HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How injuries will influence Flyers cap space?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=198024)

greatwhite101* 12-05-2005 10:24 AM

How injuries will influence Flyers cap space??

Kapanen missed more then 10 games
Primeau missed more then 10 games.
Stevenson missed more then 10 games.
I do not think Desjardins missed 10 games did he? More like 7-8 so we canít count him.
I do not want to say it but if Forsberg will miss 6 more games which is possible because groin injuries are tricky sometimes, how all of these injuries going to influence our cap space?
Will Umberger and Savage contracts paid off in full which means when Primeau and Forsberg come back Umberger will be allowed to stay? I am not sure.
Any ideas? How does it work?
Will it make sense to get some one off waivers? For instance, some one like Huselious(spelling) who is already claimed but maybe there will be more players?

Art Vandelay 12-05-2005 10:37 AM

The players still get paid whether they are injured or not, hence no cap relief for just having players injured.

The exception is if a team that is close or at the cap suffer a long term injury they can go over the cap temporarily by replacing the injured players salary with a replacement player. However when the injured player comes back the team must immediately come back under the cap.

A good example of this is the Devils where Mogilny has replaced Elias.

The Flyers could right now bring in a replacement player for Primeau that's worth around 3 million.

MojoJojo 12-05-2005 11:24 AM

That is my understanding of the rule as well. However, the question I have is about the trade deadline and available cap space. I've heard that the cap space available at the deadline is the total amount of salary paid out per year. Ie. if we were slated to pay 38 mil in salary for the year by the deadline, we would have 1 mil left which could get us a 4 milion dollar per year player for the remainder of the regular season. If so, while we are able to go over the cap temporarily, doesnt bringing in a replacement just eat away at the room we have available at the deadline?

Art Vandelay 12-05-2005 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
That is my understanding of the rule as well. However, the question I have is about the trade deadline and available cap space. I've heard that the cap space available at the deadline is the total amount of salary paid out per year. Ie. if we were slated to pay 38 mil in salary for the year by the deadline, we would have 1 mil left which could get us a 4 milion dollar per year player for the remainder of the regular season. If so, while we are able to go over the cap temporarily, doesnt bringing in a replacement just eat away at the room we have available at the deadline?

My guess is no, the cap relief a team close to the cap can get if they replace a long term injured player doesnt "eat away" at the cap space.

The problem is that a team that choose to use this clause must come back under the cap when the injured player comes back, which can lead to some loopsided trades or putting valuable players on waivers.

NJ is (once again) a good example of this, they are right now probably at 38-39 million, when Elias comes back they have to make room = potential huge problems.

greatwhite101* 12-05-2005 12:03 PM

Well my main question was... Umbergers contract, will it be paid off or will Flyers have to send him down when everyone is back and healthy. (if ever)

BobbyClarkeFan16 12-05-2005 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUS
Well my main question was... Umbergers contract, will it be paid off or will Flyers have to send him down when everyone is back and healthy. (if ever)

I think you'll see the Flyers move bit players like Savage, Seidenberg, etc....before they put Umberger back to the minors.

I honestly don't think you'll see Primeau back until the playoffs. By then, players salaries are all paid up and we won't be in any cap trouble. I suppose you can say that that's the way to work around the salary cap if you're in trouble. Deactivate a player or send them to the minors, call them towards the end of the season or reactivate them towards the end (cap hit will be minimal) and then enjoy a great playoff run.

I'm sure that there's probably some kind of mechanism in place in the CBA to prevent that, but if not, it wouldn't surprise me to see teams start taking advantage of that.

Art Vandelay 12-05-2005 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUS

That's up to Clarke, there is enough cap space to keep him with the team, but i would rather see him get 1st line minutes with the Phantoms then by the 12th/13th forward with the Flyers.

Rails 12-05-2005 12:55 PM

I thought players on the IR didn't count against the cap.

MojoJojo 12-05-2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rails
I thought players on the IR didn't count against the cap.

Not exactly. Someone was able to post the supposed actual language from the CBA on this subject before the season started. ItSaid nothing about the injured players salary not counting towards the cap, just that you could temporarily exceed the cap with a player making up to the salary of the guy on IR

High Flyer 12-05-2005 02:54 PM

Here it is...again

CLUB PAYROLLS

What will be the range of Club payrolls?

The payroll range in Year One (2005-06) of the CBA will be $21.5 million (U.S.) at the lower limit and $39 million (U.S.) at the upper limit. A Club's payroll will include all salaries, signing bonuses and performance bonuses paid to players. Except in the case of bona fide long-term injury (injuries that sideline a player for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games) to one or more of a club's players, Club payrolls will never be permitted to be below the minimum or in excess of the maximum. Clubs at or near the upper limit that have players who incur a bona fide long-term injury will be entitled to replace up to the full value of the injured player's NHL salary (even if such salary would result in the club's team salary exceeding the upper limit). The "replacement salary" will not count against the club's upper limit but will count against the League-wide players' share. Upon return of the injured player, the team must come into immediate compliance with the requirements of the payroll range.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/index.html

So the flyers will have to dump salary or send players back to the ahl after everyone gets back...if everyone gets back