HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Korovkin & Niitttymaki? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19330)

Kyonn 10-12-2003 01:58 PM

Korovkin & Niitttymaki?

Does anyone know where Korovkin is playing? He was recently released by Kamloops, they had two many euros plus he is over age. Has he been picked up by any other WHL team. Being 20 he's eligible for the AHL so he might be reporting there soon. On another front, what's up with Niittymaki, is he hurt. Little has started 3 games in 3 days.

John Flyers Fan 10-12-2003 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyonn
Does anyone know where Korovkin is playing? He was recently released by Kamloops, they had two many euros plus he is over age. Has he been picked up by any other WHL team. Being 20 he's eligible for the AHL so he might be reporting there soon. On another front, what's up with Niittymaki, is he hurt. Little has started 3 games in 3 days.

Not sure about Korovkin, but Niittymaki is hurt, recovering from a minor knee injury. He should be ready to play by next weekend.

BrindA17 10-13-2003 03:26 AM

What are the odds of Nittymaki ever playing for the flyers?

John Flyers Fan 10-13-2003 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindA17
What are the odds of Nittymaki ever playing for the flyers?

I think you'll have your answer by the end of this season. He needs to make progress with the Phantoms and be better than he was last year. If that happens, then he's a good bet to wear the orange & black some day. If his play doesn't get any better than last year, then his chances would be close to nil.

VaFlyer 10-13-2003 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I think you'll have your answer by the end of this season. He needs to make progress with the Phantoms and be better than he was last year. If that happens, then he's a good bet to wear the orange & black some day. If his play doesn't get any better than last year, then his chances would be close to nil.

I agree, but I think Esche and Hackett also play a role in this. If Esche does not have a good year and Nitty is very good in the AHL, then I think it is very possible Nitty will push him for the job at next camp. If Hackett and Esche really do make a good tandem this year, I would expect Nitty to be the backup to Esche, not next year but the year after. Esche though has to really grab the starting role from Hackett next year. If he does not, I would expect Clarke to either draft a Marc-Andre Fleury ranked goalie or sign a FA, although it will probably be stop gap measure.

Flyman 10-13-2003 07:26 AM

If only Clarkie would have signed Joseph instead of Beezer back in 1997..... :rolleyes: :rant:

The Seeker 25 10-18-2003 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Well, Nitty looked pretty good last nite in his season debut....

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/7043311.htm

Let's hope it's a sign of things to come, not only for the Phantoms, but with the Flyers, also.

IronMarshal 10-18-2003 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyman
If only Clarkie would have signed Joseph instead of Beezer back in 1997..... :rolleyes: :rant:

I used to think that way too, but the reality is "What has Cujo done since then? Or ever for that matter?"

Like many, he is a very good goalie WHEN he is on his game. But he doesn't seem to get the job done whenit counts most. I'd bet the Flyers would have been better with hi, but not champs. He is neither Marty Broduer nor Patrick Roy.

GKJ 10-18-2003 08:51 AM

With Cujo, Toronto had been to two conference finals (beating the Flyers en route in 1999). Had the Flyers played Carolina in 2002 with Cujo, the Flyers surely would have beaten them. In 1999, Cujo was awsome in games 5 and 6 vs. the Flyers, who knows if the Flyers could have turned it the other way. They would have had Pittsburgh (without Lemieux) in the 2nd round, Buffalo (who some people may have forgotten, Hasek did not play the whole series. Dwayne Roloson played one or two games in Toronto en route to a 5 game loss. In 1999, having Cujo may have been the ex-factor for the Flyers in winning in 1999 or possibly 2000.

Flyman 10-19-2003 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMarshal
Like many, he is a very good goalie WHEN he is on his game. But he doesn't seem to get the job done whenit counts most. I'd bet the Flyers would have been better with hi, but not champs. He is neither Marty Broduer nor Patrick Roy.

I agree, it is always though to predict what a goalie could have done with another team in a given period. But Joseph plyed well in Toronto, he has good stats and like GKJ said, he reached the ECF two times. So I think he would have been good for us.
I was disappointed this summer when Clarkie signed Hack Up instead of going after Cujo. Of course, there is the CBA talks so you cannot do what you want but Clarkie chose another time to go to the cheap option instead of securing definitly the goalie spot... :rolleyes: