HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Montreal fans sheep? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19843)

Lanny MacDonald* 10-14-2003 02:50 PM

Montreal fans sheep?

Patrice Brisebois was soundly booed during the pre-season, which drew the ire of GM Bob Gainey. During the introductions of tonight's season opener the fans gave Brisebois a lengthy standing ovation. Does anyone else think its pathetic when the fans follow what ever their GM has to say and cheer a player that they've had a hate-hate relationship with for the past two seasons?

Ryno 10-14-2003 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
Patrice Brisebois was soundly booed during the pre-season, which drew the ire of GM Bob Gainey. During the introductions of tonight's season opener the fans gave Brisebois a lengthy standing ovation. Does anyone else think its pathetic when the fans follow what ever their GM has to say and cheer a player that they've had a hate-hate relationship with for the past two seasons?

Don't you think it would have been sarcastic? You know, the way fans cheer their goalie if he finally stops a shot after letting the first three by him?

Lanny MacDonald* 10-14-2003 02:56 PM

You can tell the difference between the two, and there was no sarcasm involved. I would be embarassed. Where's the conviction of those fans that were booing him?

Lowetide 10-14-2003 02:58 PM

No, I think it's great. Edmonton fans do this from time to time as well, boo a guy from the home team. I don't mind hearing boos when the pp is bad, or the team looks terrible for an extended period.

But the booing of Tom Poti in Edmonton was shameful. There's no excuse, not a holdout, or a bad shift or even a bad season for a team's fans to boo a player everytime he touches the puck.

It's a mob mentality, it's bad form PLUS it hurts the town team so it's stupid on top of it.

Bad sportsmanship if you ask me, so good for Gainey and good for the fans who cheered him.

Ryno 10-14-2003 02:59 PM

Quote:

You can tell the difference between the two, and there was no sarcasm involved. I would be embarassed. Where's the conviction of those fans that were booing him?

Yeah, I didn't see the game, so I had no idea it was genuine. In that case, I agree with you. To stop booing is one thing, but to give the guy a standing ovations is ridiculous.

Vlad The Impaler 10-14-2003 03:01 PM

Quote:

They never had any. They were sheeps and morons to begin with.

oilers_guy_eddie 10-14-2003 03:02 PM

Hab fans have been saying that it's a small minority that boo Breezeboy (ANGLOS, at that!) ... so it might be a case of indifferent fans getting loud to show up the ones that boo.

Psycho Papa Joe 10-14-2003 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Hab fans have been saying that it's a small minority that boo Breezeboy (ANGLOS, at that!) ... so it might be a case of indifferent fans getting loud to show up the ones that boo.

Methinks you hit the nail on the head. Too bad Lanny can't see common sense. Either that, or this is an obvious sad attempt at trolling. Lanny would never do that would he :rolleyes:

Patty Roy 10-14-2003 03:13 PM

Quote:

:rolleyes:

If you've been to some games recently at the Bell Center you would know that its only a minority (albeit a vocal one) who were booing Brisebois the past few years (particularly last season).

Gainey's comments brought attention to the situation, so the fans who would normally stay silent decided to give Brisebois an extra cheer. What's the big deal Lanny, really?

Is this another attempt at trolling like that post on the prospect board a few months back? It sure looks like it...

Burke's Evil Spirit 10-14-2003 03:15 PM

Yeah, pretty pathetic attempt at trolling here. It was always a vocal minority that booed Brisebois, and this is just fans responding to Gainey's criticism of them.

(and Vlad, the plural of "sheep" is "sheep", not "sheeps")

paul99 10-14-2003 03:33 PM

Quote:

Sorry Lanny. You go the wrong way. Really. I have attended many many games last years in Montreal and boo came from few dozens of what some people call fans. Gainey just showed that he was with his players. We have not seen that since Serge Savard. Tonight, people in Bell Centre just wanted to show that they appreciated the move from Gainey and that they got sick with the behavior demonstrated by some others.

Vlad The Impaler 10-14-2003 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
(and Vlad, the plural of "sheep" is "sheep", not "sheeps")

Pfffff, I knew that!!! :madfire:

Huh, wait. I didn't :D

Thanks, Burkie!

Lanny MacDonald* 10-14-2003 04:19 PM

Trolling my ass. It was a very straight forward point and one that I am sure is going to be questioned in tomorrow's press. I was shocked when I saw the introductions. I expected a warm reception, but a lengthy standing ovation, one larger than the injured Koivu got? What a load of ********. The hypocracy is incredible. One week he's all that is wrong with the team, the next he's getting a resounding standing ovation. Why? Because the GM of the hockey team spouts off in the press about how the fans treat a player. Yeah, makes all the sense in the world.

Histrion 10-14-2003 04:25 PM

Because it was only a minority that was booing, and the other felt guilty to not being defending Brisebois all that time, so tonight, they took the occasion they had to make him know it. Gainey just threw into the face of the fans that they were doing nothing to make the boo-birds shut up, and they finally responded, that's it.

Lanny MacDonald* 10-14-2003 04:33 PM

So the story is that it was a vocal minority that were booing Brisebois and were responsible for all the troubles? Mean while all the "regular" fans idly sat by and did and said nothing in defense of Brisebois? Okay, I'll buy that. Still seems hypocritical to give the guy a standing ovation.

Patty Roy 10-14-2003 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesome`
Because it was only a minority that was booing, and the other felt guilty to not being defending Brisebois all that time, so tonight, they took the occasion they had to make him know it. Gainey just threw into the face of the fans that they were doing nothing to make the boo-birds shut up, and they finally responded, that's it.

That's exactly right awesome. It's not really that difficult to understand, is it?

Psycho Papa Joe 10-14-2003 04:35 PM

Quote:

Trolling my ass. It was a very straight forward point and one that I am sure is going to be questioned in tomorrow's press. I was shocked when I saw the introductions. I expected a warm reception, but a lengthy standing ovation, one larger than the injured Koivu got? What a load of ********. The hypocracy is incredible. One week he's all that is wrong with the team, the next he's getting a resounding standing ovation. Why? Because the GM of the hockey team spouts off in the press about how the fans treat a player. Yeah, makes all the sense in the world.

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Montreal fans bad. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

You troll? Never :rolleyes:

incawg 10-14-2003 04:40 PM

Quote:

So the story is that it was a vocal minority that were booing Brisebois and were responsible for all the troubles? Mean while all the "regular" fans idly sat by and did and said nothing in defense of Brisebois? Okay, I'll buy that. Still seems hypocritical to give the guy a standing ovation.

Seems to me that you're pursuing a lost cause. There's no hypocrisy.

Oilers Hockey 10-14-2003 04:46 PM

Of all the fans in the NHL Habs are the most passionate and dedicated fans I have ever seen.

I wish other fans would look to them and emulate them for how to be a great fan. Montreal is a hard city to play in, but when the teams wins thats the best place to play.

If you win a game for the Habs you are a God in Montreal. Other places have a tiny paragraph about the game on Page 63 in the newspaper.

Vive la Quebec!

Histrion 10-14-2003 04:58 PM

Yeah, that win tonight (5-1 in the end of the 3rd) will definitly make the frontpage of the major newspaper tomorrow.

Bud The Spud* 10-14-2003 04:58 PM

People are constantly bashing Habs fans. The fans who boo are a minority. I think Habs fans are among the best in the league and very dedicated. So, stop bashing Habs fans!

CHareth 10-14-2003 05:03 PM

Quote:

Montreal fans sheep?

Lanny the poster a troll?

SopelFan* 10-14-2003 05:05 PM

I don't think so. It was a few boobirds who gave the fans the reputation. I think people were just telling Patrice that they cared and it was only a few boobirds... not everyone.

Les Zarbites 10-14-2003 05:17 PM

We should just ignore this ridiculous thread and let it go away ... I'm sure Lanny will be glad to see it gone ! Let's show some compassion for the ol' man !

KOMO_ROCKS 10-14-2003 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Roy
:rolleyes:

If you've been to some games recently at the Bell Center you would know that its only a minority (albeit a vocal one) who were booing Brisebois the past few years (particularly last season).

Gainey's comments brought attention to the situation, so the fans who would normally stay silent decided to give Brisebois an extra cheer. What's the big deal Lanny, really?

Is this another attempt at trolling like that post on the prospect board a few months back? It sure looks like it...

Patty, you hit the nail on the head.....I am happy with the fans response to Breezer...shows some class on part of the fans.....it also show huge respect for Gainey