HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Center Trade Options (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=195174)

handtrick 11-27-2005 05:20 PM

Center Trade Options

I know this thread is TOTALLY premature, but was looking to get some thoughts, if indeed, Poile was looking to feel out the trade options out there at the center postion.
Giving Kris Beech a call up, would certainly be something I would expect Poile would first consider, as he is apparently playing fairly strong down in Milwaukee.

That being said, apparently, there are some clubs that are rumored to be looking to deal [aren't there always].....two in particular caught my eye....Florida and San Jose.

Would anybody be interested in SJ's Marcel Goc or Florida's Stephen Weiss?
Neither have great size, but they both seem like a current upgrade to YP.

Thoughts?

barrytrotzsneck 11-27-2005 05:40 PM

I'd say Zidlicky is our best trade chip, but that would mean making Allison a full time Predator, not something I'm interested in. It would have to be a deal that saw us sending a combination of picks\prospects, maybe one of our well-regarded defensive prospects...Kevin Klein probably the best option.

Habs13 11-27-2005 06:40 PM

Habs need young D and prospect D.... Ribeiro??

Joe T Choker 11-27-2005 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs13
Habs need young D and prospect D.... Ribeiro??

no thanks on the actor

Enoch 11-27-2005 07:21 PM

Okay guys, we all talk about character when it comes to the Predators, so if we acquire a center, what are the stipulations:

Willingness to play 2-way hockey
Skating ability
Grit? Or at the least, solid work ethics?

I think the center would have to be at least average in all three of those categories along with offensive prowess (this is a 2nd line position), if we were to trade for him...

That excludes Ribero very quickly.

handtrick 11-27-2005 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
Okay guys, we all talk about character when it comes to the Predators, so if we acquire a center, what are the stipulations:

Willingness to play 2-way hockey
Skating ability
Grit? Or at the least, solid work ethics?

I think the center would have to be at least average in all three of those categories along with offensive prowess (this is a 2nd line position), if we were to trade for him...

That excludes Ribero very quickly.

I agree that your above 3 stipulations are absolute minimums. I would add to that at least above average playmaking with goal scoring potential [maybe not yet fully realized] as near necessities to interest Poile in making a move.
Size would be a plus, but not a necessity, in my mind.

Enoch 11-27-2005 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
I agree that your above 3 stipulations are absolute minimums. I would add to that at least above average playmaking with goal scoring potential [maybe not yet fully realized] as near necessities to interest Poile in making a move.
Size would be a plus, but not a necessity, in my mind.

I don't think Goc is the answer, but he would be better than Perrault. Everyone would like to see a Handzus, but I question how much we would have to give to get him. I would like to see a team trade us a young player for one of our young players. The Flyers are loaded at young centermen, it would be interesting to see how much they want to keep all of their centers at wing. Same for the Panthers...

Weiss would be intriguing. In fact, I would love to add him over Perrault. By all accounts he plays a solid two way game....He is small, but anything is better than Perrault at this point. Besides, he could always play as a 3rd line center if his defense is solid enough, and with Hartnell and Hall on the third line...that could be a very potent/defensive minded line.

handtrick 11-27-2005 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
I don't think Goc is the answer, but he would be better than Perrault. Everyone would like to see a Handzus, but I question how much we would have to give to get him. I would like to see a team trade us a young player for one of our young players. The Flyers are loaded at young centermen, it would be interesting to see how much they want to keep all of their centers at wing. Same for the Panthers...

Weiss would be intriguing. In fact, I would love to add him over Perrault. By all accounts he plays a solid two way game....He is small, but anything is better than Perrault at this point. Besides, he could always play as a 3rd line center if his defense is solid enough, and with Hartnell and Hall on the third line...that could be a very potent/defensive minded line.

I have always thought Philly would be a natural trading partner with us.....as they have excess center depth and could use a young two way, skating, puck moving defenseman. I have always had my eye on RJ Umberger....and I always have thought Umberger for Klein plus possibly a low round pick or Gamache to make it happen would be a fair trade.

nine_inch_fang 11-27-2005 07:59 PM

I am not much on trade speculation since I don't watch enough of the other NHL games but I think this is a great thread to create conversation other than the same rehashed stuff. :clap:

jstreet 11-28-2005 01:28 PM

maybe we could call up Robitaille....oh wait.....

yentlmania 11-30-2005 06:20 PM

Long suffering Blues fan here...interested in your thoughts on Weight as your centre du jour. Meets your 3 criteria, excels at playoff time, wants to go to a winner , excellent playmaker, might help mentor some of your youth, presume some longer term deal would be worked out in advance//parallel to the deal to make it work for you. Realistically, what would be available back, keeping in mind that both Ottawa and Calgary are on the record as being interested?

Enoch 11-30-2005 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yentlmania
Long suffering Blues fan here...interested in your thoughts on Weight as your centre du jour. Meets your 3 criteria, excels at playoff time, wants to go to a winner , excellent playmaker, might help mentor some of your youth, presume some longer term deal would be worked out in advance//parallel to the deal to make it work for you. Realistically, what would be available back, keeping in mind that both Ottawa and Calgary are on the record as being interested?

Well, I think he would only be dealt to us at the trade deadline, and even then, we are probably looking at near 2 million due....If we did trade, I would say we would try to pawn off a second round pick, and if more was needed a forward wing prospect such as Shishkanov or Glazachev. The prospect may need to be switched to a roster player if the incoming salary is too high, in which case I am not sure we would even make the trade. Still, this move would only be made if Poile was really confident in our chances to go forward in the playoffs.....i.e. this move pushes us over the edge. I'm not quite sure we are there.

So anyways, does that answer your question? Its very similar to the Kovalev deal to the Habs....we would probably be overpaying. I don't have a standard to base this on as the trade climate in the NHL has drastically changed. Maybe a second gets it done now...