

Allan 10-10-2003 06:37 PM

Quote:

As a result of the arbitrator's ruling last year when the NHL tried to eliminate that stat, they now keep a hits stat, but it is not made available to the public.

momentai 10-10-2003 06:58 PM

Last year the Oilers did not place much emphasis on actual hitting and punishing the opponent as in year's past. If the San Jose game is any indication, it certainly looks like the coaching staff has addressed that weakness from last season.

coyote 10-11-2003 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan
As a result of the arbitrator's ruling last year when the NHL tried to eliminate that stat, they now keep a hits stat, but it is not made available to the public.

If they keep the stat why isn't available to the public? I would think someone out there would know how to get it.

oilswell 10-11-2003 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan

I think its probable that many teams track this stat themselves, not that it does us any good.

Oi'll say! 10-11-2003 10:22 AM

Counting the number of time guys rub shoulders is a waste of time. When they kept the stat b4 apparently Anson Carter had a lot of them, which struck me as kind of funny because I would have sworn on a stack of "big 'uns" that he had none.

rabi_sultan 10-11-2003 10:58 AM

i think that was the argument that hits were tracked by teams and that some of the counts were dubious hence making it an unreliable statkeep

i dunno its just what i heard from last year in an NHL article i read

Cerebral 10-11-2003 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
i think that was the argument that hits were tracked by teams and that some of the counts were dubious hence making it an unreliable statkeep

If I remember correctly, a lot of people didn't believe Svehla had nearly as many hits as his stats claimed.. :)

rabi_sultan 10-11-2003 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
If I remember correctly, a lot of people didn't believe Svehla had nearly as many hits as his stats claimed.. :)

yup thats it your right svehla was overcounted for his hits and the NHL did not want to shell out money to send stat collectors to collect all the stats so these stats are now kept on a team by team basis and no longer part of the NHL stats, so in order to get a hold of these hits we may have to ask the Oilers organisation for the stats

quat 10-11-2003 01:09 PM

If the Oil play a grittier hitting game, I think it will help relieve pressure on their D, which will be positively reflected in the win column. JC is a great player to have on your team. Any guy with that much speed who likes to hit, and can read the ice fairly well is going to have a good impact.

I've heard a little of Torres and am interested to see what kind of hockey he has. Sounds like a tough grinder with skill?

coyote 10-11-2003 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabi_sultan

Your right and I never thought of it that way. I just thought that it might tell us who was the most aggressive player game in game out. But I guess it could be questionable what constitutes hit and what doesn't. Different strokes for different folks.