HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   TSN's Bob McKenzie - Canadian team payrolls (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=20116)

Mizral 10-15-2003 03:15 PM

TSN's Bob McKenzie - Canadian team payrolls

Was just watching the NHL on TSN pregame show, and Bob McKenzie put up a graphic that had all the salaries of all the Canadian teams. Doing this from memory, but the bottom 4 were:

Vancouver: $38.8 million
Ottawa: $38.6 million
Calgary: $37.5 million
Edmonton: $31.1 million

Just some food for thought...

Avery4Byng* 10-15-2003 03:39 PM

Mckenzie is a donut king. Cant stand him

SopelFan* 10-15-2003 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tray

Smartest hockey analyst I know... why does someone's weight matter?

Burke's Evil Spirit 10-15-2003 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super_Joe
I thought the Canucks payroll was 42 million ?

That is the upper limit. Most of the $4 million slack will be taken up by bonuses from last season, and the contract Bertuzzi will hopefully sign soon.

PhillyNucksFan 10-15-2003 04:23 PM

amazing to have DEEPEST team in NHL with $38.6M payroll...

Amazing truly!

NYVanfan 10-16-2003 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyNucksFan
amazing to have DEEPEST team in NHL with $38.6M payroll...

Amazing truly!

Ottawa might have something to say about that, but oh well....

NFITO 10-16-2003 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYVanfan
Ottawa might have something to say about that, but oh well....

think he was referring to Ottawa... $38.6 mill is their payroll.

NYVanfan 10-16-2003 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
think he was referring to Ottawa... $38.6 mill is their payroll.

ah, right.. my bad.

galiano 10-16-2003 07:18 AM

Quote:

McKenzie is a very smart hockey man. So how would you look on tv ??

darth5 10-16-2003 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galiano
McKenzie is a very smart hockey man. So how would you look on tv ??

McKenzie is a hockey analyst I listen to, even though I don't always agree with him.

It says a lot for the Sens org that they are that deep, but they got that depth by many consecutive years of stinking. Not something many other fans remember or would tolerate.

NFITO 10-16-2003 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnrocketman
McKenzie is a hockey analyst I listen to, even though I don't always agree with him.

It says a lot for the Sens org that they are that deep, but they got that depth by many consecutive years of stinking. Not something many other fans remember or would tolerate.

I don't think it's that clear cut that they got all their talent from "stinking" for many years...

in recent years, when they have been a good hockey team, they've added star talent - Havlat, Hossa, Volchenkov...

in the past (and recently) they've also added good players from later in the draft - Alfreddson, Fisher, Rachunek, Emery, White, etc...

goaltending they added as well, having nothing to do with sucking... they picked up Lalime when he wasn't worth a lot, and added Prusek with a late pick in the draft...

infact their current success can only be contributed in a smaller part to them sucking in the past (Redden, Phillips, Bonk are their only top picks still on the roster, outside the return they got for Yashin), but the majority of their team was put together from some awesome later picks, and some crafty deals...

if you compare that to the Canucks, the Sedins went 2nd and 3rd, and Allen went 4th overall... not all that different from Redden, Bonk and Phillips, except the latter group is much better... we got Jovo for Bure (Chara for Yashin, Spezza has not had an impact on their success till now, but he will)... the rest though, while we've gotten Cooke, Chubarov, Sopel, etc from our picks, they've managed to get Fisher, Hossa, Havlat, Volchenkov, etc (and we haven't come close in the 1st round or any other for that matter)... there's where the biggest difference is, and it's not because of them stinking, rather the opposite!

KOMO_ROCKS 10-17-2003 07:09 PM

Quote:

why diss the best hockey insider based on his weight? That is lame :rolleyes:

ehc73 10-17-2003 08:25 PM

Calgary really doesn't have a whole lot in salary when you take away Turek and Iginla. They'd be right there with the lowest paid teams in the league.
Anyone know how Montreal got their payroll around $45 million? Theodore holds up a good 6-7 of that...

The Produce Man 10-17-2003 08:56 PM

I didn't know that Montreal had a higher payroll then us :eek:

incawg 10-17-2003 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Canuck 19
I didn't know that Montreal had a higher payroll then us :eek:

They're still recovering from their pre-gainey dead weight signings. He'll get their payroll structure (and on ice performance) in check but it's going to take some time.