HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Is Grebeshkov ready yet (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=196760)

pickell 12-01-2005 11:12 PM

Is Grebeshkov ready yet

How soon until Grebeshkov is NHL ready.

Osprey 12-01-2005 11:16 PM

Paging King Blazer and MrKen. Call for you at the front desk.

Psst... brace yourself for a couple of rants, pickell.

Reaper45 12-01-2005 11:20 PM

Seriously, why sin't he up here? I'd rather him be taking his lumps and learning in the NHL than having him down in the AHL frustrating Monarchs fans.

I'd rather have him in then Dempsey, Corvo or Weaver on certain nights.

kingsfan25 12-01-2005 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
Seriously, why sin't he up here? I'd rather him be taking his lumps and learning in the NHL than having him down in the AHL frustrating Monarchs fans.

If we're going to call a D-man up, I want it to be Petiot.

Reaper45 12-01-2005 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan25
If we're going to call a D-man up, I want it to be Petiot.

I like Petiot a lot, but I want him to get a year in Manchester, Grebs already has two.

ILuvLA 12-02-2005 12:22 AM

Quote:

I like Petiot a lot, but I want him to get a year in Manchester, Grebs already has two.

Let me play devils advocate here. Grebs has 2 years in Manchester, Petiot is working on his first. IF Petiot is playiing better, why not bump him before Grebs? I understand that we don't want to rush someone along, but if he's better at the time he's needed, why not?

Reaper45 12-02-2005 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuvLA
Let me play devils advocate here. Grebs has 2 years in Manchester, Petiot is working on his first. IF Petiot is playiing better, why not bump him before Grebs? I understand that we don't want to rush someone along, but if he's better at the time he's needed, why not?

I know what you mean, I'm just saying I'd rather have Grebs up here instead of Weaver and Corvo.

ILuvLA 12-02-2005 12:34 AM

Quote:

I know what you mean, I'm just saying I'd rather have Grebs up here instead of Weaver and Corvo.

Ok. Now I get it.

Osprey 12-02-2005 12:35 AM

Quote:

Replace Corvo with Grebeshkov. We've seen how AM can make All-Stars out of awful defensemen simply by pairing them with Visnovsky and putting them on the ice whenever the top line is out. Why can't the same work for Grebeshkov? Why are late-round defensemen who are almost 30 the only ones the Kings let work through their awfulness and improve on-the-job? At least Grebeshkov's a bona-fide prospect with loads of potential, unlike UFA-to-be Corvo. Things to make you go 'hmm'...

ILuvLA 12-02-2005 12:43 AM

Hmmmm.... :)

agentfouser 12-02-2005 12:54 AM

i think dempsey is one i would drop, before weaver or corvo. either petiot or grebeshkov instead of dempsey actually sounds pretty good to me.

Reaper45 12-02-2005 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey
Replace Corvo with Grebeshkov. We've seen how AM can make All-Stars out of awful defensemen simply by pairing them with Visnovsky and putting them on the ice whenever the top line is out. Why can't the same work for Grebeshkov? Why are late-round defensemen who are almost 30 the only ones the Kings let work through their awfulness and improve on-the-job? At least Grebeshkov's a bona-fide prospect with loads of potential, unlike UFA-to-be Corvo. Things to make you go 'hmm'...

I agree. I bet Grebs will take the body more, will shoot more, and give the puck up less, I know I know Manchester fans, than Corvo.

GoneFullHextall 12-02-2005 02:59 AM

not even close to NHL ready IMO. In fact I would say he has regressed since last year. he still has no confidence with the puck, looks at times disinterested and lackidasial out on the ice, refuses to take the body at all and now has been taking bad penalties.
He just is not going to get it in this organization period. Believe me I was real patient with him last year when some fans were ready to let this guy walk the perverbial plank. But not now. If it were up to me and obviously it isnt i would sent his butt to Reading or Bakersfield.

Johnny Utah 12-02-2005 03:02 AM

Scouts have always ranked Grebeshkov ahead of Cammy, Brown, and Gleason in terms of there prospects and year after year the guy does little to impress. I have heard he also regressed. He did nothing special in the pre-season and I'm beginning to wonder why people had him ranked so high.

Bottom line is the Kings do need a #6 D man. Dempsey and Weaver are not gonna take us into the playoffs.

nikolai19 12-02-2005 03:15 AM

I too think he should be thrown into the fire. Corvo has been okay this year, nothing more than a 5th or 6th defenseman who we all knew he would be, but I think Grebeshkov should come up. I think he was expecting to be in LA and when he wasn't it probably killed his confidence. Again, though, at this point, he's probably better than Dempsey and Weaver.

Osprey 12-02-2005 03:29 AM

Remember that Grebeshkov came close to making the Kings out of training camp this year. The organization was very high on him making the team. I think that that's enough reason to think that he still has more than a shot at making the Kings eventually. Besides, I don't think that the Kings will give up on a 1st-round defenseman until he's been given more of a chance at the NHL level. Until there's a defensive prospect with more potential in the system, the team will continue pinning their hopes on Denis.

nikolai19 12-02-2005 03:34 AM

There is no reason he or Petiot should not be playing in LA ahead of Weaver or Dempsey. We have 5 defenseman that are doing their job this season. The 6th guy, whether it is Weaver or Dempsey has not gotten the job done. Worse case scenario is that Grebs and Petiot are awful. Best case scenario is that management finally figures out that we need another defenseman because all 4 guys are incompetent of doing the job.

Osprey 12-02-2005 03:57 AM

I agree, nikolai. My main beef for years when it came to Modry was that he was stinking it up when the Kings could've had a much younger player doing the stinking up, instead. It's always the close-to-age-30 players that AM chooses to fill holes with, instead, and which DT is happy enough with to not replace. I understand that poor drafting forces the coaches' hands a little, but there are other options, IMO.

Albi 12-02-2005 05:21 AM

Is Grebeshkov ready...FOR WHAT?

ReggieMoto 12-02-2005 07:35 AM

Instead of constantly asking this question (and having it answered with the same answer) over and over again, why don't you take a little of your beer money and purchase a watch on the B2 network? You're either not reading what's being posted about him, or you're in denial about what you're hearing. So watch for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Monarchs face Hartford tonight at 7:30pm EST (4:30pm PST). There are also games Saturday and Sunday. Check him out for yourselves.

ReggieMoto 12-02-2005 07:38 AM

Quote:

No you wouldn't. He isn't anything near the player they are. You guys *****, moan and complain when Corvo does this or Corvo does that. Grebs does all that and more and he's playing in a lesser league! What do you think he's going to do for you on NHL ice? Be an improved player? Is that why the Kings coaching staff keeps sending him back to Manchester year after year, and never calls him up? Because he's better than these guys?

Kick 12-02-2005 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey
Paging King Blazer and MrKen. Call for you at the front desk.

Psst... brace yourself for a couple of rants, pickell.

Nope, no ranting from me on Grebs any more. All I'll say is he is not ready for the NHL at this point in time. If the Kings needed to call up a D-man, then Petiot should be the one.

hockeynutz 12-02-2005 07:41 AM

once grebs gets his head out of his a$$, he might be close to being NHL ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper
I bet Grebs will take the body more, will shoot more, and give the puck up less, I know I know Manchester fans, than Corvo.

in what universe? Grebs has moments where he looks awesome, and others where i'd rather see the team on a PK than have him on the ice.

reggie's right - spent the $6 on a B2 broadcast where you see for yourselves. it's obvious to me that nothing KB, MrKen, Reggie or I say about him will convince you that he sucks.

Hollywood 12-02-2005 07:43 AM

How can you all rip on Dempsey when he is not getting much time? I can see if he wasn't playing well, however, he is hardly playing so...what gives? I think Dempsey should be in the line up every night. He makes less mistakes than someone like Corvo and he is good at making that first pass out of the zone. Positionally he is better than most of the Kings men as he doesn't get caught much but can hop into the rush on a breakout and be effective on the powerplay and is a good penalty killer.
Andy give Dempsey more time and if he doesn't take the bull by the horns then get of him. I watched the Maple Leafs use Dempsey in the minors for years and years and he was phenomenal as an AHL defenceman and did well his first few years in the NHL. Give him some more chances and he will produce.
To the thread, I do love grebs but he isn't ready yet.

King Blazer 12-02-2005 08:01 AM

Local restaurants here in the Manchester area have started offering Denis Grebeshkovs on their desert menus. They're similar to a turnover but much softer. Unfortunately, they're usually burnt...

He sees a boat load of time on the PP and matched with the Monarchs top offensive lines. His numbers are good. Not quite as good as Tomas Zizka's when he was a Monarch...

LAHobo on LGK:

Anything is possilble I guess. I've watched alot of Monarchs this year (damn B2 is costing me a fortune). As dano described, Grebs is horribly soft and is prone to ridiculous turnovers. Sure it is possible that he'll come around, but what worries me is that he doesn't seem to be making any progress. At that age he should be improving by leaps and bounds.

Regarding his stats, he gets huge power play minutes on the point with a team loaded with offensive firepower. Under that scenario, it's almost impossible not to rack up the points. Also, he doesn't seem to have any kind of point shot.

My guess is that he doesn't see any action with the Kings this year and decides to head back to Russia next year. Then, maybe 3-4 years later he'll be ready to try again.

link: this post was lost when LGK crashed to other day...

link to original post: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4041548&postcount=9

edit: About two weeks ago, Grebs was scratched for one game. Many folks think/thought is was due to his play. FWIW, I recently overheard a conversation between a couple of Monarchs personnel regarding his knee.

Additionally, we don't know if Grebeshkov is subject to re-entry waivers or not.