HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Roberto Luongo merged thread for proposals -- new threads will be deleted (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=191874)

DRL 11-14-2005 08:50 PM

Roberto Luongo merged thread for proposals -- new threads will be deleted

just wondering if the storm has calmed over in florida and if the luongo rumors can be squashed from the start of the year?

does a contract extension in january look highly plausible?

does the recent struggles open up the possibility of him being dealt some point in the season?

IceKatsRHot 11-14-2005 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL
just wondering if the storm has calmed over in florida and if the luongo rumors can be squashed from the start of the year?

does the recent struggles open up the possibility of him being dealt some point in the season?

Being that you haven't heard anything about it since the beginning of the season and now asking about it...

Chances are the storm has been calmed long ago. Now here it comes again.

Clash* 11-14-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL

As long as the Panthers are losing games, the storm will not settle down. It may not be talked about, but Luongo has made it clearly evident he wants to play for a winner and wants to be paid like the netminder of a winner. He realzes that a lot of the things he is faulted for, like the lack of playoff performances, is a result of the team and not his abilities.

Happy Girl 11-14-2005 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL

IMO - It's been a rough stretch for us lately and Louie's been frustrated, as has the entire team. What's going on in his head - I don't know. I think Keenan will make a considerable effort to re-sign him - however if we continue on a losing trend and he thinks Luongo will bolt - I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade. But right now, I think it's a bit early to get your hopes up that Luongo will be traded any time soon.

PantherBlood6* 11-14-2005 09:27 PM

Luongo is not a UFA after this season -- so the chances of him being dealt midseason are slim-to-none. There's no reason to move him midseason when the market (if he does indeed want out) would be much, much bigger during the offseason with certain teams able to clear up some cap room.

The only way Luongo is traded this year is if some team makes some ridiculous, and I mean ridiculous, offer Keenan just can not refuse. All this of course is under the assumption that he DOES want out, which isn't even close to being a sure thing. He has said he wants to play for a winner...but there's still 66 games left this season to see what this team is made out of.

LawnDemon 11-15-2005 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKF37
...but there's still 66 games left this season to see what this team is made out of.

Old people?

DRL 11-15-2005 11:53 AM

i wonder if keenan would even consider a luongo for hejduk and aebischer at the moment, both are struggling but combined make as much as luongo himself wants :dunno:

Bubba Thudd 11-15-2005 12:00 PM

I'd give up Aebi, picks, and some salary dump for Luongo. But not Hejduk. He'll come around, once he gets the knee brace off.

Safir* 11-15-2005 12:08 PM

I would be prepared to give up at least Havlat for Luongo. If that's not enough for the Panthers, I'm willing to add picks and perhaps a role player/ prospect.

Coolburn 11-15-2005 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL

The storm is somewhat calm now but not sure if the rumors could be totally squashed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL

I'd say no...even if things start to turn around for Florida. I seriously think that as Clash pointed out, he wants to play for a winner and will wait until the season is completed to discuss any contracts. The ball is completely in Luongo's court as far as what is going to happen with his contract. He has the option to file for arbitration himself in the offseason and then become an UFA. If he signs a long term deal with Florida, it will obviously be on his terms now.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL

Unless he demands the trade, I don't think so. It would take an insane offer that no GM would give in a capped world. As TKF pointed out, it would be better for Florida (if they do consider it a possibility) to move him in the offseason where they could potentially get more. Plus, his potential new team could negotiate a long term deal (see Ottawa and Heatley).

Darth Milbury 11-15-2005 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL
i wonder if keenan would even consider a luongo for hejduk and aebischer at the moment, both are struggling but combined make as much as luongo himself wants :dunno:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Luongo is currently making 3.2 million, and is a franchise player. Hejduk and Aebischer combined make a lot more, and are not going to come close to Luongo's on-ice impact.

DRL 11-17-2005 11:22 AM

SPECTOR'S MAILBAG.

Marc Caron sends in the following: "Yesterday night at 110% show, Michel Bergeron told he had a long discussion with marvellous Mike Keenan......And Keenan told Bergeron that if is team dont get better fast he will have to put Luongo on the market to shake up is roster... And the way the contract negociation have been this fall it look that time is running out for Roberto in Florida....Gilles Lupien Luongo's agent told the press that is no way he could ressign with florida, when Ruberto will be unristricted free agent.....another guy on the pannel sugested that Pierre Lacroix will jump on Luongo if he is availlable !!!"

J17 Vs Proclamation 11-17-2005 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kärppä32
I would be prepared to give up at least Havlat for Luongo. If that's not enough for the Panthers, I'm willing to add picks and perhaps a role player/ prospect.

Havlat and 1st http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/grin.gif. If Luongo is dealt the panthers will need a new goaltender as we have no prospects near ready to fill the position.

Quote:

I'd give up Aebi, picks, and some salary dump for Luongo. But not Hejduk. He'll come around, once he gets the knee brace off.
Think Aebi, 1st round, Hedjuk for Luongo. Luongo is a franchise goaltender and some team is gonna seriously have to overpay to get him.
I just hope Luongo wants to stay, but the panthers really have no control over that imo.

Irish Blues 11-17-2005 11:47 AM

If Keenan is doing the dealing, the Avs won't have to give up nearly that much. Think more along the lines of (at most) Brunette, either Budaj or Aebischer and a mid-round (3rd or 4th) draft pick. Keenan likes his players big, anyone 6'1" and 200 lbs. (regardless of skill level) could be dealt from Colorado and taken by Keenan, and I can see the Avs moving a goalie to avoid a glut. If they don't, then the pick will likely go back instead.

RoyIsALegend* 11-17-2005 12:02 PM

David Aebischer, Ossi Vaananen, Wojtek Wolski, 1st round pick.

I'd give that package up for Roberto Luongo.

Coolburn 11-17-2005 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
David Aebischer, Ossi Vaananen, Wojtek Wolski, 1st round pick.

I'd give that package up for Roberto Luongo.

And probably the best that Florida would get if the rumors are true (without adding anything else on Florida's side of the deal).

Darth Milbury 11-17-2005 12:50 PM

I still don't buy the rumors. Luongo is signed to a reasonable contract for the year. It would be senseless to trade him now.

Rattrick 11-17-2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I still don't buy the rumors. Luongo is signed to a reasonable contract for the year. It would be senseless to trade him now.

I agree and each Aebischer or Cloutier proposal makes it all more sickening. :cry:

RoyIsALegend* 11-17-2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

The thread starter, DRL, never said that he expected nor wanted Roberto Luongo to get traded now.

He asked whether it was fathomable at some point in the season.

Given Luongo's strong quotes that he wants to play for a winner, I would not rule the possibility out.

Melrose'sMullet 11-17-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
The thread starter, DRL, never said that he expected nor wanted Roberto Luongo to get traded now.

He asked whether it was fathomable at some point in the season.

Given Luongo's strong quotes that he wants to play for a winner, I would not rule the possibility out.

And the fact Keenan won't pay arguably the best netminder in the league...

IMO we could probably give up Wolski, a 1st and Aebischer and get Luongo. I don't see Vannanen going unless defense is coming back. All Florida has to pay is Aebischer at this point. So they dump salary AND get a very good prospect as well as a first.

The Avs would have plenty under this years cap to get him in and with Sakic and Blake being UFA's they would have the offseason money to sign him longterm. Forget Ottawa...why would they make a move for Luongo when they have Hasek?? I know he is old as hell, but he is there right now and I don't see Roberto going for that.

He comes to the AVs he is the starter from day one and makes the Avs a serious SC contender.

B.D. Gallof 11-17-2005 01:22 PM

Luongo has put pressure on Florida brass announcing intentions and refusing longterm deals with them over the summer. If Florida continues to flounder...which should have been obvious that they had work and improvements to make and would likely not make the playoffs...yet signed a bunch of injury-riddled vets with the Keenan-Vet-Provider™ service, with very mixed results. They are walking into another summer, another contensious arbitration hearing, with a continued refusal to sign any longterm deal, who simply wants to play for a committed winner and without Keenan. They would be avoiding this is they made a spectacular run and winning team, but that can only happen over time they do not have to convince their star, and one of the top goaltenders in the game.

I think, as I said over the summer, that he will be dealt...however, it is a question of when and avoiding bad publicity and really when Florida brass realizes the writing on the wall. The writing: Build a winner or else, clocks ticking.

Darth Milbury 11-17-2005 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose'sMullet
And the fact Keenan won't pay arguably the best netminder in the league...

IMO we could probably give up Wolski, a 1st and Aebischer and get Luongo. I don't see Vannanen going unless defense is coming back. All Florida has to pay is Aebischer at this point. So they dump salary AND get a very good prospect as well as a first.

The Avs would have plenty under this years cap to get him in and with Sakic and Blake being UFA's they would have the offseason money to sign him longterm. Forget Ottawa...why would they make a move for Luongo when they have Hasek?? I know he is old as hell, but he is there right now and I don't see Roberto going for that.

He comes to the AVs he is the starter from day one and makes the Avs a serious SC contender.

The package you've described isn't going to get Luongo's left skate.

I'm not saying that Luongo DEFINITELY won't be moved, but I still maintain that it is unlikely. Luongo is under contract for a very reasonable rate, and is keeping the Cats competitive. They're going to have to get a deal that really excites them to move him now, and this doesn't qualify.

Honestly, I don't see the AVs as being well-positioned at all to get Luongo. FLA's going to want a stud prospect or two, and Col simply doens't have that to offer.

Mizral 11-17-2005 01:49 PM

Waiting on pins and needles for the Luongo trade.

Call it a hunch. A guestimation. But I think we're going to see Luongo traded before Christmas, or at the very least before the All-star break. I thought I would go through the teams to see which teams might trade for him, and which teams wouldn't:

Anaheim: With JS Giguere? Not likely.
Atlanta: A South-east rival with Florida, again not likely.
Boston: Raycroft has been fine, I don't see why Boston would be considered. I'll mark them down as 'Low probability'.
Buffalo: They already have three goaltenders. This is a team Florida might consider a potential rival too, so: 'Low probability'.
Calgary: They have Kipper. No need.
Carolina: South-east Rival.
Chicago: Signed Khabibulin, so nope.
Colorado: Lacroix has a history of grabbing high-end keepers when they are available. Aebischer has never been bad, but he has never instilled the same confidence Roy did either. Aebischer would almost certainly go the other way here again. I'm unsure of the Avs cap status, but this seems like a good fit for Luongo. 'High probobility'
Columbus: Possible, but with their new centreman, they may have cap concerns. 'Low probability'.
Dallas: They have Turco.
Detroit: No more CuJo & Hasek around their necks. Why not? One of Legace or Osgood could go the other way. Detroit would have to move some salary away too, but this would not be impossible. 'High probobility'.
Edmonton: Salary room is there, but Edmonton management might be unwilling to spend. Would cost perhaps too many good players for Edmontons' blood. 'Low probobility'
Florida: Uhh... no comment.
Los Angeles: The team is playing great, but who knows when that could stop. Still, goaltending hasn't been their problem, and they may not be willing to trade what is necessary.
Minnesota: Certainly do not have the guns to trade, but at the same time don't really need to. Goaltending the least of their woes.
Montreal: With Theodore, not very likely at all. Despite his sometimes sketchy play.
Nashville: Vokoun has been good, but this is a team I could see making a move for Luongo. Lots of tradeable assets here. Still, not a big 'need' though, so: 'Low Probability'
New Jersey: The last problem on this team is their goaltending.
NY Rangers: Luongo in Manhatten? Somehow this makes sense to me, but I doubt it would for the Rangers brass. Also a question of what they have to trade for Luongo. 'Low probability'
NY Isles: Rickey DiPietro has been nothing short of a godsend for Milbury's isles. No need at all.
Ottawa: Before Hasek, this would have been a high probability. But with Hasek? I really don't think so. it would take a major injury to Hasek for them to dip into this one I think.
Philidelphia: Goaltending hasn't been inspiring. East but not a rival to Florida. Philly defines 'high probability' to move for Luongo. The only problem here is cap room, but this can be rectified by moving salary back to Florida.
Phoenix: CuJo has been great for Phoenix. They really don't need Roberto, I also doubt they could afford him too.
Pittsburgh: They have their guy for the future in Fleury. The honeymoon is over for the Pens fleeting off-season playoff hopes. Luongo would not fit here at all.
St.Louis: This club has a lot of problems. Doubtful they make any trades at all with the ownership situation, nevermind take a guy with a big salary.
Tampa Bay: Divisional & state rival. No chance in hell!
Toronto: I'm sure some Leaf fans think it's possible, but I don't. Luongo really doesn't fill a need for Toronto, and I'm quite sure JFJ is commited to Belfour being 'The Man'. This is a club that might make a pitch for Luongo in the future if he's a UFA, but not now.
Vancouver: Like Philly & Colorado, this is a club that makes a lot of sense to be in the Luongo hunt. A team very close to the cap, though, it would be a must that Florida take back Dan Cloutier in any deal, or at least that they move him immediatly. 'High Probability'
Washington: South-East & rebuilding. Nope.

My overall list has the following:

'Low Probability': Boston, Buffalo, Columbus, Edmonton, Nashville, NY Rangers.
'High Probability': Colorado, Detroit, Philidelphia, Vancouver

Any disagreements/agreements?

Not looking for proposals here. Maybe that will be one for later threads. We can figure out proposals for the 'High Probability' teams or something.
:dunno:

19nazzy 11-17-2005 01:51 PM

Why would Detroit be a high probability?
Legace has been amazing.

I agree with the rest

neelynugs 11-17-2005 01:52 PM

i'd change boston to "NO"...don't see any reason for luongo with raycroft and toivonen waiting in the wings.