HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Solid Goaltending Key to Success (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19475)

Game 8 10-13-2003 06:31 AM

Solid Goaltending Key to Success

After watching two games something comes to mind which has been an overriding theme through the past few seasons. Points have been brought up regarding, talent level, leadership, powerplay, defensive speed, etc. But for my money the number one improvement the Oilers can make this year without ripping the team apart is good goaltending. A goalie who can steal a game, or make an amazing save when the team needs it would go a long way, maybe not solve all of the problems, but go along way. The other benefit of this is, leadership, intensity, defensive speed, and talent level would all take a boost if the Oilers get strong goaltending. As for answers, well I am short on these, however playing Salo night in and night out is the exact path the Oilers should not take. Salo has played many seasons and has shown that he wears out over the long haul when he plays 60 games plus, time for him to earn his spot. Maybe Conklin is the answer, I would like to see him get a chance at 30 games. If not trade/bringin a rookie and let him have a shot. What do we have to loose?

FacelessButcher 10-13-2003 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game 8
After watching two games something comes to mind which has been an overriding theme through the past few seasons. Points have been brought up regarding, talent level, leadership, powerplay, defensive speed, etc. But for my money the number one improvement the Oilers can make this year without ripping the team apart is good goaltending. A goalie who can steal a game, or make an amazing save when the team needs it would go a long way, maybe not solve all of the problems, but go along way. The other benefit of this is, leadership, intensity, defensive speed, and talent level would all take a boost if the Oilers get strong goaltending. As for answers, well I am short on these, however playing Salo night in and night out is the exact path the Oilers should not take. Salo has played many seasons and has shown that he wears out over the long haul when he plays 60 games plus, time for him to earn his spot. Maybe Conklin is the answer, I would like to see him get a chance at 30 games. If not trade/bringin a rookie and let him have a shot. What do we have to loose?

What can we lose? A heck of the lot is the answer, the problem is Salo is not the most highly thought of goalie in the league meaning his trade value is not the highest but has been solid for us. Although Salo has appeared to improve his passing/puck movement I would like a goalie who can play the third d-man like Turco or Brodeur can it would really help our transition and speed down the ice. Tommy may not have the best save percentage and may let in some nasty ones but when we need him to be there he rarely fails us0 I would like us to get a good goalie now who can fill the transition between Salo and Deslauriers though names like Gerber+Garon+Ahonen+Nurminen+Toskala come to mind they are all reasonably cheap if we get them now. I think Conklin will be nothing more than a good back-up and on another note remember those rumors about Bulin coming here its because Torterella is having fights with him, I would consider him an upgrade over Salo but would not want to put a whole lot extra into the deal. About Salo wearing down I have not really noticed that, so long as he has a good back-up who can take up about 20% of the games hes fine if ur talking about his poor play in the playoffs last year I am sure it can be attributed to his shoulder injury.

P.S. Can anyone tell me why Conklin is making 860,000 dollars a year as his first year as back-up when many better more proven back-ups make $500,000-$600,000?

glimradnor 10-13-2003 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=
P.S. Can anyone tell me why Conklin is making 860,000 dollars a year as his first year as back-up when many better more proven back-ups make $500,000-$600,000?[/QUOTE]

<P>
I think it's because Conklin's last name is the same as a company that puts on carnivals and festivals. Maybe he is related to the touring Conklin people somehow. It would make sense. Carnies are adept at ripping people off.

Conklin sucks, I miss Jussi.

creative giant* 10-13-2003 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glimradnor
I think it's because Conklin's last name is the same as a company that puts on carnivals and festivals. Maybe he is related to the touring Conklin people somehow. It would make sense. Carnies are adept at ripping people off.

Conklin sucks, I miss Jussi.

did you see jussi's game against the jackets? looks like we got rid of him just in time

Taco Grande 10-13-2003 10:17 AM

Conklin got the money because he signed as a free agent a few years ago I believe. Was a hobey baker finalist out of college and the oilers were hard up for goaltenders.

At least I think thats how it all happened.