HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Wheres the Offence?! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19896)

capta 10-14-2003 06:46 PM

Wheres the Offence?!
 
Man, that's 5 straight periods without even a sniff. Wheres Hemsky? Smyth? York? Reasoner.....wheres the Reasoner I saw in Training Camp and the Pre-Season? Why is Bergeron still in this Lineup and Semenov out? Yeah, it's still early in the Season, and heck, we may still win this game gainst the Shames(I have to get up early,4 am.. shut the TV off)but I'm not liking what I see. I say put Horcoff at 1st or 2nd line Centre. Call Salmaleinen and Rita back up. Sit Pisani and....someone!:) And Eric Brewer....yeah, yeah, he's got potential. So did Tom Poti. And who says we couldn't use Comrie? We need help at Centre. Smyth and York should be playing the wing.....

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 10-14-2003 06:49 PM

Well, when your coach wants to play your 3rd and 4th line forwards on the powerplay, and doesn't want to forecheck, or teach a decent break-in, yet still score 4 goals somehow, what are ya supposed to expect?

fuhr 10-14-2003 06:50 PM

Guess what.......Pre-season is over so none of that matters!!!! I have two words for you......Dan Cleary!!!

'nuff said

creative giant* 10-14-2003 07:11 PM

Where's the offence?

Skating with the Golden Bears.

fuhr 10-14-2003 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMenace
Where's the offence?

Skating with the Golden Bears.

He'd help but i really don't know how much!!!! Remember,they've lost Comrie,Carter and Marchant and their replacements have done squat. As have our regular "snipers"(?)(Smyth,York,Hemsky,etc..)hence.... NO OFFENCE!!!!!!

tylerr 10-14-2003 07:31 PM

Take Brewer out, and Smith, he had that horrible giveaway. :mad: I didn't see any problems with Brewer.

mrhockey123 10-14-2003 07:32 PM

I just had a thought....
could they be tankin it on purpose in support of comrie?

think about it, if they tank, we gotta sign comrie or trade him.......interesting no?

the only exceptions would be the guys that NEED to score to stay in the lineup AKA the 4th line.....even more interesting......

tylerr 10-14-2003 07:35 PM

Or they really want Ovechkin? If thats the case then... uh.. yea keep it up.. ;) :joker:

mrush 10-14-2003 07:35 PM

imo mac t isnt a good coach, he juggles the lines too much to get offensive, that gives no confidence to his top players because he should let them play and get their confidence, hemsky didnt play at all during the 3rd, all he did was play laraque and horcoff over and over again, dvorak didnt play as much, like, you pay your top 6 forwards loads of money to play lots of ice time to score but than he plays horcoff (who sucks imo, nice give away on the powerplay) for the whole 3rd, reasoner is a much better center than horcoff will ever be. mac t sucks, thats why comrie isnt signing he wants a new coach thats why it has nothing to do with money, thats just my opinion.

Fender 10-14-2003 07:44 PM

What I thought was wierd is that Hemsky was on the PK more than once in the game.

I never thought Ales was a very D minded player...Maybe MacT was trying to get him to pot in a short hander??

thome_26 10-14-2003 07:58 PM

ya, that was pretty F@%$ing stupid having Hemsky on the PK. WHY? Sure scoring a short handed goal once or twice a week is nice - but how about triming 4-5% off surrendered PP goals?!?!?!?! Having Cross on the first pairing shows how off he is. This guy is a 6-7th Dman, not a ****** first pairing blueliner - he has one of the worse camps of all the regulars so you stick him on the first pairing?!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!?? This team needs a blueliner to bump Cross down (or out if I had my choice) and a scoring forward to put some pressure on guys like York and Chimera to perform - the lack of a veteran presense down the middle is seriously scary. I was glad to see a Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky line though, thats the first line I wanted to see from the get-go. Smyth has been quiet though - he doesn't seem at all comfertable.

GorillazXL 10-14-2003 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
Having Cross on the first pairing shows how off he is. This guy is a 6-7th Dman, not a ****** first pairing blueliner - .

Yeah i agree, i think Cross is effective paired with someone like bergeron as the third pairing, but by no way should he be on our power play... Watching the Vancouver game and the short handed goal was the perfect example of why not to have a slow footed dman like Cross on the power play. Not only did he give up the puck, he didn't even skated after the Vancouver player, I think his defensive partner who was sneaking in reached the blue line before he even left the Canuck's blue line.

GXL

USC Trojans 10-14-2003 08:53 PM

The team's performance the past two games have been dismal, but I'm not jumping off the bandwagon yet. Maybe my expectations have decreased a little, but seriously, its been only three games, and its way too early to start panicking. I have faith in my team, but I think K.Lowe will start finding his options regarding Comrie FAST if this keeps up.

Cerebral 10-14-2003 09:08 PM

I think myself and many Oiler fans have tricked ourselves into thinking we had enough depth to not miss Comrie.. while I'm one of the fans that feel we're fine without Carter/Marchant, we definitely need Mikey (or a suitable replacement) back in the lineup. I don't even care if Smyth is losing or winning his draws, he is not a centerman!

FacelessButcher 10-14-2003 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
I think myself and many Oiler fans have tricked ourselves into thinking we had enough depth to not miss Comrie.. while I'm one of the fans that feel we're fine without Carter/Marchant, we definitely need Mikey (or a suitable replacement) back in the lineup. I don't even care if Smyth is losing or winning his draws, he is not a centerman!

Bah, I'd take Marchant over "Mikey" anyday and Dvo is not playing up to the level that Carter was at(I don't blame him though)

Cerebral 10-14-2003 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Bah, I'd take Marchant over "Mikey" anyday and Dvo is not playing up to the level that Carter was at(I don't blame him though)

Though Dvo isn't playing great, I still think he's playing up to the level of Carter.. Anson never played well unless another member of his line was on top of his game as well and setting him up. I'm still holding a pathetically optimistic dream in my head that Comrie will sign before Saturday, suit up for the Oil on HNIC and pot a couple helping the Oilers down the Avs. Anyone who doesn't think Comrie would give our offense an immediate jumpstart needs to be boiled alive.. :)

jadeddog 10-14-2003 09:38 PM

comrie is G-O-N-E..... its too bad, but we *really* need to get over this already

i agree that this team needs help at center badly though (as ive said all along)..... this team is gonna have trouble scoring all season unless they get a stud centerman for comrie, and i dont think that is gonna happen

if they *dont* get a very good C back, i think it might be "next year country"

Cerebral 10-14-2003 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadeddog
comrie is G-O-N-E..... its too bad, but we *really* need to get over this already

Ugh.. everything anyone says is just utter speculation! We've yet to get a definitive response from either Lowe or Comrie stating he doesn't want to play in Edmonton any longer.. all i've heard is a bunch of broadcasters assuming that it's not money and therefore the environment in which he plays! Comrie is not by any means gone! Until one of the parties comes out and explains the situation, none of us need to get over anything.. I'm just hoping that Havlat's signing and Gaborik's inpending one help steer this situation in the right direction!

OYLer 10-14-2003 09:59 PM

Well I just got back about 20 minutes ago from a local Edmonton watering hole and watching the Oilers tank yet another game. It looked just as bad as the last game on the big screen. Seems to me the Flames' systems were working better then the Oilers' systems. How is it that Calgary can dump the puck out of there own end while under pressure and not ice the puck and the Oilers can't? Why did it seem that a Sutter coached team provided more support on the puck in all zones of the ice tonight then a MacT coached team?

Calgary's work ethic jelled with their system, Edmonton's didn't. Calgary got the much better scoring chances hitting 3 goalposts and a crossbar. The difference was the Flames' powerplay scored and the Copper & Blue gassed their odd man advantages. I think Matheson noted the Oilers spent a whole hour just practising the PP. May I suggest that we fans who work in the ordinary work-a-day world put in minimum of eight hrs. a day, and often work overtime some 2 to 4 hours and most of us are happy to get the extra work just to earn the extra money.

So may I suggest one whole hour might not be enough; not when many of us work 10 to 12 hours a day just to be able to afford the occasional tickets to the live ice. What with paying for the Pay-for-View and a new 3rd jersey for the grandson and baring the additional cable costs to get Sportsnet and TSN, plus driving into E-town an hour and 15 minutes, there and then back, with the better half so I can catch the 'Oil' on the tube cause there was no other way to see this particular game. Buy dinner and be the designated driver just to support my team and expecting to see motivated effort and instead get a lackluster confusion is plain annoying. So ya we've the typical blue collar fans who are there, game in and game out, and my dollars help pay your wages.

Well I would like more of a payback this year for my unflinching loyalty over the last 15 fruitless years. If a few more hours A DAY of repetiton are needed to get the PP working then let's put in the extra time gentlemen. It's not like you all aren't getting payed enough!:rant:

Master Lok 10-15-2003 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrush
imo mac t isnt a good coach, he juggles the lines too much to get offensive, that gives no confidence to his top players because he should let them play and get their confidence, hemsky didnt play at all during the 3rd, all he did was play laraque and horcoff over and over again, dvorak didnt play as much, like, you pay your top 6 forwards loads of money to play lots of ice time to score but than he plays horcoff (who sucks imo, nice give away on the powerplay) for the whole 3rd, reasoner is a much better center than horcoff will ever be. mac t sucks, thats why comrie isnt signing he wants a new coach thats why it has nothing to do with money, thats just my opinion.

Quick, its three games in and we're 1-2 ! oh no! Let's fire MacT, he's done, he's lousy. We need another D, let's overspend and sign Berard for $2.5 million! Oh yah, we need a centre, ok, let's cave in and sign Mikey for $3.5 million and have a centre again... Geez guys. its 3 games. My ass is so red from having the baseboards hitting me everytime someone jumps off the bandwagon.

dawgbone 10-15-2003 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OYLer
Well I just got back about 20 minutes ago from a local Edmonton watering hole and watching the Oilers tank yet another game. It looked just as bad as the last game on the big screen. Seems to me the Flames' systems were working better then the Oilers' systems. How is it that Calgary can dump the puck out of there own end while under pressure and not ice the puck and the Oilers can't? Why did it seem that a Sutter coached team provided more support on the puck in all zones of the ice tonight then a MacT coached team?

Calgary's work ethic jelled with their system, Edmonton's didn't. Calgary got the much better scoring chances hitting 3 goalposts and a crossbar. The difference was the Flames' powerplay scored and the Copper & Blue gassed their odd man advantages. I think Matheson noted the Oilers spent a whole hour just practising the PP. May I suggest that we fans who work in the ordinary work-a-day world put in minimum of eight hrs. a day, and often work overtime some 2 to 4 hours and most of us are happy to get the extra work just to earn the extra money.

So may I suggest one whole hour might not be enough; not when many of us work 10 to 12 hours a day just to be able to afford the occasional tickets to the live ice. What with paying for the Pay-for-View and a new 3rd jersey for the grandson and baring the additional cable costs to get Sportsnet and TSN, plus driving into E-town an hour and 15 minutes, there and then back, with the better half so I can catch the 'Oil' on the tube cause there was no other way to see this particular game. Buy dinner and be the designated driver just to support my team and expecting to see motivated effort and instead get a lackluster confusion is plain annoying. So ya we've the typical blue collar fans who are there, game in and game out, and my dollars help pay your wages.

Well I would like more of a payback this year for my unflinching loyalty over the last 15 fruitless years. If a few more hours A DAY of repetiton are needed to get the PP working then let's put in the extra time gentlemen. It's not like you all aren't getting payed enough!:rant:

Can we please stop with the "Athletes don't work as hard as I do" crap? If you are so pissed at them, stop being an idiot and paying for them!

That's a good idea, have them work for 10-12 hours in a day on practicing the power play. You know, then spend another 4 hours on video then make them hit the weights and bikes for 4 hours... wait there is still time left in the day, there must be more we can put make them do...

They don't show up for the rink and practice for 2 hours then get to go home. There are a lot more things that need to get done including video, medical, fitness, etc... all very important parts of pro hockey.

Couple that with the fact that a lot of times they don't get to spend anytime with their families, have a social life, you can't expect guys to be able to do this stuff if you have 3-4 hour practices.

Mowzie 10-15-2003 11:59 AM

Oh my god, Oiler fans, I found the Oilers offense, it looks like Craig Mactavish bottled it all up and left it in The hotel room in Jasper, and then the cleaning lady whose name is Rosa, drank it.

So my advice is to find Rosa and teach her how to QB the PP, not to mention the publicity we'd get for having the first latino woman in the NHL.

OYLer 10-16-2003 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
Can we please stop with the "Athletes don't work as hard as I do" crap? If you are so pissed at them, stop being an idiot and paying for them!

I see you are from Brampton dawgbone and maybe the western Canadian work ethic is foreign to your eastern sensibilities and maybe you might be a tad younger than me too. Perhaps you're an Xer or part of the Y generation or even younger. Being a "boomer" I'm results oriented. My approach in that little rant was to alert the Oilers' Management, players, and staff of the growing unrest amoung fans like me who are not focused on Hockey's Future here in Edmonton but Hockey's Present. I'm told the current crop of coaches and players sometimes read the posts here.

Too often elite athlete are coddled and treated too specially. They can become pampered because they are handled with kid gloves and allowed to hear only positive re-inforcement. "You are doing so well and you are so talented." But when they arrive at the professional hockey level things have to change. Accountability and responsibility go along with earning the big bucks and living every young Canadian boy's (and a few girl's) dream --playing in the NHL.

So dawg if you get boned reading my posts it's your right too attack a long time fan. But to have the Arrogance to Assume you know more about how an Athlete's life work's in Edmonton while sitting in Brampton I find amusing. Some 30 years ago I decided to replace my CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS jersey and start following a new team in town called the Alberta Oilers of the WHA. I was there at Northlands Coliseum, my bum warming the seats, when the 'OIL' joined the NHL. I was fortunate to have 2 half season tickets at the rail in the blues at center ice during 3 out of 5 of the Glory years. I've tilted a few 'pops' with most of the orginal boys on the bus.

I've been bored to death listening to Mike Gardner go on, and on, and on, about how hockey is essentially a entertainment commodity and athlete must maximize their earning potential when all I really wanted to know was how did it feel when he scored his first NHL goal. Dave Christensen eventually told him to give it a rest. The Capitals had just beaten the Oilers for the first time and Al Jensen, and a young American phenom named Bobby Carpenter had had great games (4 - 1' I think).

They both sat quickly as Christensen and I argued the merits of offensive verses defensive hockey. I've discussed hockey via dial-up service using long distance on Bullentin Boards before the advent of the world wide web on an old Apple II and 1200 bps modem, trading ideas with Kings fans yammering with Wing nuts. Using my NEC 386 laptop I've subscribed to CompuServe to trash talk with hockey fanatics in Hartford and some Golden Seals fans, etc. Last year I missed seeing the OiLer's play either live or via a TV feed only twice and only because it was my grandchildrens birthdays.

So I've earned the right to rant went highly paid athletes are no shows for 6 continuous periods of supposed professional hockey.

Oh! and if you don't like the tender of my comments don't read them junior.

cyrisweb 10-16-2003 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
Smyth has been quiet though - he doesn't seem at all comfertable.

That's because playing at Centre adds a whole heck of a lot more of responsibilities..
As far as I know he's never played it pro before.. and now he's just being thrust into that role.. It's just well.. not good.

Malefic74 10-16-2003 08:16 AM

Can't speak to the defense or special teams, but from my perspective the Oilers look like they all want the pretty goal. I haven't seen the drive to the net, the wilingness to pay the price in front and score some ugly garbage goals. They count too.

The Oilers have become a lot like my Habs, a lot of smaller, faster players who stick to the perimeter and look for the perfect pass or that perfect shot. It doesn't work, particularly against a team with sound defensive zone systems.

Until the players (particularly the top 6) are willing to get their noses dirty, the goals won't come any easier.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.