HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Rant: 11/28/05 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=195618)

Rob Stauber* 11-29-2005 12:33 AM

Rant: 11/28/05

This was absolutely sickening to watch. The Phoenix game was pretty bad but it was on a back to back night. Opening Night in Dallas could be charged to the new penalty rules and us not having any resolve. But tonight was disgusting and this crap could turn out to be a turning point in the season.

There are no excuses. We were playing a kid. This is the kind of team you play in the playoffs. We got completely outworked. It was embarrassing. The score should have been 9-0, in all honesty. I refuse to chalk this up to, "Detroits just a good team." Or, "We just had one of those games." NO! This is a team that already beat us TWICE! this year!!!!! We had 2 days off and had just played a crappy game against a crappy team in Chicago.

And we come out with this effort ????? What is wrong ????

Its pretty sad when the head coach and his assistant have condescending statements in regards to what their gameplan is. Speak of Van Boxmeer, he needs to go. Dave Taylor needs to look in the mirror. He's talkin about how he's gonna resign Murray and his staff. Tell Murray straight up that if this crap PP doesnt im prove, Van Boxmeer will not be offered a contract. I don't think I've ever seen such a talented offensive even strenght team be so horrible on the PP.

Pavol Demitra: Does anyone wanna still wanna argue that this guys better than Frolov ? Gimme a break! He mysteriously disappears so much that I'm gonna refer to him from now on as Robert Stack!

Craig Conroy: He had a horrible start, a great middle and now he's back to where he started. Absolute garbage play.

Tim Gleason: I dont know how the hell this guy keeps escapin criticsm. He's been below average the last 5 games. Is it THAT hard to get a puck out of the zone ?

Speaking of getting the puck out of the zone, is it that hard ? I mean, is it rocket science ? I cant think of how many times we've pulled that stunt this year. What makes it even worse is that our D-Men are hell bent on taking the puck, standing behind the net and then arent able to get it out.

Where was Cowan ?

Why didn't Weaver dress ?..............Dempsey ? ? ? ? ? PLEASE!

Armstrong/Roenick/Robitaille: These 3 are a joke. They are so lazy and passive. Theyll have 1-2 good shifts a game. They have absolutely not hustle, dont back check one bit. Robitaille needs to retire. Roenick should be relegated to 4th line duty.

Labarbara: Felt sorry for the guy, he made some really BIG saves!

Kostopoulos: Just release him already. He's has horrible balance. He can't even throw a check. He's falling all over the place. If you reason for keeping him is his PK skills then get out of my face! They get someone else, they have enough to kill them off. He's SO replaceable.

Brown & Cammalleri: I liked what they brought tonite. But Andy Murray was hell bent on putting out that horrible Roenick line. Brown choked on that one shot in 3rd but at least he was working hard and making plays. Same with Cammy.

I think drastice measures need to be made. This is playoff type hockey and we just proved we failed miserabley. Theres a good chance they could lose to Chicago and if they dont step it up they could end up winless on the Eastern swing.

Andy Murray's gotta nip this in the bud. Send Robitaille a message. In fact, he shouldnt even be playing regularly.

Release Kostopoulos.

Make Robitaille the 13th Forward.

Put Roenick & Armstrong on the 4th line and give them 6-8 minutes a game.

Declined every penalty until you fire Van Boxmeer.

and finally..............

BRING UP THE KIDS!

Its time to end this vacation and let these old guys out there like Roenick/Robitaille that are just cashing checks that its time to put up or shut up.

Bring up Tambellini, bring up Kanko, bring up Petiot, bring up Tukonen..........HELL! Bring up GREBS! Give these guys a shot. They'll bring hard work, speed and grit.

If you think im overreacting then your wrong. This could easily be the start of a downward spiral and a change must be made immediately!

kingsfan25 11-29-2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
Tim Gleason: I dont know how the hell this guy keepsescapin criticsm. He's been below average the last 5 games. Is it THAT hard to get a puck out of the zone ?

Hey, anyone who makes Shanahan bleed is fine by me.

And you are right about the effort. I don't think anyone can dispute that this was difficult to watch/listen to. I hope Murray skates everyone into the ground tomorrow.

Reaper45 11-29-2005 12:43 AM

It was a bad effort sure, but you are totally overreacting.

Ziggy Stardust 11-29-2005 12:44 AM

A good hard skate without any pucks should send them a message. Oh and I don't even want to get started on their powerplay. I have been pressing this as a big concern early on, even when they were winning. What more can be said about it that hasn't already been beaten to death? Just look at Detroit's powerplay tonight compared to the Kings. I bet it would be nice to have a pressence like Schneider out there.

Rob Stauber* 11-29-2005 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
It was a bad effort sure, but you are totally overreacting.

I don't think I am. I see a team that has potential to really do something. I've waited 17 years as a Kings fan to see them win and since 1993 we haven't even gotten within a sniff. I will not sit back and let them fall to an 8th seed and get swept out of the first round again.

As for Gleason, I love how he went after Shanahan. If he hand't done that, I probably would have added on another paragraph to my rant about him.

Albi 11-29-2005 01:19 AM

Sure we are not playing our best hockey lately but I remind you our record is 16-8-1

The upcoming road trip will tell us a lot of things.

TonySCV 11-29-2005 01:38 AM

If we go 4-0 on the road, no one is going to remember a glint about this game. As warped as it sounds, losing tonight may give the team a much needed shot in the arm to play their ***** off on the road... or they could melt down and go 0-4, but I doubt the latter scenario FAR more than the former.

Detroit brought their A+ game and the Kings brought their D- game. The Kings are nowhere near as bad as they played tonight and there's no way in hades the Wings will play that good all year long. It's just one of those games. 1 of 82. Moving right along.

- T

double_del 11-29-2005 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
This was absolutely sickening to watch. The Phoenix game was pretty bad but it was on a back to back night. Opening Night in Dallas could

If you think im overreacting then your wrong. This could easily be the start of a downward spiral and a change must be made immediately!

Dude you are totally overreacting and I'm not wrong. We are a good team but not an elite team. Detroit still is. Losses like this hurt. But I think the team is headed in the right direction. Gleason is playing really well. Brown leads the team in hits. The downfall of the team is obviously the PP. I'm not sure the PP will be able to be fixed this year.

nikolai19 11-29-2005 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albi
Sure we are not playing our best hockey lately but I remind you our record is 16-8-1

The upcoming road trip will tell us a lot of things.

Great point. Tonight's game was one of the three worst outings in the season so far. But remember this, it has been a successful season up to this point. The problem that I have seen in the last few games is that we are not getting output from people we expect it from. Roenick, Cammalleri, and Brown have been disapointing. Its very hard watching Roenick-Armstrong-Robitalle because they are old and don't get back defensively. There needs to be a shakeup in lines again. I wouldn't mind seeing Avery center Kostopolous and Cowan and have Belanger center Robitalle and Roenick. Brown-Armstrong-Cammalleri is a combo we haven't seen much of all year but it's worth a shot.

Also, as bad as it has been in the last three, Corvo has been a bright spot. I don't think there is any question that we still need help defensively because Weaver and Dempsey are not playing NHL defense. I don't know who is available but it would be nice to pick up another real solid defenseman who can log Visnovsky, Norstrom, Miller type minutes. Gleason has been doing well but is subject to some lapses. As good as Corvo has been lately, we know he is prone to errors. I don't know if a guy like Grebeshkov or Petiot should get a call, but it's something that is scary at this point.

Remember, we were not going to go 74-7-1 this year. We are bound to lose games like this to teams that sit atop the Western Conference with us. The good thing is that we are beating teams we are supposed to beat like Chicago and Columbus.

This trip needs to start with a win in Chicago and get at least one out of three in Canada.

Kingz4life 11-29-2005 01:56 AM

Your going to get games like this. I didn't see the game but it's a 82 game schedule, so there's going to be some off nights. It's how we bounce back after a loss that explains the character of the team and we haven't lost back to back games all season.

With thats said, we need to make some changes:

Frolov-Conroy-Demitra
Tamballeni-Roenick-Cammalleri
Luc-Army-Brown
Cowan-Belanger-Avery

Yes, I think it's time to call up Tambs.

Osprey 11-29-2005 01:58 AM

This was bound to happend sooner or later.

The Kings have been a one-line team all season. That just won't cut it for a full season, to speak nothing of the playoffs. I think you're being too tough on the top line, Rob. It's too early to say that it's happened already, but there will come a time when teams learn to shut down Frolov, Conroy and Demitra and the Kings will be left dead in the water with no scoring. Tonight was a warning of what could be in the Kings near future if the other lines don't start clicking.

It's kind of funny that, as recently as a couple weeks ago, some people were saying that the team didn't need Bure. Oh, what we wouldn't give to have his speed and sniper instincts in the lineup now.

You have a serious problem when Robitaille and Armstrong are on your 2nd line.

All of this even-strength disorganization wouldn't matter so much if the Kings could punish teams every night with a powerplay goal or two. The coaches finally woke up and added Cammalleri back into the #1 PP unit, but the PP clearly has greater problems than that.

Tonight is just 1 game, yes, but it doesn't sit well that three of the four teams that the Kings will face on the road in the next week are either as good as the Red Wings or almost as good. If the Kings really are equals of these teams, then they need to send a message on this road trip and take at least 5 of the available 8 points.

Venom_17 11-29-2005 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Hey, anyone who makes Shanahan bleed is fine by me.

And you are right about the effort. I don't think anyone can dispute that this was difficult to watch/listen to. I hope Murray skates everyone into the ground tomorrow.

Yeah Gleason showed some real heart and some good skill chucking the knuckles there. Most impressive.

Let's face it, we're not as good of a team as our record indicates. We haven't played that many good teams...the West is pretty even this year.

Detroit has been the cream of the crop so far, and they have our number.

Our team still has a lot of q marks, most notably our defence. DT needs to shore that up before Christmas IMO if we are going for our division. And hell, why not, it is definitely an attainable goal.

I don't understand why GMs don't make earlier trades, but instead go like cattle to a trough at the trade deadline. Look at TBay getting Sydor last year, done early enough so he could acclimate himself to the team. Unreal pickup for them. The price for a guy like Witt only raises the longer you wait.

zeppelin97 11-29-2005 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17
The price for a guy like Witt only raises the longer you wait.

Probably explains why washington is waiting for the trade deadline to deal him. He'll be making close to nothing and their will be more suitors for witt by then.

Osprey 11-29-2005 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17
Our team still has a lot of q marks, most notably our defence. DT needs to shore that up before Christmas IMO if we are going for our division. And hell, why not, it is definitely an attainable goal.

I agree, but DT said the other day that he's happy with the team and isn't looking to trade, so I highly doubt anything will happen soon, especially before Christmas.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_18
I don't understand why GMs don't make earlier trades, but instead go like cattle to a trough at the trade deadline.

I think it's mostly because weak teams aren't willing to part with their assets until they're out of the playoff race. The quality of players available now won't be as high as at the deadline and the Kings probably won't find their ideal top-4 powerplay quarterback at this point in the season, but there should still be some good players available. Simply a solid defenseman would help the Kings a lot right now. Burke won't trade Carney to a division rival, but the fact that a defenseman like that might be available suggests that similar players may be quietly available on other teams that are struggling. A guy like Sean Hill might be available and a good fit for the Kings.

Another stickler is that teams at this point in the season are likely looking for players that can help them immediately. Deadline deals, on the other hand, are almost exclusively for picks and non-roster players. The Kings don't have much that they're willing to part with that can help a team immediately, which makes it hard for DT to do anything. I think that he could pull something off if he tried, though.

Personally, I know it's asking a lot, but I'd love for the team to get a solid defenseman now and a big-name at the deadline. I don't think it has to be one or the other.

King Blazer 11-29-2005 07:46 AM

Disappointing effort by a lot of the guys last night...

Every line that has been centered by Roenick this season has been horrible...

Where was Cowan? I don't know, he didn't skate a shift after the first period. TK was done after the middle of the 2nd...

Murray called out some vets in the Daily News today:

"Detroit's veterans played well," Murray said. "I'm disappointed with some of our veterans. We've been waiting for some of them to get it going and they better get it going or we will replace them."

link: www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3260501

Just words. They're not going to replace anyone. Hell, they don't even have an extra healthy forward on the roster right now...

AndersEriksson* 11-29-2005 08:09 AM

The rant is way better than the team :yo:

Fat Elvis 11-29-2005 09:33 AM

Wow, that was impressive. How much did you end up drinking?

GKJ 11-29-2005 09:49 AM

Detroit owns the Kings, it happens. Just gotta work out of it.

I think Adam Deadmarsh scored the last GWG vs. Detroit for the Kings...it's been a while. These are things that just happen. Plus the Kings were going to lose 2 in a row eventually. Don't push the red button yet, the Kings still lead the division...

ILuvLA 11-29-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Detroit owns the Kings, it happens. Just gotta work out of it.

I think Adam Deadmarsh scored the last GWG vs. Detroit for the Kings...it's been a while. These are things that just happen. Plus the Kings were going to lose 2 in a row eventually. Don't push the red button yet, the Kings still lead the division...

Thank goodness, the voice of reason, finally. The game stunk, no two ways about it. We still haven't lost 2 in row - yet. But it's bound to happen. The sky is not falling at this time. The PP needs to be addressed NOW, along with more balance lines and I agree we badly need help defensively. The most glaring problem to me is the PP or should I say lack of PP - it's going to kill us if not corrected.

Face Wash 11-29-2005 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuvLA
Thank goodness, the voice of reason, finally. The game stunk, no two ways about it. We still haven't lost 2 in row - yet. But it's bound to happen. The sky is not falling at this time. The PP needs to be addressed NOW, along with more balance lines and I agree we badly need help defensively. The most glaring problem to me is the PP or should I say lack of PP - it's going to kill us if not corrected.

That's all fine and good... but we better hope the road to the cup doesn't go through DET or NAS. 5 of the Kings 9 losses are against these two teams. They are a combined 1 for 33 on PP against them. The Kings have only needed to kill 22 penalties against these teams, less than 5 per game and never more than 6 per game, So it's not like they've taken too many penalties (6 is the league average per game).

The Kings are 15-4-1 in games when they take 7 or fewer penalties. All of these losses obviously against DET and NAS. It's not a good matchup.... thankfully they won't see them again until March.

King Blazer 11-29-2005 10:40 AM

So basically they just need to:

Develop an effective power play
Shuffle the lines
Shore up the defense
Play for the full 60-mins

At least the goaltending seems to be ok...

TubbyTerrion* 11-29-2005 10:48 AM

Overreacting? I think not. Aside from the fact that I think Gleason is going to be a much stronger defenseman overall than he has been showing in the past 5 games, that rant was SPOT THE ******* ON!

Kudos!

(and blame Garon... everyone else does!)

Herby 11-29-2005 10:54 AM

Like others have said, we'll know alot more after the trip ends next Tuesday.

And just to add, looking over the schedule, the Kings have played Detroit, Dallas and Nashville each 3 times, so our schedule hasn't been all that easy.

When this trip ends the Kings have home games against Carolina (slowing down) and 3 pretty bad teams in Washington, Florida, Anaheim (at Pond) and Phoenix before the tough Western Canada swing.

And everyone get ready for January, we play the Ducks 4 times that month.

Maynard 11-29-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV
If we go 4-0 on the road,
- T

LMAO!

dbbourn 11-29-2005 11:38 AM

It is about time that somebody criticizes Luc. You aren't going to solve any 2nd line problems when you add a player that consistently gets beat to pucks and can't keep up with the play. The quicker players are prevailing in this "new NHL" and the Veterans are having trouble keeping up. The Century Line needs to be split up immidiately and it looks like that is what Murray is planning. This is what I would do:

Frolov-Conroy-Demitra - (no brainer)
Brown-Avery-Cammelleri - (these guys will work their tails off)
Cowan-Belanger-Roenick - (best of the rest)
(Manchester Callup)-Armstrong-Kostopolous

Watches: Robitaille