HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Young Rick Nash.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19642)

Mizral 10-13-2003 04:43 PM

Young Rick Nash..
 
.. is beginning to look very much like a veteran Bill Guerin.

Against the Canucks tonight, Nash had the GWG. It wasn't a skilled goal. It bounced off his leg, into the net, off of a Luke Richardson shot from the point.

But you know what? He knew where he was supposed to be tonight. Nash spent much of the game in front of Dan Cloutier and caused chances all over the ice tonight.

Nash had a good year last year, but I saw him today and realized that he has taken a quantum leap, even compared to last year. I think there is an outside chance he could even lead the Jackets in goals this year!

Missionhockey 10-13-2003 04:46 PM

Is he going to change his #? Or will he stay #61 for the rest of his career?

Rabid Ranger 10-13-2003 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
.. is beginning to look very much like a veteran Bill Guerin.

Against the Canucks tonight, Nash had the GWG. It wasn't a skilled goal. It bounced off his leg, into the net, off of a Luke Richardson shot from the point.

But you know what? He knew where he was supposed to be tonight. Nash spent much of the game in front of Dan Cloutier and caused chances all over the ice tonight.

Nash had a good year last year, but I saw him today and realized that he has taken a quantum leap, even compared to last year. I think there is an outside chance he could even lead the Jackets in goals this year!



I'm watching the game and Nash looks great. Guerin is a great comparison. Fast, strong on his skates, and a nice skill set, not to mention a surly temperment. Nash is going to have a nice career. Another young guy that's looking great IMO is Fritsche, Maclean seems to have a lot of confidence in him.

Legionnaire 10-13-2003 04:47 PM

Outside chance? I think his only real competion will be Sanderson.

Nalyd Psycho 10-13-2003 04:49 PM

Last year he was one of those players who was always dangerous but didn't produce as much as he could. He's looking more productive this year and that is a very scary thought.

Burke's Evil Spirit 10-13-2003 04:49 PM

Yeah, Rick Nash is playing much more of a power game than he was last season, has a terrific mean streak, and is willing to take whatever punishment he must to score. Great mentality, and a 30-goal season is not out of the question. Just don't expect many of them to be pretty ones (scored off his ass today ;) )

Ejh18 10-13-2003 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
.. But you know what? He knew where he was supposed to be tonight. Nash spent much of the game in front of Dan Cloutier and caused chances all over the ice tonight.

Nash had a good year last year, but I saw him today and realized that he has taken a quantum leap, even compared to last year. I think there is an outside chance he could even lead the Jackets in goals this year!

Nash has been a horse this year. He has not gotten any assists yet, but he was on the ice for 3 of the 5 goals in the Rangers game the other night. And tonight he was in Cloutiers space all night long...

I think the biggest difference between last year and this is the tale of the tape..

Last year... 6'3 188

This year... 6'4 209

sundinfan13 10-13-2003 05:15 PM

I hope he stays #61 considering I just bought a jersey of his. I think it's kind of cool. When you think #61, Rick Nash pops into mind first. Other number like #19 can relate to Sakic, Thornton, Yzerman, Naslund, and the list goes on. Also does anyone know a good place to buy patches that are pretty cheap. I just found out they are using their new logo as a shoulder patch on their home/road jerseys, and I wanted to get one to put it on.

RDriesen 10-13-2003 05:21 PM

btw he is 6 4 1/2 :) also, if you get a chance watch him behind the net, he is amazing with the puck, absolutely juked jovo with a spin and bank off the back of the net

Jovavic 10-13-2003 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundinfan13
I hope he stays #61 considering I just bought a jersey of his. I think it's kind of cool. When you think #61, Rick Nash pops into mind first. Other number like #19 can relate to Sakic, Thornton, Yzerman, Naslund, and the list goes on. .

Stillman is the only other NHLer I can think of that is #61. It's a pretty unique number and all the good ones have one.

As for as his game goes, yea, it's getting better, but he's got a ways to go. His skating (while worlds better than last season) is average at best. He still seems to try too hard to make the perfect play instead of having the game come to him, but he's still young and will learn that. That move he made against Jovo behind the net in the first was a thing of beauty, though.

TJF 10-13-2003 05:31 PM

He'll stick with number 61, that's the number he wore during his junior career. I believe the story goes that he wanted to wear number 16 but a veteran player on his junior team was already wearing it so the training suggested that he should just reverse the number and wear 61 so he did. It worked for him in junior and so far it's worked in the NHL so I don't see him changing it at all.

jacketracket* 10-13-2003 05:42 PM

Last year Nasher showed flashes of his obvious talent, and the player he can become.

I just got back from tonight's game, and Nash looked impressive. IMO, from start to end, Nash was one of the dominant players on the ice. He's bigger, and looks to be a step quicker.

sundinfan13 10-13-2003 06:19 PM

I'm a big Nash fan and all, but is it just me, or is his skating pretty bad. I can always tell when he gets on the ice, because rather then skating smoothly he pretty much lumbers down the ice all crotched over. He has the good hands, I just think he needs to get his skating a little sharper.

Douggy 10-13-2003 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJF
He'll stick with number 61, that's the number he wore during his junior career. I believe the story goes that he wanted to wear number 16 but a veteran player on his junior team was already wearing it so the training suggested that he should just reverse the number and wear 61 so he did. It worked for him in junior and so far it's worked in the NHL so I don't see him changing it at all.

I thought that he got 61 assigned to him at a Junior training camp and has just stuck with it ever since. :dunno:

Vlad The Impaler 10-13-2003 06:31 PM

I watched the better poart of the two first periods of the game tonight, missed the third.

I was VERY impressed with Nash. He creates things, he uses his size well and he's got great, great hands. I really liked how he got progressively under the skin of opponents tonight.

This guy will be a force in a few years. He could become one of the best power forward in the league. I agree with sundinfan13 (God, do people choose annoyingly bland and utterly pointless handles around here) that his skating needs work. He gets where he needs to go on the ice but his motion is just atrocious. He could be a lot more effective and gain some speed. He'd probably spend less energy going from point A to B than he does right now.

Nash has put some weight and is learning to use it. He's already light years ahead of turds like Taylor Pyatt who wonder around aimlessly and don't use their size. For a 19 years old, he is really impressive.

He will be a key component on this team and I think with his attitude, he could be a great playoffs performer. The difference between him and the other talented big guys coming up in recent years is the attitude. Most of the others have a wussy mindset. Nash has anything but that.

Ejh18 10-14-2003 03:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Douggy
I thought that he got 61 assigned to him at a Junior training camp and has just stuck with it ever since. :dunno:

Nope. I have heard the same story about getting to London and wanting #16, but taking 61 instead.

RedK 10-14-2003 03:41 AM

The replay I saw showed that Nash actually moved his stick to deflect it in. It went in off the blade.

In his game against the Rangers this weekend, he simply couldn't be moved out of the low slot. I don't know how many times he got cross-checked, but he simply didn't move. The 20 lbs. he put on over the last year really showed.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 10-14-2003 04:33 AM

He's looking great so far. He does fall an aweful lot, but man is he looking like a beast.
But still, DM was a fool for trading up to get him (dripping sarcasm).

Vlad The Impaler 10-14-2003 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
He's looking great so far. He does fall an aweful lot, but man is he looking like a beast.
But still, DM was a fool for trading up to get him (dripping sarcasm).

As great as I think Nash is, I would have taken J-Bo then and I would take J-Bo now.

Burke's Evil Spirit 10-14-2003 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
As great as I think Nash is, I would have taken J-Bo then and I would take J-Bo now.

Yeah, but when you're a team that already has Rostislav Klesla and your best offensive prospect is a toss-up between Andrej Nedorost and Joakim Lindstrom, well, you can understand where Doug MacLean is coming from.

Ejh18 10-14-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Yeah, but when you're a team that already has Rostislav Klesla and your best offensive prospect is a toss-up between Andrej Nedorost and Joakim Lindstrom, well, you can understand where Doug MacLean is coming from.

And we didnt even have Lindtstron yet. He was picked in the second round, after nash. Before that it would have had to have been Knopp... :joker:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
As great as I think Nash is, I would have taken J-Bo then and I would take J-Bo now.

Some people seem to forget that Columbus NEVER had a chance at J-Bo. That was part of the deal. We wanted Nash yes, but that doesnt mean we didnt have J-Bo rated higher. Instead we never had a chance at J-Bo, but we didnt want to loose out on Nash by having ATL trading down...

Vlad The Impaler 10-14-2003 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ejh18
Some people seem to forget that Columbus NEVER had a chance at J-Bo. That was part of the deal. We wanted Nash yes, but that doesnt mean we didnt have J-Bo rated higher. Instead we never had a chance at J-Bo, but we didnt want to loose out on Nash by having ATL trading down...

Why even trade for the 1st overall then? Why not trade directly with the Trashers for the second overall?

Everything I have read leads me to believe MacLean was falling head over heels for Rick Nash and rated him the top priority that year. It might be just talk, but it really seems like he was the #1 guy for the BJs.

Evilo 10-14-2003 09:31 AM

I don't think it was a bad deal.
They're both great young players. And with Klesla in Columbus, Nash was more needed.

Ejh18 10-14-2003 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Why even trade for the 1st overall then? Why not trade directly with the Trashers for the second overall?

Everything I have read leads me to believe MacLean was falling head over heels for Rick Nash and rated him the top priority that year. It might be just talk, but it really seems like he was the #1 guy for the BJs.

He might have been. There is no argument from me that DM fell head over heels for Nash, But that doesnt change the fact that we had no shot at J-Bo. That was my point. Even had we wanted J-bo, we agreed not to take him. That was the condition of the trade.

And it worked out well for us to trade w/ Florida. Maybe Atl was asking too much, and the deal with Florida ended up costing us nothing, and actually cost Florida a few draft picks...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 10-14-2003 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
As great as I think Nash is, I would have taken J-Bo then and I would take J-Bo now.

No doubt J-Bo will be a great player, but Nash was needed more by the CBJ than J-Bo.
My frustration with the whole trade situation was people who thought Dudley was a genius and MacLean was an idiot. Sure, it was a worthy gamble by Dudley that Columbus would be worse, but CBJ got one of the clear top 4 in a thin draft (and a guy they desperately needed) at the risk of slipping the following year in a deep draft. CBJ don't move to 1 and a team like Washington trades up for Nash if ATL doesn't pick him.
Ultimately, Dudley gave up draft picks for a guy who could have picked at no cost. Columbus gave up nothing for Nash.

BTW, love the avatar Vlad. Always makes me laugh.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.