HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   (Non-Kings) Rookie Of The Year discussion: (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=200705)

TubbyTerrion* 12-12-2005 01:08 PM

(Non-Kings) Rookie Of The Year discussion:

As we get our first look at Alexander Ovechkin this week, I thought it might be interesting to have some spirited discussion about the potential 2005-06 NHL Rookie Of The Year candidates.

Everyone discusses Crosby vs. Ovechkin, and then ESPN.com threw Marek Svatos (deservedly so) into the conversation, but for me, the actual potential dark horse is Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf. Not only does he have a fantastic name, but he gets more ice time than any of the three forwards, is a plus player, has 11 power play points, and hits like a Mack truck.

Discuss:

wabwat 12-12-2005 01:29 PM

i can also think of two other players who, although will not come anywhere near the rookie of the year award. each have performed rather admirably in their freshman season, and deserve an early season tip of the cap...

1.) Chicago Blackhawks - Brent Seabrook (d): 28 4 12 16 +6
- doesn't have the glamorous hitting ability of Phaneuf, nor is he ever gonna be the franchise defenseman that Dion is. but he's really got some game, and i've liked everything i've seen with this guy so far.

2.) New York Rangers - Henrik Lundqvist (g): 20 12 4 3 2.07 .928
- quickly became a fan favorite in a tough city. not particularly big, not particularly flashy... pretty damn solid though. not only is Henrik standing out on a team with some rather deep goaltending (which enabled them to [don't forget] move a quality netminder in LaBarbera), he is definitely one of the major reasons the Rangers have enjoyed the early season success.

swinginutter* 12-12-2005 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
As we get our first look at Alexander Ovechkin this week, I thought it might be interesting to have some spirited discussion about the potential 2005-06 NHL Rookie Of The Year candidates.

Everyone discusses Crosby vs. Ovechkin, and then ESPN.com threw Marek Svatos (deservedly so) into the conversation, but for me, the actual potential dark horse is Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf. Not only does he have a fantastic name, but he gets more ice time than any of the three forwards, is a plus player, has 11 power play points, and hits like a Mack truck.

Discuss:

Agreed 100%.......but Dion won't get a look....end of story! He plays like he's been in the league for ten years......scary!

My pick goes to Ovechkin. He plays with crap all around him, and still puts up massive numbers. He's also a good teammate to those around him, and that's just by watching Caps games from time to time. He doesn't act like he owns the joint, and his interviews tell you that.
Crosby.......he's going to be awesome no question, but i'm not a big fan. He's surrounded by gamers, and it would be interesting to see what he would do at a club like Washington.

Legionnaire 12-12-2005 01:52 PM

I agree with Phaneuf as well. He would be my pick. The kid stepped into what is/was as top five defense going into the season, and has been their best defenseman to date.

Chartrand 12-12-2005 01:54 PM

I will eat my hat if it goes to anyone not named "Ovechkin" or "Crosby". Not so much for the performance, but the hype. You think they'll allow one or both of these kids to lose?

Luckily, my hat is made of 100% Godiva chocolate.

Haik 12-12-2005 02:00 PM

Sasha> Cindy IMO