HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Flames fans display their own hypocracy... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=19986)

Lanny MacDonald* 10-15-2003 06:09 AM

Flames fans display their own hypocrisy...

Jamie McLennan was officially run out of town after a brutal season last year and an even worse preseason (a save percentage under .740 and a GAA over 4). There wasn't a fan that wanted him around and the radio shows were hot with who the new backup was going to be after Sutter made a deal. Sutter even went as far as to say that he was definitely going to bring in a new backup, one that can be trusted to fill in for Turek. "Noodles" was persona non-grata in Flameland. Now, after a game and a half, and getting credit for two wins, McLennan is a favorite son in Calgary and a player that the fans couldn't see the team getting rid of. What ever happened to conviction? What ever happened to sticking to your guns? Boo-birds and swingers of brick-bats to cheering throngs and hoisters of bouquets over-night? What the hell is going on in the world of sports?

Dr Love 10-15-2003 06:11 AM

It's part of sports. Goat one day, hero the next. Happens in every city, in every sport.

Lanny MacDonald* 10-15-2003 06:15 AM

Its pathetic. Plain and simple. Its bandwagoning in reverse. I don't think you'll find too many around here that appreciate that behavour, so why should this become "acceptable"?

Table 6 10-15-2003 06:23 AM

A player that we couldn't see ourselves getting rid off???? Come on Lanny, we both know that if a Kiprusoff or Noronen was our backup, most of us would be much more comfortable. Mclennan might have had two solid games, but I still think this is one part of the team that Sutter should still work on upgrading.

Lanny MacDonald* 10-15-2003 06:34 AM

I agree with you 100 percent. McLennan should be sent packing ASAP and a goaltender that is a legit backup be brought in. That was the prevailing mood in Calgary three days ago. But now the problem is non-existant and the Flames should "stick with the hot hand". Forget the fact that the defense has limited the scoring opportunites to a single handful in two games. This is all McLennan's doing. The Flames can't cut him loose based on his brilliant performance. Last season was an aboration and "Noodles" is the man. Its sickening to see fans that are that are fickle, but its worse to see them that swoon over a modicum of success.

Dr Love 10-15-2003 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
Its pathetic. Plain and simple. Its bandwagoning in reverse. I don't think you'll find too many around here that appreciate that behavour, so why should this become "acceptable"?

I'm not saying it's acceptable, just that it is reality. We don't have to like it, but have to live with it. I don't like it any more than you do.

Sec of Partying Down 10-15-2003 06:51 AM

Quote:

Its not pathetic. Flames fans want to win. If McLennan is playing well and the team is winning fans are going to want to keep him around if hes not playing well then fans don't want him around. Fans have no way of telling how good a goalie actually is. Fans just go by whether the team is winning and if his stats are good and right now the team is winning and his stats are good. So its natural for fans to like him and want to keep him around. Sure it may be an hypocracy but it is understandable.

zeppelin97 10-15-2003 07:00 AM

All sports fans are fickle.

Palffy's soft euro, vanishing acts were not exactly loved in LA the last 3 or so seasons. until he played like a superstar the last 35 games of the 02-03 season (his linemates includes minor leaguers). Palffy is officially loved by Kings fans. All it takes is a 35 game slump for LA fans to turn on him, maybe 10 pts in 35 games.

I remeber one poster pointed out kovalev was 'overrated'. Maybe one can conclude that, and its probably based on his sub-par performance without mario or jagr. i think kovalev is still a world class talent.

Fans are just fickle, plain and simple.

CupBound 10-15-2003 07:05 AM

Quote:

Jamie McLennan was officially run out of town after a brutal season last year and an even worse preseason (a save percentage under .740 and a GAA over 4). There wasn't a fan that wanted him around and the radio shows were hot with who the new backup was going to be after Sutter made a deal. Sutter even went as far as to say that he was definitely going to bring in a new backup, one that can be trusted to fill in for Turek. "Noodles" was persona non-grata in Flameland. Now, after a game and a half, and getting credit for two wins, McLennan is a favorite son in Calgary and a player that the fans couldn't see the team getting rid of. What ever happened to conviction? What ever happened to sticking to your guns? Boo-birds and swingers of brick-bats to cheering throngs and hoisters of bouquets over-night? What the hell is going on in the world of sports?

Lanny can you provide a link to that Flames fans uprising because I haven't seen any of that?
You wouldn't be making this up would you?

Habsfunk 10-15-2003 08:22 AM

This is Lanny trying to show he's not just a troll out to bait Habs fans and that he'll target his own team to. Its pretty sad really.

Enoch 10-15-2003 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfunk
This is Lanny trying to show he's not just a troll out to bait Habs fans and that he'll target his own team to. Its pretty sad really.

I think he has a legit point :rolleyes:

colonel_korn 10-15-2003 08:29 AM

Sorry to be a spelling cop, but this is really a pet peeve of mine.

hypocrisy

(Remember, it's not a form of government like democracy or aristocracy.

Though some might argue, still an important part of any government. :p )

Burke's Evil Spirit 10-15-2003 08:45 AM

Newsflash! Sports fans have no conviction!

Story at 11...

Lanny MacDonald* 10-15-2003 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfunk

Dude, if I was trying to bait Habs fans I would not be quite so subtle as to call them sheep. Most of them are too freakin' stupid to catch on to that. I'd be a little more blunt and say something along the lines of:

"Montreal is done. Koivu is going to have another long year of injuries and Theodore is going to melt dowan at the first sign of adversity. The fans are stupid, the beer at the games sucks, and everyone reeks of potpourri."

But I'm not trolling and have no desire to. I'm just sick of fans being so damn fickle and not sticking with their views of players and their team (and they wonder why the owners stick it to them so hard?). Its a pet peeve of mine.

BTW... great game last night for the Habs. Made Washington look like complete crap. I was really impressed, especially with the youngsters in the lineup. Hainsey did nothing to impress, but Ryder looks very impressive IMO.

IGM 10-15-2003 11:22 AM

I agree with the idea that we are all to a certain extent fickle. JM had a great game last night and IS capable of being a solid goalie. He is young and learning and only needs to be consistant to stick.
The same could be said about most players.

I will say that I think the best young D man in the league right now is Jordan Leopold. He doesn't make a ton of noise out there but he sure plays solid in his own end. I liked him last year, he is even better this year.

Bill McNeal 10-15-2003 12:09 PM

Quote:

Komisarek did nothing to impress, but Ryder looks very impressive IMO.

Well, considering Komi was sitting in the press box... :)

Lanny MacDonald* 10-15-2003 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Albino
Well, considering Komi was sitting in the press box... :)

Sorry, was thinking Hainsey, typed Komisarek. My bad.

Wingboy2999 10-15-2003 12:43 PM

Quote:

Dude, if I was trying to bait Habs fans I would not be quite so subtle as to call them sheep. Most of them are too freakin' stupid to catch on to that. I'd be a little more blunt and say something along the lines of:

"Montreal is done. Koivu is going to have another long year of injuries and Theodore is going to melt dowan at the first sign of adversity. The fans are stupid, the beer at the games sucks, and everyone reeks of potpourri."

But I'm not trolling and have no desire to. I'm just sick of fans being so damn fickle and not sticking with their views of players and their team (and they wonder why the owners stick it to them so hard?). Its a pet peeve of mine.

BTW... great game last night for the Habs. Made Washington look like complete crap. I was really impressed, especially with the youngsters in the lineup. Komisarek did nothing to impress, but Ryder looks very impressive IMO.

This post cracks me up.