HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What can we do to straighten out our problems? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=188665)

barrytrotzsneck 11-06-2005 07:55 PM

What can we do to straighten out our problems?

We're all pretty much in agreement about what the problem is...but how to address it? It doesn't seem to be a matter of correcting one thing or trying a little harder with another...so...a trade?

For starters...

to DAL: Marek Zidlicky, Timofei Shishkanov
to NAS: Jason Arnott

This would give us one more big forward and address the second line center problem at the same time. Shea Weber could then be called up. While the idea of having yet another young d-man is somewhat scary, it can't be worse than what we're currently dealing with...at least he has the size and strength to break up the endless cycling.

Then....if need be...

to NAS: Rhett Warrener
to CAL: Martin Erat, 3rd

Calgary gets a little scoring punch, we clear up a spot so everyone is playing in their natural position, meanwhile getting another tough d-man on the back end.

Any other ideas?

handtrick 11-06-2005 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
We're all pretty much in agreement about what the problem is...but how to address it? It doesn't seem to be a matter of correcting one thing or trying a little harder with another...so...a trade?

For starters...

to DAL: Marek Zidlicky, Timofei Shishkanov
to NAS: Jason Arnott

This would give us one more big forward and address the second line center problem at the same time. Shea Weber could then be called up. While the idea of having yet another young d-man is somewhat scary, it can't be worse than what we're currently dealing with...at least he has the size and strength to break up the endless cycling.

Then....if need be...

to NAS: Rhett Warrener
to CAL: Martin Erat, 3rd

Calgary gets a little scoring punch, we clear up a spot so everyone is playing in their natural position, meanwhile getting another tough d-man on the back end.

Any other ideas?

I am down with that whole scenario, but I don't see Poile/Leipold trading Zids 1.14M salary for Arnott's 2.926M salary and putting us over the $28 M. I think the value is close with Nash getting a better deal even with Shish thrown in. Does Dallas have a potential 2nd line center in the wings that this move would make room for?

Try Weber and if he is too green....Warrener would fit nicely. It would again be a salary increase from 875K to 1.9M Does Calgary really need Erat on the LW with Amonte, Nilson and Simon?

Overall great ideas, I certainly don't have any better....just throwing some stuff out there....

barrytrotzsneck 11-06-2005 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
I am down with that whole scenario, but I don't see Poile/Leipold trading Zids 1.14M salary for Arnott's 2.926M salary and putting us over the $28 M. I think the value is close with Nash getting a better deal even with Shish thrown in. Does Dallas have a potential 2nd line center in the wings that this move would make room for?

Try Weber and if he is too green....Warrener would fit nicely. It would again be a salary increase from 875K to 1.9M Does Calgary really need Erat on the LW with Amonte, Nilson and Simon?

Overall great ideas, I certainly don't have any better....just throwing some stuff out there....

Well, Nilson is more of a third liner, and Simon is looking like his offense last year was something of an anomaly. Erat would fit pretty well, I think. The salary is something to consider...

handtrick 11-06-2005 08:52 PM

With that salary issue in mind, what about:

To CAL:
D. Markov 2.356M
M. Erat 875k

To NAS:
R Warrener 1.9M
S. Reinprecht 1.444M

Throw in a 3rd or 4th from Nashville to get it done if necessary.

barrytrotzsneck 11-06-2005 08:58 PM

Quote:

With that salary issue in mind, what about:

To CAL:
D. Markov 2.356M
M. Erat 875k

To NAS:
R Warrener 1.9M
S. Reinprecht 1.444M

Throw in a 3rd or 4th from Nashville to get it done if necessary.

I don't think we can afford to give up Markov though. He's been the only one strong enough to wrestle the puck away. I can't understand what happened to Eaton since last season. He seems so much weaker than he used to, and completely unwilling to play the body.

handtrick 11-06-2005 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
I don't think we can afford to give up Markov though. He's been the only one strong enough to wrestle the puck away. I can't understand what happened to Eaton since last season. He seems so much weaker than he used to, and completely unwilling to play the body.

You may be right, but he is the most overpaid player on the team for the value he is currently bringing. Therefore I think he should be considered in any trade we want to make if we truly, indeed, intend to stay below the $28M level.......

A salary dump of Zids at 1.14M and Erat of 875k [ 1.989M] just doesn't bring alot back for for equal money....unless of course it includes a high draft choice.

Enoch 11-06-2005 09:26 PM

The problem with Rhino is.....he is an inconsistent scorer, with speed and stickhandling. He isn't a shooter. He doesn't battle in the corners......he uses his speed to score, and considering that is our whole team....we need something else.

I like this thread, we need some power in our lines. Our third line is not working right now, and we lack a grinding element in our game......in all facets.

handtrick 11-06-2005 09:37 PM

The problem with the big, physical 1st/2nd line center that can score is that they are rare, high priced, and would take alot of assets in trade to get.......it is just hard for me to fathom a scenario that Poile could pull that off that wouldn't blow us over the $28 mill or have to trade too much undervalued [salary-wise] assets to get.........

Joe T Choker 11-06-2005 09:39 PM

well Robitaille got the game winning shootout goal in Tonight's game with the *ucks

lstcyr 11-06-2005 09:56 PM

I'd think part of the solution is to wait until 20-25 games into the season to see if the problem sorts itself out.

Enoch 11-06-2005 10:37 PM

Quote:

The problem with the big, physical 1st/2nd line center that can score is that they are rare, high priced, and would take alot of assets in trade to get.......it is just hard for me to fathom a scenario that Poile could pull that off that wouldn't blow us over the $28 mill or have to trade too much undervalued [salary-wise] assets to get.........

Agreed. I was just offering my thoughts on Rhino...He would be better than Perrault, but I'm not sure he solves our problems.

We need some grit with average skills. We need somone that will drive to the net, and will still be able to score or backcheck.

Basher 11-06-2005 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
We need some grit with average skills. We need somone that will drive to the net, and will still be able to score or backcheck.

Oh...Vladdy Orszagh.

Enoch 11-07-2005 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher
Oh...Vladdy Orszagh.

I figured good riddance this off-season......but he always worked harder than what we are seeing now......and I could defnitely see him thriving in the new NHL like other grinders are (see Ian Laperriere.)

darth5 11-07-2005 06:57 AM

IF his knee was reliable, that is...

jstreet 11-07-2005 09:59 AM

we cant send Erat away right now, he is the only one on the team scoring skill goals right now. All other goals are going off of foots, defensemen, etc. :shakehead (and by all other goals I mean, the other 2 goals that we have scored in the past couple of games that werent courtesy of Martin) :shakehead :shakehead

dulzhok 11-07-2005 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars
we cant send Erat away right now, he is the only one on the team scoring skill goals right now. All other goals are going off of foots, defensemen, etc. :shakehead (and by all other goals I mean, the other 2 goals that we have scored in the past couple of games that werent courtesy of Martin) :shakehead :shakehead

Agreed. Marty is consistently generates offensive chances. He's shooting is always improving. Unless the return is signficant (NOT FOR SOMEONE THAT WILL BE FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR), it'd be dumb to trade Erat.

What this team needs is a scoring line center. Right now we have two borderline 2nd-line centers.

To TAMPA: Legwand, Hall
To NSH: Richards

I think our defense can improve with the current guys.

jstreet 11-07-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
Agreed. Marty is consistently generates offensive chances. He's shooting is always improving. Unless the return is signficant (NOT FOR SOMEONE THAT WILL BE FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR), it'd be dumb to trade Erat.

What this team needs is a scoring line center. Right now we have two borderline 2nd-line centers.

well Tampa already has their Legwand, his name is Vincent.

triggrman 11-07-2005 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok

I'd do this in a heartbeat, but I don't think Tampa would.

I'd also like for us to upgrade, Perreault, Johnson and Nichol over Legwand, he's good for his price tag.

Enoch 11-07-2005 07:01 PM

I think we should look at Toronto's glut at center and see if we could grab one of Steen or Stajan......with Sundin, Allison, and Lindros.....and Wellwood in the minors, you would think somone could be had.

Joe T Choker 11-07-2005 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
I think we should look at Toronto's glut at center and see if we could grab one of Steen or Stajan......with Sundin, Allison, and Lindros.....and Wellwood in the minors, you would think somone could be had.

Steen or Stajan will not be let go, trust me on this one

Enoch 11-07-2005 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
Steen or Stajan will not be let go, trust me on this one

Your probably right, especially with their play. I'm not sure what we could do to convince Toronto to trade some of their few homegrown talent, but the reasons are there. They are putting Steen on the top line LW spot, for example.

I truly wonder what Poile is thinking at this stage....He is probably waiting until around the 30-40 game mark to consider a serious move.

Some Ottawa fans think Varada is on the block. I think he would be a good addition to our team, but we would have nowhere to put him unless we traded some wingers. Plus he is a bit expensive. Still, its a name that could help us.......although it is at a position that is typically a strength for us.

beautypersoni 11-07-2005 08:01 PM

What we need is for the team to put Scott Hartnell back on the first line (he's the first line grit), the return of Scott Walker (he's the second line grit), the return of Adam Hall (he's the third line grit), and some changes to the defensive pairings.

I don't like pairing off similar defensemen together. Put Dan Markov with Marek Zidlicky, so Markov can cover Zidlicky's @ss. Put Dan Hamhuis with Kimmo Timonen, so Timonen doesn't have as much pressure to score. Put Mark Eaton with Ryan Suter - the added responsibility of watching the rookie might bring Eaton back into form.

Just a couple of ideas. Maybe you'd want to keep Hamhuis and Suter together, since they've played so well; but we have to break up Timonen and Zidlicky, and Eaton and Markov. Put Eaton with Timonen. Timonen's consistent play might spark the Eaton of old to return.

Anyhoo...

Christopher "Beautiful" Carlson
Canada's #1 Nashville Predators Fan
"You can never have too many pucks."