HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What's wrong with Eric? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=18985)

Leetchie 10-11-2003 07:03 AM

What's wrong with Eric?

He looked in great shape, he played well in pre-season... why is it that last night, I don't remember him making a SINGLE good play or create a SINGLE good scoring chance or even throw a SINGLE good hit? :mad:

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to create something every single shift like he did in the mid 90's, but I certainly expect him to make a few things happen every now and then, at least a few times a period.

All the great players do it -- they make SOMETHING happen, they make a difference somehow. He needs to get his head back on and WANT to make something happen out there. :madfire:

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-11-2003 07:31 AM

He still needs linemates. Both Rucinsky and Carter were invisable last night. I liked what I saw out of Eric. He looked quick (damn quick actually) and was involved. There were times that he would give the puck to Carter and Carter just looked lost.

Give it time, it's one game. Eric just needs one lucky bounce and I think he will take off.

Av-merican 10-11-2003 10:17 AM

Didn't see the game, just highlights. But from what I can get from the Rangers fans I talked to here and outsidethegarden.com Lindros played his crash-and-bang style for about two shifts before returning to his useless perimeter style.

But quite frankly, I just don't think his linemates are all that spectacular. Carter is a good forward, and talented, but he isn't ever going to be the guy who scores the game-winner or energizes his teammates. There's a reason Lowe traded him, you know.

Rucinsky at this stage will add scoring depth to a team's third line--he's not top line material anymore and hasn't been since his Montreal days. He's not physical enough or fast enough to make the big plays.

But bottom line, this team has no energy because it's TOO OLD. No prospects on the roster means there's no youth, no spark for the veterans. Remember last year when MacInnis had a career year in St. Loo? He credited playing alongside Barrett Jackman with his resurgence.

Fedor Tjutin scored two goals when the Wolfpack was down. The Pack ended up tying, but they didn't give up and Fedor was clutch. Yet he was sent down to Hartford because Slats thinks Bouchard, Kasparaitis, and Purinton are better!? Give me a break.

Sorry. Ranted a little off-subject. :rant:

#37-#93-#27* 10-11-2003 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av-merican
Didn't see the game, just highlights. But from what I can get from the Rangers fans I talked to here and outsidethegarden.com Lindros played his crash-and-bang style for about two shifts before returning to his useless perimeter style.

But quite frankly, I just don't think his linemates are all that spectacular. Carter is a good forward, and talented, but he isn't ever going to be the guy who scores the game-winner or energizes his teammates. There's a reason Lowe traded him, you know.

Rucinsky at this stage will add scoring depth to a team's third line--he's not top line material anymore and hasn't been since his Montreal days. He's not physical enough or fast enough to make the big plays.

But bottom line, this team has no energy because it's TOO OLD. No prospects on the roster means there's no youth, no spark for the veterans. Remember last year when MacInnis had a career year in St. Loo? He credited playing alongside Barrett Jackman with his resurgence.

Fedor Tjutin scored two goals when the Wolfpack was down. The Pack ended up tying, but they didn't give up and Fedor was clutch. Yet he was sent down to Hartford because Slats thinks Bouchard, Kasparaitis, and Purinton are better!? Give me a break.

Sorry. Ranted a little off-subject. :rant:

Up until the last two preseason games, Tjutin was terrible. He was sent down within reason and it's probably for the better since he would not be getting much ice time playing here.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-11-2003 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av-merican

The reason he traded him was he couldn't afford him. It had nothing to do with Carter as a player. If you recall, people were appalled by the Carter trade. Oiler fans were upset. And really what did they get for him? Radek Dvorak and Cory Cross.

As far as not scoring game winning goals how did he do in the World Championships this year?

Brooklyn Ranger 10-11-2003 11:51 AM

The "problem" with Eric is that he is no longer the impact player he was earlier in his career. If he's expected to carry this group, then the Powers That Be will be very disappointed.

Leetchie 10-11-2003 12:43 PM

Let's not take all the blame off Eric quite yet. Sure, Rucinsky and Carter aren't exactly Selanne and Kariya, but a player of Eric's caliber (or supposed caliber) should be able to make the most out of them. They certainly have more offensive talent than Barnaby, and he made something out of him last season. Granted, Barnaby worked harder than Rosie and Dancin Anson so far, but last night's game was horrendous for that line. It's time to change something up there.

#37-#93-#27* 10-11-2003 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leetchie
Let's not take all the blame off Eric quite yet. Sure, Rucinsky and Carter aren't exactly Selanne and Kariya, but a player of Eric's caliber (or supposed caliber) should be able to make the most out of them. They certainly have more offensive talent than Barnaby, and he made something out of him last season. Granted, Barnaby worked harder than Rosie and Dancin Anson so far, but last night's game was horrendous for that line. It's time to change something up there.

He isn't that supposed caliber anymore (though he was invisible last night). Carter is also a supposed first line power forward, we haven't seen any of that since he got here.

Leetchie 10-11-2003 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
He isn't that supposed caliber anymore (though he was invisible last night). Carter is also a supposed first line power forward, we haven't seen any of that since he got here.

While I agree that he certainly isn't MVP caliber anymore, he's still expected to be this team's first line center, someone who can create chances, even if not every single shift like he used to do. I expect at least that of him.

Brooklyn Ranger 10-11-2003 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leetchie
While I agree that he certainly isn't MVP caliber anymore, he's still expected to be this team's first line center, someone who can create chances, even if not every single shift like he used to do. I expect at least that of him.

If that's the general expectation for Lindros, then he's bound to fail. He just isn't capable of carrying a team anymore. Can he still be a useful player? Probably, but the faster the Powers That Be who run the Rangers realize that he's not the Eric of old, the better the chances are he will be useful.

#37-#93-#27* 10-11-2003 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
If that's the general expectation for Lindros, then he's bound to fail. He just isn't capable of carrying a team anymore. Can he still be a useful player? Probably, but the faster the Powers That Be who run the Rangers realize that he's not the Eric of old, the better the chances are he will be useful.

I think they already have. To me Eric is now a second line player and the way they're using him now with Kovalev being the go to guy and that entire line being really the go to line, I think the team realizes he can't be in that position.

Edge 10-11-2003 05:47 PM

you know at one point during the six year run the team could score, then it scored but couldnt stop the puck, now it cant do either.

this is progress?

LeServ 10-11-2003 11:56 PM

I would play Barnaby and Lundmark with Lindros. Barnaby for spark and Lundmark for playmaking.