HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   GM visits the Garden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=198600)

Game Misconduct 12-06-2005 06:00 PM

GM visits the Garden

I'm in NY on business, so I went to the Rangers game last night against Minnesota. Thought I'd share a few thoughts:

1. Martin Straka looks like the player we thought we were getting a couple of years ago. Great speed, very skilled, gritty for a little guy. Sure, he's playing with Jagr, but he made some very nice moves and made me wonder what happened when he was in LA. (I can already feel the AM-bashers moving in!)

2. They have a really nice diamond-in-the-rough rookie named Prucha. Liked what I saw from him.

3. Based solely on what I heard from adjacent fans, the average hockey IQ of Ranger Fan is generally higher than that of King Fan. Not surprising given that there is natural ice in NY, and not in LA. :)

4. We are lucky to have Staples Center. The Garden is a nice place, I guess, but it definitely is an older building and you can really tell the difference when you're used to a new one. The seats are less comfortable, the lights/sounds/scoreboard are more antiquated, and the overall presentation of the game is not as well orchestrated. They basically have an organ and a goofy song they play after every goal. (I imagine the title is "Goal," lol). We should count our blessings.

5. We are so used to our team that we forget how entertaining it is. These teams did not skate hard like the Kings always do. They were not hitting like the Kings almost always do. The energy just wasn't there. I think teams always have to come up to our energy level when they play us, so we think hockey is always this way. I'm not sure that is the case. I've gone to other road games we didn't play in, and I think we have a special team in that limited sense. Whatever's AM's flaws, getting the team to play really hard, physical hockey most of the time is not one of them. That's his greatest strength. (It also might be part of the reason we've had injury problems.)

6. The Rangers are a bunch of ***** Euros with visors. They'll fade soon. :amazed:

[edited to add 7.] Roloson was awesome. Without him, it would have been like 6-1 instead of 3-1 (which included an empty netter).

Old Hickory 12-06-2005 06:04 PM

Have a fun rest of the trip GM!

Osprey 12-06-2005 06:31 PM

I watched that game. One thing that struck me was how many times I saw a player ask for the pass by tapping his stick on the ice. Did you see that, too, GM? Granted, many of those times were just Jagr, but it got me thinking that that's something you never see any of the Kings do. No one on the Kings actually wants the puck. That's a problem, IMO.

Game Misconduct 12-06-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey
I watched that game. One thing that struck me was how many times I saw a player ask for the pass by tapping his stick on the ice. Did you see that, too, GM? Granted, many of those times were just Jagr, but it got me thinking that that's something you never see any of the Kings do. No one on the Kings actually wants the puck. That's a problem, IMO.

They skate, they pass, they shoot. They don't hit or fight. They are Czech. :biglaugh:

Reaper45 12-06-2005 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
They skate, they pass, they shoot. They don't hit or fight. They are Czech. :biglaugh:

Like we were a couple seasons ago, Team Slovakia West.

Legionnaire 12-06-2005 07:18 PM

As far as number two goes, yes. Hockey has been the "it" winter sport for sometime. The Knicks have sucked, and not won anything since the 70's. It's been a contant battle here in LA against the Lakers. They're the it show, and almost always have been. That's soon to change though :D

roenick66 12-07-2005 05:05 PM

I can do one better then you GM. I once saw the Kings (with Gretzky) play in the MSG against the Rangers. It was a blast! I even had to endure the funniest lines I have ever heard, from a Rangers fan. The Kings ended up losing the game 3-1 if I remember right. There was a group of us sitting in the last row of one of the sections. In front of us were a group of women who were obviously Rangers fans. The two groups got to talking to one another but not all the Ranger's women knew we were from Cali. After the last goal by the Rangers one of these "women" (I use the term loosely considering her potty mouth) let loose a barrage of insults on the Kings and Gretz (wonder if she knew she would be rooting for him one day??) that would have made a sailor blush. One of the girls tells her, "hey the whole row behind us is Kings fans who flew in from LA for the game." She thinks about this and then says one of the funniest things I have ever heard:

"SUCCAHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!"

We were all cracking up!

Now regarding your trip, you didn't like MSG? Man I loved that place! What atmosphere and fun. And the next day, while in the city, we were able to take a tour of the place including the Rangers dressing room (Messier, Leetch, Graves and Richter were with them then). That was a blast and that arena is one of the best I have ever been in and I have been in quite a few. NY is one of the only cities in the NHL that deserves a winning team as those fans are like none other.

Glad you got to see a game on the road. I always try to schedule business trips around opportunities to see the local sports teams.

Game Misconduct 12-08-2005 08:35 AM

I liked the Garden. My point is just that it's an older arena. New isn't always better, but it usually is.

The mitchrock 12-08-2005 10:54 AM

Suprised you stayed awake. When I lived in NY, NY Rangers always bored me to sleep. You should go to Long Island and catch the Isles.