HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Now THAT, folks, was a performance! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19384)

Prussian_Blue 10-12-2003 06:57 PM

Now THAT, folks, was a performance!

Osgood was sharp as a tack. 39 shots against tonight, 21 shots against vs. Phoenix, three goals total allowed in 122:30.

That's a 95.0% save percentage and a 1.47 GAA, folks...

Tkachuk was outstanding as an individual, and the line of Tkachuk-Demitra-Rycroft was outstanding as a unit.

Sejna was more involved, Weight played well, Cajanek played well.

Pronger looks to be returning to his old dominating self.

I think tonight's zebras were a little hard on Macinnis. It's amazing how little respect the NHL's embodiment of class gets. The ticky-tack penalties called on him would never be called on any of the zebras' "favorites," and we all know who I'm talking about... cough... Forsberg ... cough

Speaking of ol' Floppa, there's a career on the Swedish Olympic Diving Team waiting for that ham when he hangs up the ol' blades. For a guy that's 6-02 and 210 pounds, he sure goes down awfully easy whenever anyone lays a stick on him, or a hit, or even so much as sneezes in his general direction...

Let's try to keep the conversations going over here, instead of at The Nut House. I've made a public appeal over there for people to drop by and see what we have to offer here, so let's give any visitors something to write home about.

PB

topshelf331 10-12-2003 07:07 PM

No kidding for a guy who is so strong on his skates around the net, little love taps sure do send him flying.

degroat* 10-12-2003 07:12 PM

That call on MacInnis for pulling down Forsberg was the biggest load of crap I've ever seen. Forsberg grabbed MacInnis' arm and held on to it and as Mac tried to get away his pansy ass fell down. There needs to be something installed in the NHL that would allow teams to submit cheap stuff like that to the league for review that would result in a fine and for multiple offenders, a suspension. It is things like that that really turn people away from this game (people like my dad that won't watch because of that stuff) and it needs to stop. It's unfortunate that a player as talented as him has to use those sort of antics to win a hockey game.

golfmade 10-12-2003 07:17 PM

I really enjoyed watching the game. Big hits, crisp passes by both teams, and all around solid goaltending for both sides. I thought some of the calls on both sides were questionable. Pronger looked solid although a big brain fart when he nailed Kariya from behind. Agreed about Forsberg, more then a few times tonight he went down a little too easily. All in all, good win for St. Louis, especially playing in Denver.

execwrite 10-12-2003 07:21 PM

That game was way too good to worry about the referees. Great effort by the Blues.

Osgood and Walt were the stars, but the key was that every man on the ice contributed. The energy line of Danton-Johnson-Low ate up some ice time and threw some heavy checks. Danton laid out Dan Hinote at center ice.

Liked a lot of what Sejna did also. He's a complete player, not just a scorer. He'll get his goals this season if he stays on the line with Weight.

Pronger, Jackman, MacInnis and Baron are a great core of d-men. Tonite Finley and Backman did a good job playing as the third d-pair.

Chris Pronger is an amazing athlete. His long reach broke up a cross-ice pass and he was solid as a rock. His cross-check into Kariya's back after his goal was a great message. That's big time playoff hockey. This is a contact sport.

Laperriere22* 10-12-2003 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by execwrite
His cross-check into Kariya's back after his goal was a great message.

I don't agree at all. When Pronger did that, I figured the Blues were just going to give up on the game and follow suit with more similar stupid penalties. If he needed to send a message, that wasn't the way or the time to do it.

Plager05 10-12-2003 07:53 PM

The Blues looked like a team that wins big games tonight, even though they got outshot they weren't really dominated, scoring chances were about even. In short the Blues capitalized on their big 5-3 and dictated the play in the 3rd where they created a ton of turnovers one of which lead to the gamewinner.

Walt is gonna get 50 if he plays 80 games.

Laperriere22* 10-12-2003 08:00 PM

While on topic, I love Mayers' speed, but he can't finish to save his own life. He looks great with Weight right up until he has to make a final pass or take a shot.

Nick Blue 10-12-2003 08:59 PM

I thought Osgood played the best game by a Blues goalie in a long long time. Despite the great performance by the goalie, the Blues took way too many penalites and gave up way too many shots.

Up front, it will be nice to see some of the vets back in the lineup because the Blues could use some more skill up front. I thought that the Blues played stong along the boards and outworked the Avs to a lot of loose puts. I have not been impressed with the decision making of Heerema and Niclaus. Sejna- while not getting shots off is stong on the puck and is using his head out there. In addition, despite the nice feed to Tkachuk and 2 pts in two games, I dont think Pavol has been giving a 60 minute effort.

topshelf331 10-12-2003 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laperriere22
While on topic, I love Mayers' speed, but he can't finish to save his own life. He looks great with Weight right up until he has to make a final pass or take a shot.

I agree , boguniecki or hereema is bound to take his spot.

topshelf331 10-12-2003 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Blue
In addition, despite the nice feed to Tkachuk and 2 pts in two games, I dont think Pavol has been giving a 60 minute effort.

I disagree, he was often the first man back on his line.

c-carp 10-12-2003 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super_Joe
Osgood played awesome tonight , he won the game for the Blues . The next time these 2 teams play is December 26th , after the cheap shot Pronger did on Kariya ; There's no other day the Avs would love a rematch .

December 26th - Boxing Day

Looking forward to it, the game in in STL and I will be there. :handclap: After you watched the tape of the game did you think Prongs deserved more than 2 min?

Felix 10-12-2003 11:14 PM

Definitely a great win! GO BLUES!!!

c-carp 10-13-2003 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plager05
The Blues looked like a team that wins big games tonight, even though they got outshot they weren't really dominated, scoring chances were about even. In short the Blues capitalized on their big 5-3 and dictated the play in the 3rd where they created a ton of turnovers one of which lead to the gamewinner.

Walt is gonna get 50 if he plays 80 games.

Walt will have a shot at the Richard trophy if he stays healthy :handclap:

Blueski 10-13-2003 03:23 AM

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the game. I too think that the Blues played a great game last night. Gave up a lot of shots, but some of those came from bad angles and from the blue line where Osgood could see those all the way.

Liked to see the nastiness from Pronger again :D Didn't like the cross check to Kariya after the goal had been scored. Thought that was pretty dumb and I really thought it was going to wake the Avs up even more and give them the momentum they needed to take over the game.

Osgood again was outstanding!!! Can't say enough about his play last night. Was agressive when he needed to be...didn't overhandle the puck...just made the stop and got it to a skater to get out of the zone. Would like to see this effort from all the Blues all year, especially in big games (i.e. Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, Vancouver).

I did notice one thing though, and I saw it in the Phoenix game as well. The puck seems to slip off our players stick an awful lot. Do you think that is a problem with the ice or what? I have not played hockey myself, so I don't know what kinds of things contribute to that.

degroat* 10-13-2003 03:38 AM

Quote:

I think that shot and that final pass is exactly the reason why that line isn't producing. Coach Q needs to face the reality that Mayers isn't an offensive player and put Heerema with Weight and Sejna.

execwrite 10-13-2003 03:58 AM

Quote:

I don't agree at all. When Pronger did that, I figured the Blues were just going to give up on the game and follow suit with more similar stupid penalties. If he needed to send a message, that wasn't the way or the time to do it.

It's not pretty but it's Gordie Howe style hockey. The message sent was don't come dancing through the middle of my ice. Guys are going to stay away from the Blues net when Pronger and Jackman are there all season long.

MotownMadman 10-13-2003 05:40 AM

Just wanted to say nice win against a very formidable offense. I'm also glad to see Ozzie do well. He didn't get the respect he deserved here in Detroit, and while he isn't in the same league as Roy, he definitely doesn't get the respect he deserves around the league.

Nick Blue 10-13-2003 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topshelf331
I disagree, he was often the first man back on his line.

No way topshelf, Pavol needs to step it up. Did you notice that Granato was throwing the Forsberg line out as much as possible against Pavol? That is a direct challenge to Demitra. How about that time when Hedjuk had the puck and he was making Pavol look stupid out there?

Nick Blue 10-13-2003 06:21 AM

Quote:

Pronger was pissed that Jackman got crosschecked in the back which led to the goal. He thought Kariya did it. Hell, I thought Kariya did it until I saw the replay. Kariya didnt do squat the rest of the game.

And how about that Jackman? After last year's number on Bertuzzi in the playoffs, he picks right up where he left off is in Forsberg's face all night long. He is rapidly becoming my favorite player to watch.

Nick Blue 10-13-2003 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by degroat
I think that shot and that final pass is exactly the reason why that line isn't producing. Coach Q needs to face the reality that Mayers isn't an offensive player and put Heerema with Weight and Sejna.

I agree. However with the type of opponent that the Blues played last night, the Weight line was basically a checking line that had some pop on the counter attack. They did a nice job on Sakic. Having Mayers speed and grinding ability on that line definitely helped. Hopefully Q is just waiting until Bogie or Drake gets back to throw them on the 2nd line.

Blueski 10-13-2003 07:05 AM

BTW....Quick comment on Danton.

I liked the energy that he and Johnson showed out there, Low would show energy if he could skate well enough to keep up with the play.

I just didn't know how strong he was!!! Did you see him knock "Floppy" Forsberg down with one hand?! :joker: Anyone who doesn't think Forsberg dives more often than Greg Luganis is kidding themselves!!!

(Bet you didn't think you would see Greg Luganis in a hockey thread did ya!) :D

Irish Blues 10-13-2003 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueski
(Bet you didn't think you would see Greg Luganis in a hockey thread did ya!) :D

No....I was expecting to see Greg Louganis instead. :lol:

Qubax 10-13-2003 07:40 AM

So Sejna looks pretty good despite his lack of production thus far..?

degroat* 10-13-2003 08:18 AM

Yes, he has looked good. His production has been hurt by the fact that every time Mayers gets the puck he screws up. Hopefully they get a more talented RW on that line soon.