HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ben Eager (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=198877)

i am dave 12-07-2005 03:07 PM

Ben Eager

I am loving me some Ben Eager. So far this guy has impressed me with his efforts on the ice. I have a good feeling about this guy. Any takers? Who wants in early on the Ben Eager Caravan?

Brad* 12-07-2005 03:11 PM

He can be a good 4th liner. He hits hard, can skate pretty well, and plays with a lot of effort. With that said, I don't think he has much upside. At least not in terms of offensive production.

stanley 12-07-2005 03:36 PM

He can skate and the effort's there. Unfortunately, he might have thought they said "bands" or "pans" when they were handing out hands, because he's got two feet there.

Just not seeing it. Agree with Brad.

Nuclear 12-07-2005 04:05 PM

Definitely not a 1st round pick though. I'd like to see him on a line with Primeau and Kapanen

Roger's Pancreas* 12-07-2005 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear
Definitely not a 1st round pick though. I'd like to see him on a line with Primeau and Kapanen

Pretty much but checking ability and mobility like his are still pretty rare. Doesn't bother me that his ceiling is a third liner, it's not like we gave up anything for him.

lynchmob450 12-07-2005 06:17 PM

If he ends up playing the rest of the season as he has so far...i'll be happy with him being on the 4th line being a ***** disturber. I just want him to keep his head on tight so that no bad penalties are taken. ANY goals/assists will be a bonus. I don't think the Flyers need that from him.

The Primeau-Kapanen-Eager line sounds like a super fit. Our shutdown line.

FlyersProspect2 12-07-2005 06:23 PM

I was impressed with his play. He uses his size to an advantage very well. That could produce a few goals. But he could be a very good checking line player which is just as important.

easton122 12-07-2005 06:58 PM

Now that we need Brashear's salary off the books more than ever (to get another defensemen) I'm hoping Clarke does something with Brash and moves up Eager permanently.

Teezax 12-07-2005 07:50 PM

I'v eliked what he's brought so far, besides we'll need an Eager type guy when we eventually waive or plot to assasinate Brashear.

hockeystud938 12-07-2005 09:48 PM

Eager is the man so far

Vikke 12-07-2005 10:58 PM

He was looking good versus Flames, I like him.
Much better than Brashear. :shakehead

GKJ 12-08-2005 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke
He was looking good versus Flames, I like him.
Much better than Brashear. :shakehead

Watching the Phantoms game yesterday...so is Josh Gratton

Vikke 12-08-2005 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Watching the Phantoms game yesterday...so is Josh Gratton

I was watching a bunch of 10 year olds last night. They were also better. =/

Coburnfan05 12-08-2005 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynchmob450
If he ends up playing the rest of the season as he has so far...i'll be happy with him being on the 4th line being a ***** disturber. I just want him to keep his head on tight so that no bad penalties are taken. ANY goals/assists will be a bonus. I don't think the Flyers need that from him.

The Primeau-Kapanen-Eager line sounds like a super fit. Our shutdown line.

I wold rather see Kappy play an offensive role with this team.

How about Primeau-Stevenson-Eager, that's one hell of a checking line.

lynchmob450 12-08-2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan

Good point...getting Kapanen to play amongst more offensively talented players would help the Flyers (especially if Kapanen were able to get on a roll.

Cuiff 12-09-2005 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
He can be a good 4th liner. He hits hard, can skate pretty well, and plays with a lot of effort. With that said, I don't think he has much upside. At least not in terms of offensive production.

I agree. I remember a few years ago some people on this board were acting like he was the second coming of John Leclair. The guy can bang bodies around and skate but that is about it. Phx blew it when they picked him in the first round. With that said, I would much rather have him playing than Brash.

easton122 12-09-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
I agree. I remember a few years ago some people on this board were acting like he was the second coming of John Leclair. The guy can bang bodies around and skate but that is about it. Phx blew it when they picked him in the first round. With that said, I would much rather have him playing than Brash.

He's got a scoring touch but we haven't seen it in the pro's yet. If he puts in his time as a 3rd/4th liner for a few years we might get a 20 goal season out of him. Beyond that we could always hope for a Knuble/Blake breakout when he's older ;)

BobbyClarkeFan16 12-09-2005 11:53 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but who does Kappy play with? His offensive game is done. He had those good seasons in Carolina, but comes here and becomes a defensive stalwart because his offensive game went south. Is it worth putting Kappy on a scoring line at the expense of Umberger or Sim or Handzus? To be honest, it really isn't.

Maybe I'm in the minority around here, but I would love to see us get an impact winger who can score goals and is a first line winger. We can then bump Knuble to the 2nd line and maybe we can see some more goals scored by the secondary and tertiary lines. We aren't seeing that right now and that's our biggest problem.

Yeah, we're good defensively, but we should be scoring more than 3.81 goals a game (103 goals in 27 games) with the talent we have.

mikedifr 12-09-2005 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Yeah, but who does Kappy play with? His offensive game is done. He had those good seasons in Carolina, but comes here and becomes a defensive stalwart because his offensive game went south. Is it worth putting Kappy on a scoring line at the expense of Umberger or Sim or Handzus? To be honest, it really isn't.

Maybe I'm in the minority around here, but I would love to see us get an impact winger who can score goals and is a first line winger. We can then bump Knuble to the 2nd line and maybe we can see some more goals scored by the secondary and tertiary lines. We aren't seeing that right now and that's our biggest problem.

Yeah, we're good defensively, but we should be scoring more than 3.81 goals a game (103 goals in 27 games) with the talent we have.

I will maybe give you Umberger for development reasons. And Handzus is always underated by people on this board (he is the best player on this team not named Peter or Simon)

However,

Kapanen > Sim any day of the week and about 50 times on Sunday!!!!

Sim has 7 goals when he had 6 in like the first 10 games. He should be a 4th liner at best. I honestly rather have seen them keep Sharp and lose Sim. Kapanen used to be a consistent 55-65 point scorer in this league until he started battling some injuries. He never seemed to be the same after a serious wrist injury he had in Carolina. The new rules and more time with an offensive line could only help him and I think he could be a 50 point, solid 2nd liner for a year or two. I havent seen the last few games so I dont know what the lines have looked like but when healthy I assume they are going to keep Gagne Forsberg Knuble together. I would like to see Handzus Richards Kapanen, and Umberger Carter Rado which has looked pretty good.

BobbyClarkeFan16 12-10-2005 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedifr
I will maybe give you Umberger for development reasons. And Handzus is always underated by people on this board (he is the best player on this team not named Peter or Simon)

However,

Kapanen > Sim any day of the week and about 50 times on Sunday!!!!

Sim has 7 goals when he had 6 in like the first 10 games. He should be a 4th liner at best. I honestly rather have seen them keep Sharp and lose Sim. Kapanen used to be a consistent 55-65 point scorer in this league until he started battling some injuries. He never seemed to be the same after a serious wrist injury he had in Carolina. The new rules and more time with an offensive line could only help him and I think he could be a 50 point, solid 2nd liner for a year or two. I havent seen the last few games so I dont know what the lines have looked like but when healthy I assume they are going to keep Gagne Forsberg Knuble together. I would like to see Handzus Richards Kapanen, and Umberger Carter Rado which has looked pretty good.

I'm just not convinced we have enough offense on this team. We're a one line team with very little secondary scoring. I would love for us to chase down some talent to fill out the 2nd line. I wonder what it would take to get Havlat out of Ottawa. He could be absolutely dizzying in Philadelphia.

Coburnfan05 12-10-2005 11:37 AM

Quote:

Obviously he is not a 30 goal scorer but he is more gifted offensively then Sim and Umberger.

I like Sim as an energy guy, a good plug on the 4th line and Umberger while I think he will turn out to be a solid 2 way player is not exactly an offensive dynamo.

Therfore I think using Kappy as a 2nd line winger and letting Umberger develop a solid defensive game this team would be better suited for the present and the future.

easton122 12-10-2005 11:52 AM

Quote:

I wonder what it would take to get Havlat out of Ottawa. He could be absolutely dizzying in Philadelphia.

First off Havlat is a pus and we don't want that type of player on our team.

Second off his value would be too high (Carter, Richards, Gagne, Pitkanen, ect.)

Third off he is out for the rest of the season with a shoulder injury :help:

Winston Wolf 12-10-2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

That's a flat out lie. Who was acting like he was the second coming of John LeClair? Maybe one or two said that he could be that type of player, but that was it. You have always maintained that the guy was a bust. Most people said 3/4 line banger and you laughed it off.

BobbyClarkeFan16 12-10-2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

I think using Kappy as a 2nd line winger and letting Umberger develop a solid defensive game this team would be better suited for the present and the future.

What is it with everyone's love on here for defensive checkers? Heaven forbid we have some youth that's offensively gifted and we don't try exploiting that. Umberger is good defensively but he wasn't signed to be a checker. He was signed because he has a good offensive game.

I'll never, ever, ever understand why we try to get rid of any offensive ability any player we have has. It's like we look for an excuse to not utilize that talent and put them in a checking role. Then, when they don't score, everyone pisses and moans that said player isn't scoring goals. And it just seems to be young players that we do this to. Veterans get a free ride in Philadelphia and it's getting really sickening. We've won NOTHING with the veterans we have. Why not let the kids roll with top line minutes for awhile. After all, they seem to be the only ones really healthy right now.

BobbyClarkeFan16 12-10-2005 04:17 PM

Quote:

I know I've always called him the 2nd coming of Tocchet, but with better skating ability. And it's hard to score goals when your coaches only use you as an energy guy.

When Eager played with Umberger and Sim with the Phantoms last year, he showed he can play a responsible game and that he doesn't have that bad of hands. However, John Stevens and his infinite wisdom decides that Eager's only good enough to play on the energy line and to goon it up.

I'll say this. It's like nobody wants to see him succeed. Yet, they'll do everything to put that fat lazy slovak Ruzicka in a position to succeed. Just doesn't make sense to me.