HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Buffalo-Boston Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=20018)

Takeo 10-15-2003 07:29 AM

Buffalo-Boston Proposal

To Buffalo:
D Nick Boynton
D Milan Jurcina

To Boston:
D Henrik Tallinder
C Tim Connolly

Buffalo gets a young, physical, RH d-man to pair with Zhitnik and a second-tier d-prospect for the pipeline.

Boston gets a big, young, versatile d-man to compensate for the loss of Boynton and a potential 2nd line center who could flourish offensively if paired with Samsonov.

Just a thought...

WhoIsJimBob 10-15-2003 07:38 AM

The Sabres have turned down too many deals involving Tallinder in the past to move him now.

I think Campbell and Kalinin will be shipped out of town before Tallinder is.

Mizral 10-15-2003 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob
The Sabres have turned down too many deals involving Tallinder in the past to move him now.

Perhaps, but they would be braindead not to take this one. Unload Connolly's fat contract, get a much better defenseman in Boynton, and pick up D-prospect, Jurcina? Yowsa, what a deal for Buffalo.

WhoIsJimBob 10-15-2003 07:45 AM

Quote:

Unload Connolly's fat contract
Since when is a one year $1.2 million deal a fat contract? Connolly isn't even in the top 10 on the Sabres in payroll this season.

As far as the merits of the deal, I like it from a value POV. I just believe that Regier would try his darnedest to hold onto Tallinder and offer up other pieces if MOC came calling about a deal like this.

Tallinder is much like Ryan Miller in the organization's eyes in that they are very unlikely to move him because they believe he can be a cornerstone guy for years to come.

stungun 10-15-2003 08:00 AM

no thanx. jurcina is got alot of upside and boynton is one of the core if not the defensive core. when was the last time bos and buf made a trade.

Evil Sather 10-15-2003 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stungun
no thanx. jurcina is got alot of upside and boynton is one of the core if not the defensive core. when was the last time bos and buf made a trade.

This is seriously in no way an attack on you, but am I the only one tired of the word "upside"? Eh, maybe I'm just having a bad day.

Mizral 10-15-2003 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Since when is a one year $1.2 million deal a fat contract? Connolly isn't even in the top 10 on the Sabres in payroll this season.

As far as the merits of the deal, I like it from a value POV. I just believe that Regier would try his darnedest to hold onto Tallinder and offer up other pieces if MOC came calling about a deal like this.

Tallinder is much like Ryan Miller in the organization's eyes in that they are very unlikely to move him because they believe he can be a cornerstone guy for years to come.

Connolly at $1.2 million makes him one of the most overpayed players in the league, I'd say.

Value-wise, Boynton is the best player in this deal. You might like Tallinder (I know I do!), but he's certainly no Nick Boynton (not that Nicky is the best thing ever, but he's certainly better than Tallinder). Adding Boynton and only giving up Tallinder would give the Bruins a massive improvement on the blueline. Boynton may not be great offensivly or great defensivly, but he's above-average at just about everything... those kind of defensemen are very, very rare to find in today's NHL, and not many teams give them up.

Buffalo would probobly better keep Tallinder then, as I don't think many others believe he's quite that good (ie: A franchise player). I prefer Kallinen myself.

WhoIsJimBob 10-16-2003 02:13 AM

Quote:

Connolly at $1.2 million makes him one of the most overpayed players in the league, I'd say.
Connolly doesn't make enough to be in that neighborhood. He's only overpaid by $500,000 or so. Guys like Martin Lapointe are overpaid by millions of dollars per year.

Quote:

Buffalo would probobly better keep Tallinder then, as I don't think many others believe he's quite that good (ie: A franchise player). I prefer Kallinen myself.
I think Tallinder's superior skating and Kalinin's up and down development are the reasons why Sabres management would opt to keep Tallinder over Kalinin.

And I doubt they see Tallinder as a franchise player. I see them looking at him as a long term core guy, similiar to the way they currently view Adam Mair or the Nucks look at Matt Cooke.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 10-16-2003 05:21 AM

Boynton for:

McKee, 3rd rounder

OR

Kalinin, 4th rounder

Dr.Strangelove91 10-16-2003 06:30 AM

I doubt the B's would part with Boynton to get Connolly and Tallinder. Nick is better than Henrik at this point and Connolly won't be effective as a 4th line centerman. With Thornton and Rolston on the 1st and 2nd lines, I don't see any room for Connolly on the scoring lines and after that he's pretty much expandable as he's not a checker, a fighter, a grinder or a energy guy.

I think Connolly (I use to be a huge fan of him) won't be effective in the NHL until he gets decent icetime on one of the first two lines. Kind of like the Ribeiro situation back here in Montreal.

Goalie27* 10-16-2003 07:32 AM

Boynton's not going anywhere.... The Bruins just signed him, why do they have any reason to trade him? And all of the proposed deals make the Bruins significantly worse, so no go.