HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   McGahee/Heatley (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19009)

Buffaloed 10-11-2003 09:52 AM

McGahee/Heatley

(October 9, 2003) ORCHARD PARK Buffalo Bills running back and top draft pick Willis McGahee has received medical clearance from his personal surgeon to start practicing next week.

McGahee tore the same 3 knee ligaments as Heatley less than 9 months ago.

Anfernic 10-11-2003 05:07 PM

McGahee the football player who was drafted by Buffalo (his carrer was not on the line due to this injury)

dunwoody_joe 10-11-2003 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anfernic
McGahee the football player who was drafted by Buffalo (his carrer was not on the line due to this injury)

Actually, McGahee's career was more at risk than Heatley's. Mc blew out his knee before he was drafted and it was entirely likely that he might not have been drafted at all. The Bills took a big chance and now the kid can try to make a comeback. Had he been undrafted, his career could have been over.

Heatley was already under contract and has the full support of the Thrasher organization. Just in that, he is in better shape.

I wonder if there is an example of a hockey player with a similar injury to Heatley's?

DJ

Proffessor G DIDDY 10-11-2003 08:53 PM

Either way Heatley at best might be bacl around game 70 if lucky, its not as bad as first thought.

Buffaloed 10-12-2003 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anfernic

The point is they're similar injuries and this provides a frame of reference.

Impossibles 10-12-2003 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Actually, McGahee's career was more at risk than Heatley's. Mc blew out his knee before he was drafted and it was entirely likely that he might not have been drafted at all. The Bills took a big chance and now the kid can try to make a comeback. Had he been undrafted, his career could have been over.

Heatley was already under contract and has the full support of the Thrasher organization. Just in that, he is in better shape.

I wonder if there is an example of a hockey player with a similar injury to Heatley's?

DJ

There is no way he was going to go undrafted. He was supposed to be the #1 or 32 pick in the draft until he tore up his knee.

Lots of players have torn ligaments in the NHL. Luckily for Danny, speed wasn't the key to his game. Guys like Pavel bure and (I think) Selanne tore ligaments and it takes a couple years for those guys to get back to their former selves, but those were speed players.

Don't expect Heatley to come back this season.

Buffaloed 10-12-2003 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe

DJ

Jaroslav Svejkovsky and Tuomo Ruutu tore multiple ligaments.

dunwoody_joe 10-12-2003 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impossibles
There is no way he was going to go undrafted. He was supposed to be the #1 or 32 pick in the draft until he tore up his knee.

Lots of players have torn ligaments in the NHL. Luckily for Danny, speed wasn't the key to his game. Guys like Pavel bure and (I think) Selanne tore ligaments and it takes a couple years for those guys to get back to their former selves, but those were speed players.

Don't expect Heatley to come back this season.

Tore multiple ligaments?

Wingnut31 10-13-2003 07:28 AM

I know over his career Steve Yzerman has had plenty of knee problems, likely never multiple tears tho.
Here's a website that might have some medical answers.
http://www.emedx.com/emedx/diagnosis...nee_topics.htm

ATLThrashers15 10-13-2003 09:49 AM

As far as a time table for return. Jamal Mayers torn his ACL and MCL among other damge last November 15(ish). When did he start skating again? Anyone know?

Atlanta Jim 10-13-2003 12:14 PM

Time Table

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLThrashers15
As far as a time table for return. Jamal Mayers torn his ACL and MCL among other damge last November 15(ish). When did he start skating again? Anyone know?

One of the main sports sights - SI, ESPN, SPORTINGNEWS - said today that the Thrashers think Heatly will play sometime in March.

nathan 10-21-2003 04:37 PM

What sport would be worse to the knees? Football or hockey?

I would say Football (especially a running back who cuts), but not sure. I do know for sure that B-Ball is the worse for anyone's knees.

#37-#93-#27* 10-21-2003 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan
What sport would be worse to the knees? Football or hockey?

I would say Football (especially a running back who cuts), but not sure. I do know for sure that B-Ball is the worse for anyone's knees.

Football, specially for a Running back which McGahee is.

RB's need to cut and constantly make quick moves side to side, plus they need to put more pressure on their knees.

I'll try to find the video of McGahee's injury, it was one of the most gruesome injuries during a game in a while. His knee completely hyper extended to the point where his bottom leg almost made a 90 degree angle forward.

At first people speculated his career was in jeopardy. Pre injury he would've been a top 3 pick, after it he still was expected to be drafted but obviously later on now, there were rumors that 3 other teams were about to select him right after Buffalo.

One thing you have to consider is McGahee has a freakish work ethic and underdog mentality, he worked exceptionally hard and had motivation to be drafted which is part of the reason he recovered so quickly.

triggrman 10-21-2003 07:38 PM

Football is much tougher on the knees. In fact some doctors will use ice skating as part of a rehab for knee injuries (of course only if he person can skate). Ice skating (not hockey) and swimming are both good for your knees.

ATLThrashers15 10-21-2003 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Jim
One of the main sports sights - SI, ESPN, SPORTINGNEWS - said today that the Thrashers think Heatly will play sometime in March.

All that depends on how the Thrashers are doing at the time. If they are out of the playoffs. I dont think he plays. If the team is in a hunt for the playoffs which they should be, then no question, a Heatley inserted in your line up adds some punch.

nathan 10-21-2003 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I'll try to find the video of McGahee's injury, it was one of the most gruesome injuries during a game in a while. His knee completely hyper extended to the point where his bottom leg almost made a 90 degree angle forward.

I watched that game. That scene was just plain disgusting to watch. Ugh.