HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Most important person in Rangers Success (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19789)

John Flyers Fan 10-14-2003 10:42 AM

Most important person in Rangers Success

Which person will have the biggest part in the success/failure of the Rangers this season ??

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-14-2003 10:44 AM

Lindros.

Bure9* 10-14-2003 10:45 AM

They have to play like a team, no one person will turn this miserable team around. I voted for Sather, he's gotta get the message of "team" into the player's thick skulls.

Barnaby 10-14-2003 10:46 AM

E-train

Melrose_Jr. 10-14-2003 10:51 AM

You watch this teaam and it's clear that the countless problems just can't be solved by any one person. If they don't start playing as a team, they simply won't win, and only Sather is in a position to get the group on the same page.

True Blue 10-14-2003 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
and only Sather is in a position to get the group on the same page.

Exactly

John Flyers Fan 10-14-2003 11:21 AM

I also agree that the coach is the most important, as the team has more than enough talent to make the playoffs.

On the ice, Leetch has been the most important and continues to be that guy. If he doesn't play 70 games I don't see the Rangers making the playoffs.

#37-#93-#27* 10-14-2003 12:28 PM

Kovalev.

I think if Kovalev, our best player, gets going, the entire team will start rolling.

The only time we've been successful in recent years was in the first half of the 2002 season when we had a true first line. With Lindros scoring, the rest of the team was rolling, the FLY line was the reason for it. Another example was when we got Bure at the end of that same season. That was the only other time we really ever had a first line and you all should remember how good we did in that short time.

Kodiak 10-14-2003 12:58 PM

I don't think you can even begin to compare the impact a single player can have on a team with the impact a head coach or GM can have on a team, let alone a coach/GM. No one player can do a damn thing with this team, but it could turn around in a hurry if Sather removes his head from his ass.

#37-#93-#27* 10-14-2003 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodiak
I don't think you can even begin to compare the impact a single player can have on a team with the impact a head coach or GM can have on a team, let alone a coach/GM. No one player can do a damn thing with this team, but it could turn around in a hurry if Sather removes his head from his ass.

Reyes-Mets
Pennington-Jets

That sure did a lot.

John Flyers Fan 10-14-2003 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Reyes-Mets
Pennington-Jets

That sure did a lot.

Pennington did, but QB for a football team is far different than any hockey position except perhaps for goalie,

With or without Reyes the Mets sucked all year.

#37-#93-#27* 10-14-2003 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Pennington did, but QB for a football team is far different than any hockey position except perhaps for goalie,

With or without Reyes the Mets sucked all year.

I assume you didn't watch the Mets so I won't put much stock into what you say for Reyes. With Reyes mets were a +.500 team. With Reyes, Piazza, Floyd, Phillips, everyone hit and he was the spark plug.

As for Pennington, football might not be the best comparison but explain to me how Bure, Lindros the FLY line once they all worked, why did the rest of the team seem to work and once they all died the team died with them.

Brooklyn Ranger 10-14-2003 07:26 PM

Jackass himself. The fish rots from the head down.

Ranger Wolf 10-15-2003 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I assume you didn't watch the Mets so I won't put much stock into what you say for Reyes. With Reyes mets were a +.500 team. With Reyes, Piazza, Floyd, Phillips, everyone hit and he was the spark plug.

As for Pennington, football might not be the best comparison but explain to me how Bure, Lindros the FLY line once they all worked, why did the rest of the team seem to work and once they all died the team died with them.

Sorry, I don't buy this. In nearly all the other major sports, any one player can stand up and be the difference in a game. Basketball is the most individualized sport. I would say football and baseball are next and about even only because in baseball, the player with the most influence only plays every 5 games. In hockey, only one on ice player can make the difference, the goalie. We've seen how well our superstars (Gretzky, Lemieux) have done when they have no decent talent and chemistry to work with.

The Rangers need balanced contributions from many of their skaters, players fitting into proper roles, playing like a team, and a goalie that will steal games when the team is not playing well. Until that happens, this team will continue to be unbearable to watch or listen to.