HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Mike Smith team - circa 1999-2000 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=20037)

p.l.f. 10-15-2003 08:38 AM

The Mike Smith team - circa 1999-2000

anyone remember this:

45-30-7 97pts
gf 268
ga 231

lost conference final

modin sundin thomas
berezin perrealt valk
d.king mccauley m.johnson
warriner sullivan domi

berard karpovstev
kaberle cote
markov yushkevich

joseph
healy

IR:
korolev (replaced by perreault midway)

others:
y.tremblay, k.king, mcallister
k.adams, kohn, bohonas,
eakins, dahl, reese

j.smith was traded during the season at quinn's request.
however smith is responsible for going ahead with it.

prospects:
antropov
hedin
ponikarovsky
cereda
mair
djsmith

nordique 10-15-2003 08:39 AM

And the point of this is...?

p.l.f. 10-15-2003 08:47 AM

hang on :rolleyes:
i just find this interesting-

now if the team had been kept in tact, free agents and all re-signed etc.
it would be:

sullivan sundin antropov
berezin perreault modin
ponikarovsky mccauley m.johnson
mair k.adams domi

kaberle markov
berard karpovstev
yushkevich y.tremblay

joseph

others:
hedin warriner korolev
mcallister djsmith cereda

Dar 10-15-2003 08:56 AM

K, still listening...

Are you saying that's a good thing or bad?

p.l.f. 10-15-2003 08:59 AM

would they have signed mogilny?

modin sundin mogilny
s.sullivan antropov ponikarovsky
berezin mccauley m.johnson
mair k.adams domi

kaberle markov
berard karpovstev
yushkevich y.tremblay

joseph

p.l.f. 10-15-2003 09:05 AM

this is a much better team in my opinion
more speed, more future.

the point is, what had quinn really done to try to improve this team over mike smith in the 4 yrs as GM.

now J.F. has an old, slow, injury prone group of forwards, a below avg blueline, and a coach that refuses to play a trap.

at quinn's and the players request, he has added nieuwendyk and klee and was accused for lowballing gilmour.

p.l.f. 10-15-2003 09:10 AM

in a nutshell, we had a good foundation of youth with mike smith, and quinn practically threw it all away.

ferguson is left to rebuild it virtually from scratch, and may have no alternative but to fire quinn, who wants to win now obviously.

would you be willing to trade more prospects and picks to help pat if you were the new gm?

Pinto 10-15-2003 09:23 AM

I'd much rather have the team we have now..........

we still have some great prospects, our D will be very good once some of them develop

Dar 10-15-2003 09:34 AM

Ahhh, now I see what you were getting at. Nope, like this team better. More depth up front, about equal defense, goaltending...well if Belfour has the same year as last, then he's got that one too. Plus now we actually have some prospects to look forward to in a few years. They are older, yes, but even with a few injuries they now have a few dependable players to fill in.

As for the trading youth for more vets? Nope again. I would trade youth for 25-28 year olds but not 30+. Hopefully any trades that may come in the form of perhaps a few C, C+ players currently playing forward or in the bottom of the pecking order of defensemen along with a fringe prospect for a B or B+ type defenseman.

Dar 10-15-2003 09:54 AM

I guess to better analyze you could go one on ones with the players using the same line combos as they were then just moving the players still on the team that were on that line to their respective line now.

Sullivan - Renberg *edge Sullivan
sundin - Sundin
Modin - Nolan *edge Nolan

berezin - Roberts *edge Roberts
perreault - Nieuwendyk *edge Nieuwendyk
Ponikarovsky - Tucker *edge Tucker

Antropov - Antropov
mccauley - Stajan (yeah I know C-LF whatever) *edge McCauley (at this point)
m.johnson - Mogilny *edge Mogilny

mair - Perrott *edge Perrott (should be there over Belak)
k.adams - Reichel *tough call, both good defensively, Reichel better playmaker
domi - Domi

kaberle - Kaberle
markov - Jackman *edge Markov (at this point)
berard - Klee *Draw, Berard>offensively Klee>Defensively but only = if we're talking pre injury, otherwise Klee for sure.
karpovstev - McCabe *edge McCabe
yushkevich - Kondratiev *edge Yuskevich
y.tremblay - Berg *edge Berg, if he plays consistantly, but then again Trembley has a problem with that too.

joseph - Belfour *edge Belfour

FerrisRox 10-15-2003 10:36 AM

How on earth can you say that the current defense is equal to that Mike Smith era one??

It's night and day!

The Smith era one with Danny Markov, etc is dramatically better.

As for having more forward depth, I'm not sure that's true. Excellent speedsters like Mike Johnson and Steve Sullivan may not have the big name cache of a Joe Nieuwendyk or an Owen Nolan, but they are likely to score more points, be injured way less, and take dramatically fewer stupid penalties.

ACC1224 10-15-2003 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.
would they have signed mogilny?

modin sundin mogilny
s.sullivan antropov ponikarovsky
berezin mccauley m.johnson
mair k.adams domi

kaberle markov
berard karpovstev
yushkevich y.tremblay

joseph

Man we had a lot of softees up front...Perrault, Sullivan, Berezin I remember watching these guys get pushed off the puck in the playoffs, it wasn't pretty.

Dar 10-15-2003 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrisRox
How on earth can you say that the current defense is equal to that Mike Smith era one??

It's night and day!

The Smith era one with Danny Markov, etc is dramatically better.

As for having more forward depth, I'm not sure that's true. Excellent speedsters like Mike Johnson and Steve Sullivan may not have the big name cache of a Joe Nieuwendyk or an Owen Nolan, but they are likely to score more points, be injured way less, and take dramatically fewer stupid penalties.

Then perhaps you can say where you feel I was wrong in the comparisons. It's all a matter of opinion.

p.l.f. 10-15-2003 02:45 PM

its interesting to compare

whats frustrating is we havent improved, and we're much older

p.l.f. 10-15-2003 02:48 PM

i really liked the speed of the mike smith team
i think it would challenge quicker teams like ottawa and new jersey more than this one

LeafSadist 10-15-2003 02:53 PM

Still can't believe we let Sullivan go for free and pretty much Modin too.

Mike1 10-15-2003 08:22 PM

Wasn't Antropov on that team as well?

Berard's injury hurt us big time.He had alot of potential,won the calder,it's just a shame when you look back.I don't know how they lead the league in scoring with Valk up there on the 2nd line..........

Vincent Vega 10-16-2003 06:54 AM

Damn. If you guys would have kept Yushkevich and Markov.

Kaberle - McCabe
Yushkevich - Markov
Klee - Marchment

You dont get a lot of offense from your defense. However, that bottom for would be scary as **** to play against.

Mike1 10-16-2003 03:18 PM

Does anyone know what the payroll of that sqaud was?