HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   OT: Phils trade Thome to ChiSox for Rowand (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=193961)

letsgoflyers75 11-23-2005 03:43 PM

OT: Phils trade Thome to ChiSox for Rowand

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/13244080.htm

Quote:

The Phillies confirmed today that they have agreed on a deal with the White Sox that would send the slugging first baseman back to his home state of Illinois. The Phillies would receive centerfielder Aaron Rowand and two prospects from the White Sox, who have agreed to pay slightly more than half the remaining $46 million on Thome's contract.
Awesome trade... frees up some salary for Wagner and fills our need in the outfield. :yo:

Yertle The Turtle 11-23-2005 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgoflyers75
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/13244080.htm

Awesome trade... frees up some salary for Wagner and fills our need in the outfield. :yo:

Wow we got rid of him? :handclap: I am impressed

Nikkowar 11-23-2005 04:33 PM

Good deal I say

GKJ 11-23-2005 04:46 PM

wholey ****!!!!

I guess Konerko isn't coming back.

This is an awsome trade. I like the White Sox and Rowand is a great, young player, I can't believe the ChiSox traded him for Thome.

I really think Jim Thome back in the AL is going to be Jim Thome again (not that he wasn't before he was hurt)

Nikkowar 11-23-2005 04:47 PM

I was kinda against the trading of Thome,but I guess it's for best interest for both sides. Thome goes home,and we get a centerfielder.

Gags1288 11-23-2005 04:50 PM

Their were also two pitching prospects, one of which was the Sox top minor league prospect, Gio Gonzalez. He looks like he could be real good, he's a lefty with a nasty curve ball and 92 mph fast ball. The other prospect was a top pitching prospect as well, ranked somewhere between 2 and 4 among Sox pitching prospects.

John Flyers Fan 11-23-2005 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
wholey ****!!!!

I guess Konerko isn't coming back.

This is an awsome trade. I like the White Sox and Rowand is a great, young player, I can't believe the ChiSox traded him for Thome.

I really think Jim Thome back in the AL is going to be Jim Thome again (not that he wasn't before he was hurt)

The Sox are still trying to sign Konerko. Thome & Konerko could split 1st base and DH, and they can let Frank Thomas go.

GKJ 11-23-2005 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The Sox are still trying to sign Konerko. Thome & Konerko could split 1st base and DH, and they can let Frank Thomas go.

they already let big Frank go. I hope he retires if he doesn't go back to Chicago. It would be like Steve Yzerman, John Stockton or Brett Favre playing for someone else, I simply can't see it.

ParisSaintGermain 11-23-2005 05:09 PM

Interesting trade for the Phillies. Rowand beautifully fills a gap in centre field, and to trade Thome early may enable them to make a bigger offer to Wagner or to be more active in pursuing free agents if they want to.

CarlRacki 11-23-2005 06:22 PM

FWIW, the Phils are picking up a LARGE chunk of Thome's salary, something like $22 million of $46 million he's owed over the next three seasons.

As for Konerko and the Sox, they want him back and still plan to make him a substantial offer. The Sox acquired Thome primarily as a DH after releasing both Frank Thomas and Carl Everett. If Konerko signs elsewhere, look for the White Sox to make a run at Todd Helton, Lyle Overbay or Mike Sweetney.

As a Sox fan I can say you guys will love the way Rowand plays. Nobody plays harder and he's a great centerfielder. That said, his production was down quite a bit last year and the Sox have great OF prospects in their system, making him expendable. The real steal for the Phils in this deal might be LHP Gio Gonzalez.

L-train* 11-23-2005 06:23 PM

****ing steal!

DeleteThisAccount 11-23-2005 06:33 PM

Huge trade! The Wade era is over. :handclap:

I doubt they'll manage to keep Wagner though. He really doesn't like it here.

bobbyboucher24 11-23-2005 07:35 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they flip Rowand to another team, especially the Yanks

Bruinaholic 11-23-2005 10:03 PM

eating 22$ over 3 years for those of you who flunked Math is a touch over 7$ so even though that is a ton of money u can look at it as paying Howard 7.5$ per the next couple years?

Too bad Philly couldnt have said well pay 15$ over that time(5$ per) and takin on Rowand and a player makin 2 much for what he brings...just sucks to pay 1/2 of a huge salary just to get rid of a guy....gettin Rowand is big,feel like flippin him to Boston? :snide:

Nikkowar 11-23-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruinaholic
eating 22$ over 3 years for those of you who flunked Math is a touch over 7$ so even though that is a ton of money u can look at it as paying Howard 7.5$ per the next couple years?

Too bad Philly couldnt have said well pay 15$ over that time(5$ per) and takin on Rowand and a player makin 2 much for what he brings...just sucks to pay 1/2 of a huge salary just to get rid of a guy....gettin Rowand is big,feel like flippin him to Boston? :snide:

hmm,maybe. How about giving us Bronson Arroyo :D

kidding here,guys

GKJ 11-23-2005 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battousai
Huge trade! The Wade era is over. :handclap:

I doubt they'll manage to keep Wagner though. He really doesn't like it here.

then he really won't like New York.

jb** 11-24-2005 10:37 AM

excellent move plus 2 lefty prospects.

I hope we don't resign Wagner, this team is not a playoff team. Wagner would be overkill especially at 10mm per year. If they do sign him I hope they are not strapped and don't sign anyone else because the bullpen is a mess and they need to sign at least 2 quality relievers probably 3. Wonder if there is any chance we pay half of Lieberthal's salary and get him out?.

There is also talk of trading Michaels witht he Yankes interested as per the NY post.

phlacheesesteak 11-24-2005 10:57 AM

I like this trade a lot, soo philly has to pay off Thomes contract..22 M or 24 M?? Ive heard both #s. Anyway, Im happy with what pihlly got in return...the Phils didnt sign that murderer Urbina again did they? :)

Nikkowar 11-24-2005 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=NWO]excellent move plus 2 lefty prospects.

I hope we don't resign Wagner, this team is not a playoff team. Wagner would be overkill especially at 10mm per year. If they do sign him I hope they are not strapped and don't sign anyone else because the bullpen is a mess and they need to sign at least 2 quality relievers probably 3. Wonder if there is any chance we pay half of Lieberthal's salary and get him out?.

There is also talk of trading Michaels witht he Yankes interested as per the NY post.[/QUOTE]

:eek: :cry: don't.

GoneFullHextall 11-25-2005 02:42 PM

the Phills FLEECED the Whitesox. even with the Phills sending cash to Chicago.