HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Stars at Preds GDT, 11-26 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=194750)

barrytrotzsneck 11-26-2005 10:39 AM

Stars at Preds GDT, 11-26

Maybe this GDT by committee thing works ;)

Johnson and Markov listed as "questionable," which is better than I thought for Markov. I predict...Legwand scores a goal, tonight. That's my only prediction.

Pred303 11-26-2005 01:56 PM

going to be another great game tonight, against another solid well rounded team... hopefully Dallas left some of their legs on the ice last night... they still come in hot,having won 5 straight since we beat them before losing last night in a penalty-fest game...

games near a sellout,which is quite an accomplishment since this is one of those games where the game isn't part of any of the partial ticket packs...should be a great atmosphere, looking forward to it

handtrick 11-26-2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pred303
going to be another great game tonight, against another solid well rounded team... hopefully Dallas left some of their legs on the ice last night... they still come in hot,having won 5 straight since we beat them before losing last night in a penalty-fest game...

games near a sellout,which is quite an accomplishment since this is one of those games where the game isn't part of any of the partial ticket packs...should be a great atmosphere, looking forward to it

I am on call this weekend....gave my tickets to my partner and his new bride.....I sent them a "congrats" message on the jumbotron.....go up and say "hi" to him if you have time.

Pred303 11-26-2005 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
I am on call this weekend....gave my tickets to my partner and his new bride.....I sent them a "congrats" message on the jumbotron.....go up and say "hi" to him if you have time.

sure..what does she look like?

handtrick 11-26-2005 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pred303
sure..what does she look like?

25...blonde....buxom....fits in the butt-bracket....you know, the usual 2nd doctor's wife.....

Pred303 11-26-2005 03:13 PM

Quote:

25...blonde....buxom....fits in the butt-bracket....you know, the usual 2nd doctor's wife.....

hmm..i bet she's gonna be real popular with all the other doctor's wives at the Christmas party...i'll check her out

johnjm22 11-26-2005 07:56 PM

I'm rooting for you guys tonight.

Walzy 11-26-2005 09:29 PM

why are these refs at the Stars-Preds games always such clowns ? :cry:

but thanks for the 2 points

Pred303 11-26-2005 11:26 PM

zero fun tonight..watching the stars on the pp 12 times and then watching them trap whenever anyone was finally at even strength was not my idea of a fun game to watch.. they had made up their minds to slow us down even strength tonight..and they did...started trapping at about the 10 minute mark of a 0-0 game.. and then we help them out by taking stupid penalties...will talk about this one tomorrow, after cooling down for a little while

barrytrotzsneck 11-26-2005 11:43 PM

Our power play did everything that it was doing during the 5 game losing streak.

Too cute, too many passes. Kariya with at least 4 blind passes into the slot that ended up on the stick of a Stars PKer and then right back into our end. Sullivan and Erat guilty of being way too "cute." We might as well have not even played in the second, since we spent the whole period on the PK. I wish I could say that the refs were being too quick to make calls...but the only calls I thought were a little weak were the ones called on the Stars. Timonen's hook off the faceoff, RIGHT after coming out of the box was one of the stupidest penalties I've ever seen him take, and it was so blatant that I laughed when he turned to the ref with a, "oh come on!" look on his face. Turco made some great saves early and on the PP, but on the whole he didn't have to be that great. We missed Markov ES....bad. Not only for his physicality, but his breakout passes are rivaled only by Zidlicky in terms of accuracy. Hall's stone hands pretty visible tonight. I haven't looked at the numbers, but it SEEMED like we got roughed up pretty bad. Key faceoffs, too. Daley's goal(the third for the Stars) came on a draw as a PP expired, and I think that was the backbreaker for the Preds, considering Hartnell had scored just minutes before to make it a one goal game.

Something I've noticed...and I don't know what Trotz's reasoning is...4\4...we seem to treat like a kill. For example, Smithson and Fiddler were out as the forwards for a 4 on 4. Why? The other team treats it like a PP, and we end up hemmed in our zone, trying not to be scored upon more than trying to score. I'm also seeing less aggression on the PK than last year, which can probably be attributed to Walker's injury and made worse by Johnson being out.

Fourth line seemed not to see any ice time in the third.

Well, you can't win them all, but this wasn't even fun to watch. Easily the most boring game I've seen all season.

braindead 11-27-2005 12:15 AM

Easily the deadest crowd of the year too-- pretty silent in the early going before there were reasons to be grim. It was definitely $1 night on cute passes. The Pred's seemed to think they couldn't beat Turco straight-up (and proved it). Plenty of blame to go around but given we were within 1 in the 3rd and can't win them all, I'm going to let this one go and dream of TV slashing Iginla in the crease on Tuesday.

jstreet 11-27-2005 12:17 AM

well I dont want to get too hung up on the refs because we blew our PP chances including our 5 on 3, but that 2nd period was just ridiculous.

Someone should check and see who the Star's stength and conditioning coach is, because those men were all over the place at the slightest touch. I guess I cant blame them too much if the Preds are not smart enough to adjust to how the game is being called.

I was one of those idiots who were yelling "Shoot the puck". I havent yelled that phrase that many times since the *elmore days. The only problem was that the Preds finally listened to the crowds plea- only at the wrong time. The shot selection on the late PP were horrible.

We werent good in any aspect of this game, The Stars showed up to play and The Preds just didnt.

Im just a little more upset than usually because this was one of maybe two games that Ill get to see in person this season.

Pred303 11-27-2005 07:32 AM

easily the most boring game of the year to watch...

..dallas came in with an obvious gameplan of neutralizing our speed, so every time they chipped the puck deep they were setting up the trap. and this was early in the first with the score 0-0.
..still, there in the first we could have won this game. three great chances. kariya off the pipe. fiddler's mismanged 2 on 1 with hartnell on the pk. hall and zidlicky's 2 on 1 where zudov made a great stick save. those early missed chances haunted us tonight.
..we outplayed them easily in the first, but those 3 penalties we took were a sign of things to come.
..i'm not blaming the refs for most of this. we took some stupid,stupid penalties. stevenson with the roughing that negated the pp we had with it 0-0. stevenson with the trip about 100 feet away from the play. timonen with a blantant hooking call, after he had JUST taken another hooking call. sullivan with the unsportsmanlike. the bench minor. upshall's shooting the puck over the glass. sully taking the tripping penalty in our own end that negated yet another one of our pp's. allison with the momentum killing hooking one that he plainly did.
..about the only really terrible penalty called was the adam hall charging that gave them one of their 5 on 3's. now this was a terrible call, where a star tripped over vokoun who was lieing int he crease, and the ref saw hall skating hard to the net and thought hall must have hit him. well maybe that one and the one where timonen got his first hooking penalty, but only lifted the guy's stick with his stick
..still we were the ones that put ourselves in this hole, not the refs, because they were obviously going to call any little thing, and we didn't adjust.

..now as to the game. Dallas goal one. simple screwup here by us. modano skates the puck low,taking legwand with him. kariya supposed to slide over and cover the slot,didn't. gave them that easy mid-slot one timer to lehtinen,their leading scorer. he isn't going to miss many of those. kariya's relative inexperience on the pk caused this. of course he was only out there because we were taking so many frigging penalties
..the barnes goal. good hard shot off the drop pass. no easy save, but one that vokoun should/normally stops.
..we're lucky it wasn't three to nothing in the 2nd, legwand stole one by reaching behind vokoun and swatting away a puck sitting on the line. which i actually thought was a goal, thank god they didn't review it.
..our goal. our single goal. legwand giftwrapped that one for harts. great pass looking one way, passing between a dman's legs right onto harts stick. i actually think this one was going straight in without harts touching it turco was beaten so bad on this one
..but, that was the only time he was beaten. twice on the pp we worked the puck around beautifully and made a cross crease pass to a guy breaking down the far slot for what should have been easy goals. hamhuis from kariya once, that turco flat made a beaut of a post to post save on. then sully to erat, where erat flubbed the shot and just nicked it, and allowing turco to just get over.
..their third goal was the backbreaker. we finally score and get right into it. and the next frigging shift allison gets beat horribly by the guy skating into the low slot, and allison has to take a hooking penalty. cost us any chance at this game ultimately. you cann't have a shift like we had on that one when you've just scored to fight back into the game (sully,hall,fiddler,eaton and allison were out).
..the actual goal, we have a great first 1:54 pk. then fiddler with a horrible defensive zone faceoff loss and the shot thru 6 people. just a great shot, but you halfway expect vokoun to not allow that one back shortside.
..minutes played in this one tell stories. of course with all the special team time, the 4th line hardly played at all. stevenson, hordichuk might as well not have dressed (less than 3 minutes each). in fact considering that stevenson took 2 penalties in those 2 damn minutes, i'd rather him not have dressed.
..upshall, allison, smithson, get less than 8 minutes each too. notice that didn't stop them each from taking their own penalty. shame with upshall because he's been showing some offense lately.
..allison. his not playing caused us to play all other 5 dmen more than 20 minutes each. which hurt late.
..perreualt for the 4th game in a row has his minutes severely limited. we have to do something here. when your supposed 2nd line center cann't be trusted to play 10 minutes a game, something is wrong. when your supposed 2nd line center sees his minutes lower than two Milwaukee grind line callup centermen game after game, something needs to change. we tried to use perreualt in key faceoff special team situations last night. but to really frustrate all concerned perreualt couldn't win a faceoff when we really need him to and had put him out there for that one thing. (like on our 5 on 3 pp). frustrating.
..of course to be fair to all, sullivan played his worse game of the year, kariya played poorly making one blind pass after the other, erat had a terrible game, overhanded the puck and simply wouldn't pass a couple of times when he should have and flubbing an almost sure goal on that pp. then all the people that took all those horrible penalties. so there was plenty to blame

...it's just a loss, no big deal. we lost to a good team that simply outplayed us tonight. but like all home losses, it was painful.

predperson 11-27-2005 10:25 AM

Quote:

Handtrick: You picked an excellent game to miss....I hope your partner and his bride had a great time but I know the game didn't entertain them (watching paint dry would have been more exciting than that game last night).

nine_inch_fang 11-27-2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predperson
(watching paint dry would have been more exciting than that game last night).

Yeah I noticed that one restroom on the upperlevel had a new coat and stayed around to see what the final outcome looked like.

Basher 11-27-2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

Your life partner has a wife...i'm lost.

handtrick 11-27-2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher
Your life partner has a wife...i'm lost.

Business partner, my man.....you may understand such things when you get out in the real world and get off daddy's dole.....well maybe not.....

handtrick 11-27-2005 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predperson
Handtrick: You picked an excellent game to miss....I hope your partner and his bride had a great time but I know the game didn't entertain them (watching paint dry would have been more exciting than that game last night).

I got him a third jersey.....had Kariya and Sullivan sign it.....and had puck patrol deliver it to him during the first period.

From the call I got from him during the game.....it sounds like he was having a great time.....

predperson 11-27-2005 12:26 PM

Quote:

I got him a third jersey.....had Kariya and Sullivan sign it.....and had puck patrol deliver it to him during the first period.

From the call I got from him during the game.....it sounds like he was having a great time.....

Well good....I'd hate that game to decide if he liked the Predators enough to be a fan.

Bad Karma 11-27-2005 05:20 PM

Quote:

They made it on the jumbo-tron......I saw them.

crazydave 11-27-2005 11:15 PM

Kind of an off-topic question, but I think it has some promise.

What do you think about the NHL "outlawing" the trap like the NBA did for zone defense?

I don't know the plausibility of doing this but if they could figure out a good way to do it it could open up the game even more.

I couldnt even get into the Stars game it was so boring and it was my first game!

Basher 11-28-2005 01:36 AM

Quote:

Business partner, my man.....you may understand such things when you get out in the real world and get off daddy's dole.....well maybe not.....

That is quite the liberal usage of the word "dole". Who uses that these days anyway, seriously?

Basher 11-28-2005 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazydave
Kind of an off-topic question, but I think it has some promise.

What do you think about the NHL "outlawing" the trap like the NBA did for zone defense?

I don't know the plausibility of doing this but if they could figure out a good way to do it it could open up the game even more.

I couldnt even get into the Stars game it was so boring and it was my first game!

It would be great in theory. They may have a hard time defining the "trap" though, and policing it once a rule was established. Like many of the rules, the referees have to be beaten with sticks before they consistently call them. It could work though, if a strict plan was devised to enforce it and not create some negative backlash in the process.

predperson 11-28-2005 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher
That is quite the liberal usage of the word "dole". Who uses that these days anyway, seriously?

Basher: we know you are young, college-age, hip.....all of that. All us old farts, working-stiffs take a while to catch up on the latest urban lingo....give us a break. :eek: