HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mike Richards vs. Thomas Vanek (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=197497)

markzab 12-03-2005 03:42 PM

Mike Richards vs. Thomas Vanek

Hey guys, I was just pondering this thought and wanted your opinions. If it were up to you, would you trade Mike Richards straight up for Thomas Vanek? I'm just imagining Vanek on the wing with Gagne and Forsberg...scary. Or even Vanek on the 2nd line with Carter centering next year (I think by that time Carter will have moved up to 2nd line center).

This isn't a trade proposal or anything like that. Just wondering what your take on this is and also who has more potential in your eyes?

Liquidrage* 12-03-2005 03:54 PM

No. With Gagne and Carter being very young, we have the potential for two guys that are better then Vanek at what Vanek is best at.

With Richards we have a guy that does every little thing a coach could want, and that has great vision and passing.

For the young guys we have and the team we have, Richards is a better fit regardless of who people think is better overall.

markzab 12-03-2005 04:00 PM

You think Carter has a better goal scoring potential than Vanek? I don't know. From what I've "read", it seems that Vanek is slated to be a great offensive winger. I agree that Carter will be great, but you have to wonder why he was chosen 11th and Vanek 5th.

I agree that Richards is a great fit for the team, but when Forsberg leaves town, you'll have Carter centering Gagne and who will be the scoring winger on Richards 2nd line then?

MojoJojo 12-03-2005 04:02 PM

I would do that trade. Vanek could be that winger that would put up huge numbers on the Forsberg-Gagne line. Basically higher offensive potential vs a better rounded player with great intangibles.

Liquidrage* 12-03-2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markzab79
You think Carter has a better goal scoring potential than Vanek? I don't know. From what I've "read", it seems that Vanek is slated to be a great offensive winger. I agree that Carter will be great, but you have to wonder why he was chosen 11th and Vanek 5th.

That draft was 2 and years ago now. Vanek has done nothing to hurt his position. Carter certainly has raised his stock a lot since then.

Carter, in the NHL, is averaging a point for every minute played just behind Crosby's production and ahead of Ovechkin. And that's without special linemates and without a lot of PP time.

While some might argue it, I'd say Carter is better then Vanek.

Quote:

I agree that Richards is a great fit for the team, but when Forsberg leaves town, you'll have Carter centering Gagne and who will be the scoring winger on Richards 2nd line then?
I actually see Carter as a future winger, not center. But if he does play center, he is still a scorer first, passer second. Richards is a natural passer. Better fit. Richards is the type of player that Philly loves.

MountainHawk 12-03-2005 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidrage

Carter, in the NHL, is averaging a point for every minute played

Most people settle for a point per game. :amazed: :bow: ;)

markzab 12-03-2005 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidrage
Richards is the type of player that Philly loves.

Agreed. But the player who would bring us closer to the cup is the player I'd love just a bit more. ;)

I understand what your saying completely, but I'd have to pull then trigger on this one if somehow it came up in talks.

Dig Out Your Soul 12-03-2005 05:00 PM

Quote:

Agreed. But the player who would bring us closer to the cup is the player I'd love just a bit more. ;)

I understand what your saying completely, but I'd have to pull then trigger on this one if somehow it came up in talks.

Richards will get us there. Maybe not be scoring all the goals playing alongside Forsberg, but he's the kind of guy who sets the examples and will take a team on his back when it really counts. It would be tough for me to trade Richards for just about anyone at this point having watched him for so many years in junior and knowing exactly what he's capable of.

markzab 12-03-2005 07:51 PM

Wanted to bump this up to get opinions from a lot of the regulars that will be on tonight for the game.

lynchmob450 12-03-2005 08:29 PM

Quote:

But the player who would bring us closer to the cup is the player I'd love just a bit more. ;)

If you think Vanek will bring you closer to the cup than Richards, you're dreaming (meant with respect).

The type of players that make the difference between victory and defeat are those willing to scarifice their bodies...Richards is that type of player.

Pantokrator 12-03-2005 10:37 PM

I like Richards just because he seems like more of a sure commodity. You know he has great character, you know he has good hockey sense, a good defensive ability. WHile his scoring ability is not what Vanek's is, I like the assurance of his play. That is not to say that Vanek might not be the better player in the long run, but I think Richards brings too many intangibles that benefit a team that I am not sure Vanek does (out of ignorance...I really don't know a ton about Vanek other than his goal scoring ability).

markzab 12-04-2005 02:21 AM

Ok, I wasn't completely honest when I posted. I said it wasn't a trade proposal, but this was actually a trade I made today in a keeper league I am in. I made this post on the fantasy boards but all my fellow Philly people are here and I wanted your opinions on the players in general.

I agree that in a TEAM sense Richards might be the more valuable all around player, but in a fantasy sense I'm not necessarily looking for those qualities. I love the kid so far, but earlier in the year I was able to acquire Carter so I still have a hometown star in him. I was only going to keep Carter and Horton in terms of rookies so I was looking to deal Richards.

I think the player potential in this trade falls much more into my favor. I saw it as a good center, but one who is forced to play with 2nd-3rd line talent next year vs. a first line winger. Richards will be more of an assist guy (I can get assists off other guys) while Vanek more of a goal scorer. That's really why I pulled the trigger on it.