HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Berard rumored to be talking to Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19529)

misterjaggers 10-13-2003 09:16 AM

Berard rumored to be talking to Kings

Spector's (http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/default.html) cites the CBC and ESPN. We have a thread started over in Bruin's land if you'd like to chime in: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=19474

kingsfan25 10-13-2003 12:39 PM

I really don't think there is a place for Berard on this team.

Face Wash 10-13-2003 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan25
I really don't think there is a place for Berard on this team.

I agree... unless Corvo is convicted of assault, then :dunno:

Legionnaire 10-13-2003 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Wash
I agree... unless Corvo is convicted of assault, then :dunno:

Ugh, I totally forgot that his hearing is coming up.

TubbyTerrion* 10-13-2003 02:35 PM

anyone who claims they would rather have Joe Corvo on the blueline over Bryan Berard is clearly missing some elementary component of hockey scouting and talent evaluation.

Corvo really hasn't proven anything yet. He played 50 games with an NHL club that was clearly an AHL club.

Berard is a gifted offensive defenseman, who, yes, does lack some defensive grit, but even with a portion of his vision impaired, is clearly a skilled and talented young hockey player.

FYI, both Corvo and Berard were born during the first half of 1977.

Face Wash 10-13-2003 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
anyone who claims they would rather have Joe Corvo on the blueline over Bryan Berard is clearly missing some elementary component of hockey scouting and talent evaluation.

Corvo really hasn't proven anything yet. He played 50 games with an NHL club that was clearly an AHL club.

Berard is a gifted offensive defenseman, who, yes, does lack some defensive grit, but even with a portion of his vision impaired, is clearly a skilled and talented young hockey player.

FYI, both Corvo and Berard were born during the first half of 1977.

To sign Bryan Berard the Kings would need to pay him a multi-year deal worth about $2.1 mil minimum. Thats 5-times what Joe Corvo makes ($475k). There is no way you can tell me, having watched Joe Corvo play, remembering that he lead all Rookie Defensemen in scoring last season in 50 games, that Berard is 5-Times better than Corvo. If the Kings can get Berard cheap and work out a deal with BOS not to match him, then fine... go get Berard. But that's not likely.

Teams use young drafted players or sign young free agent players to save money. Corvo to me at the $$$ is better to have than Berard. If Corvo goes to jail, then The Kings should have an interest in Berard.

But until they know Corvo's future... they're fine as they are. They'll get Matty & Miller with a few weeks, Gleason has looked really strong so far... Berard's not a huge necessity right now.

willie 10-13-2003 03:43 PM

Quote:

But until they know Corvo's future... they're fine as they are.

Not really. Even with Miller and Norstrom, this is still one of the softest defense corps in the league. We really need another bruiser back there, even if it is just in a 5/6 role. But, obviously, Berard is not exactly the answer to toughening up the defense.

An interesting thought, though. Could interest in Berard be foreshadowing another potential deal?

Adding Berard could make Modry or Visnvosky expendable. Maybe deal one of them for a tough defenseman? Or some scoring help?

Just dreaming... :rolly:

Visnovsky + prospects/picks for Comrie
sign Berard

Deadmarsh - Allison - Comrie - Norstrom - Corvo
Frolov - Stumpel - Palffy - Miller - Berard
Robitaille - Armstrong - Klatt - Modry - Gleason/Grebs/Strbak etc.
Avery - Belanger - Laperriere - Cechmanek - Huet

Not bad... :o

Captain Ron 10-13-2003 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
Not really. Even with Miller and Norstrom, this is still one of the softest defense corps in the league. We really need another bruiser back there, even if it is just in a 5/6 role. But, obviously, Berard is not exactly the answer to toughening up the defense.

An interesting thought, though. Could interest in Berard be foreshadowing another potential deal?

Adding Berard could make Modry or Visnvosky expendable. Maybe deal one of them for a tough defenseman? Or some scoring help?

Just dreaming... :rolly:

sign Berard

Deadmarsh - Allison - Comrie - Norstrom - Corvo
Frolov - Stumpel - Palffy - Miller - Berard
Robitaille - Armstrong - Klatt - Modry - Gleason/Grebs/Strbak etc.
Avery - Belanger - Laperriere - Cechmanek - Huet

Not bad... :o

At this point I would rather have Brown in there over Avery, Armstrong or Frolov.

TubbyTerrion* 10-13-2003 05:38 PM

Quote:

To sign Bryan Berard the Kings would need to pay him a multi-year deal worth about $2.1 mil minimum. Thats 5-times what Joe Corvo makes ($475k). There is no way you can tell me, having watched Joe Corvo play, remembering that he lead all Rookie Defensemen in scoring last season in 50 games, that Berard is 5-Times better than Corvo. If the Kings can get Berard cheap and work out a deal with BOS not to match him, then fine... go get Berard. But that's not likely.

Teams use young drafted players or sign young free agent players to save money. Corvo to me at the $$$ is better to have than Berard. If Corvo goes to jail, then The Kings should have an interest in Berard.

But until they know Corvo's future... they're fine as they are. They'll get Matty & Miller with a few weeks, Gleason has looked really strong so far... Berard's not a huge necessity right now.

I agree with virtually everything you said, and frankly, I'm not big on signing Berard. I was merely trying to make the point that Bryan Berard > Joe Corvo (if all things were equal.) And, wow, leading rookie defensemen in scoring wasn't that tough given the amount of ice and PP time that Corvo got compared to other "offensive" defensemen. Though it should be pointed out he was EIGHTH in rookie defensemen scoring (points) -- He was first in GOALS, with five, which was one more than a few people, and two more than a few others. No big deal. I'm not sold on Corvo yet, no matter how many times he happened to touch the puck in a sequence that led to a Kings goal.

Face Wash 10-13-2003 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I agree with virtually everything you said, and frankly, I'm not big on signing Berard. I was merely trying to make the point that Bryan Berard > Joe Corvo (if all things were equal.) And, wow, leading rookie defensemen in scoring wasn't that tough given the amount of ice and PP time that Corvo got compared to other "offensive" defensemen. Though it should be pointed out he was EIGHTH in rookie defensemen scoring (points) -- He was first in GOALS, with five, which was one more than a few people, and two more than a few others. No big deal. I'm not sold on Corvo yet, no matter how many times he happened to touch the puck in a sequence that led to a Kings goal.

And you'll never be sold on him, unless he plays. So he needs that opportunity.. :)

no name 10-13-2003 09:01 PM

Quote:

I would also like to add that Berard isnt an average defender. he is far below average and would not be in the league had he not been able to score at least 35 to 40 points a year.

IGM 10-14-2003 06:52 AM

I don't know about that. I went and asked about him on the B board and they all seem to think that his play in his own end was solid last year. The majority of them felt that he USED to be one of the best young two way D and that everyone was expecting him to be that kind of player again. He isn't and it doesn't look like he ever will be that guy again. That doesn't mean that he can't still be a very good young D though. His +/- was pretty good most of last year and while he was on the team to provide transition movement and O (which he was pretty good at) nobody seemed to think he was all that bad on his primary responsibility. (D)

The guy isn't going to be an All Star again any time soon but he would be as (cough) good as Modry at providing O and probably at least as good at providing D. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he wouldn't be in the league if not for his O contributions but, since you did, I guess you could say the same about every player. The only reason that any two way D men are in the league is because they can score. The only reason that Gretz was in the league was because he could score etc etc. I am just saying that scoring is a big part of BB's job and that should be the reason he is in the league.

LuckyLUC20 10-14-2003 09:43 AM

Quote:

sign Berard

I don't know about trading Visnovsky... he's been stepping up his game so far. He's been blocking shots and making smart defensive plays... I really like him on the Kings. He's been one of their best players to start the season so far considering Norstrom and Miller are both out.

Just my opinion though. :dunno:

no name 10-14-2003 02:17 PM

Another thing that I dont think was covered is the fact that he now is blind in one eye. This may have had something to do with his regression.

guzmania 10-14-2003 02:53 PM

I know he's as popular as the mumps around here but Kuznetzov will not be kept out of the country forever. He has taken hits on footspeed and stuff but he is big and can play mean. That's why he was obtained, to be a tough monkey on the blue line. He, Miller, Gleason and Norstrom all mitigate against a "soft" defense. It is in fact a good mix of skill and toughness. It is mobile and it scores. The only change that is indicated at this time is waiting for the guys to return to the lineup. We haven't given up six in laugher yet. We are at the top of the league in GA numbers. The tide is turning. We're gonna be OK.

That said the Sens will be a test, as will the rest of the homestand.

agentfouser 10-14-2003 03:48 PM

Quote:

sign Berard

that would have to be one heck of a package of picks and prospects for comrie...

wabwat 10-14-2003 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guzmaniac
I know he's as popular as the mumps around here but Kuznetzov will not be kept out of the country forever. He has taken hits on footspeed and stuff but he is big and can play mean. That's why he was obtained, to be a tough monkey on the blue line. He, Miller, Gleason and Norstrom all mitigate against a "soft" defense. It is in fact a good mix of skill and toughness. It is mobile and it scores. The only change that is indicated at this time is waiting for the guys to return to the lineup. We haven't given up six in laugher yet. We are at the top of the league in GA numbers. The tide is turning. We're gonna be OK.

That said the Sens will be a test, as will the rest of the homestand.

i agree.

and i've said it before... kuznetzov was well thought of by scotty bowman... he only fell out of favor after lewis took over.

and with regards to bryan berard... i've also said... the most glaring difference between he and corvo is simple math: berard is only 26 years old, and corvo is already 26 years old.