HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   General Fantasy Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Hockey Arena (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=201807)

ktulu98 12-15-2005 11:38 AM

Hockey Arena

5 Attachment(s)
Hi guys and girls? let me introduce myself first...My name is Lukas aka ktulu and I want to present you one online hockey manager - Hockey Arena-> http://www.hockeyarena.net.

Some facts about HA->
1. game is free...
2. over 17.000 users
3. 42 countries(from Canada,USA,Slovakia,Finland,Sweden to Australia,Belarussia,Brasil... )
4. 26 languages

What is Hockey Arena all about? Every player from nearly 14 thousand registered ones is the owner of a hockey team, fully under his control. You decide on training regimes, you are preparing the lineups for matches, and many more management based activities. The fate of the team is completely in your hands. Only you will decide whether to bring new players from the trade market, whether to expand your training facilities, hiring cheerleaders for the team, and many more out of the money you receive from revenues gained--both from tickets sold or from the team's sponsors. You have to decide whether to invest in training facilities and youth schools to build from within, or to invest large sums on bringing players (such as free agents) from the transfer market. Every dollar spent has a direct impact on the future of the team, which is why it is very important to choose a strategy wisely, weighing in the benefits and flaws of each approach.

If you have decided to give Hockey Arena a try and create a team, you will automatically be placed into one of the leagues in your country. Of course, you will not find yourself in the highest league right from the start. If you want to compare with the best teams, you will have a long road ahead of you—every season lasts 70 days, during which you play 30 league matches in the regular season (A home and away set between the 16 teams in each league). The 8 best teams in regular season will advance to the playoffs, the two finalists promoting to a higher league. Aside from league play, there is the National Cup played on Wednesdays. If you are eliminated from the National Cup you can schedule friendly games to your off-days. Friendly matches are best to test new lineups, new tactics and give your starters a rest. There is also a World championship played once every two seasons, the best players from each country compete under the guidance of a National Manager, elected by all the managers from his home country. Will you be able to amass yourself such a successful reputation that you will become the National Manager for your country?

hluraven 12-16-2005 04:34 AM

I play this regularly and it is very very good for a free game. I would recommend it to any hockey fans

ktulu98 12-18-2005 07:56 AM

and a lot of improvements are coming from new season as a new match engine(PP and PK), players will have new attributes->passing,discipline and maybe something like fighting...

game is free so just register and after night update you will get team and try it...

http://www.hockeyarena.net

Acadmus 12-27-2005 01:06 PM

I'll also recommend it - I've been playing for about 5 or 6 seasons, somewhere around a year's time. Very fun building a team from scratch with a bunch of faceless players and trying to bring your team into the elite leagues while creating stars in the process.

Join now, as the playoffs are entering the second round tonight, which means the new season begins in less than two weeks.

SlapnutsV1 12-27-2005 01:55 PM

This simulator isn't totally clear to me.

If I sign up, am I joining a pool already containing thousands of other people? Or am I getting a simulator such as APBA or FHL?

Acadmus 12-27-2005 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan_of_66
This simulator isn't totally clear to me.

If I sign up, am I joining a pool already containing thousands of other people? Or am I getting a simulator such as APBA or FHL?

You're joining a pool of thousands - it's all online in your web browser. The leagues are divided by country and then all teams for each country are divided into leagues of 16 teams. Each team plays a regular season of 30 games, with the top 8 teams from each league taking part in a playoff. Promotions up the league structure come from leading positions in the regular season and leading positions in the playoffs, while bottom teams are relegated backward.

Playoffs are best-of-3 round robin, single elimination. You need to win 6 games to win the league championship. Then the next season starts.

Players have contracts to manage - you get new blood through your youth school every other Sunday, you can outbid other teams for talent on the open market, you improve facilities to improve your team, create training programs and set intensity levels - quite a few elements to control - I haven't even listed all of them.

ktulu98 12-28-2005 10:57 AM

thanks acadmus for explaining the situation...

ktulu98 01-02-2006 08:09 AM

i would like to ask - has anybody already registered?

psod 01-03-2006 09:33 AM

I used to play about a year ago - always thought the game was fantastic! Unfortunately, I spent a few months travelling and never really got back into it. I think I'll give it a shot again ... see if I can have a little more success this time. ;)

Acadmus 01-03-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psod
I used to play about a year ago - always thought the game was fantastic! Unfortunately, I spent a few months travelling and never really got back into it. I think I'll give it a shot again ... see if I can have a little more success this time. ;)

It can take time - when I took over a team in mid season, I immediately turned it around from a perennial bottom-feeder to a playoff team. But I almost never got past the first round, even as the higher seed. This season I'm finally promoting after making the final for my league. It's been probably 6 seasons or so. Maybe more...can't remember when I joined :D

Jesarino 03-10-2006 04:46 PM

Is this along the same lines as Hattrick, the soccer simulator? www.hattrick.org

hluraven 03-11-2006 05:48 AM

Yes, obviously there are differences, but it is basically the hockey equivalent of Hattrick

yoteshot 03-18-2006 01:06 PM

I've already tried this game and I hated it!

There are no real players in it...

If they would have done it with real players and everything, it would have been super cool but those no-names... :dunno:

Acadmus 05-17-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2_kovalev_7

If they would have done it with real players and everything, it would have been super cool but those no-names... :dunno:

You have to adopt the fictional players and follow their careers - you get more attached to them that way. I've got two star players now that I originally yanked out of my youth school.

My only complaint is they begin to fade at a time when hockey players normally are in their prime, age 28-30. They need to stretch careers to 33-35 years before they fade. But that won't be dealt with on this board.

They've just added two new skill sets, passing and self control, so I'm guessing they're expanding the game engine. The skills probably come online next season, which begins in a little over a week, I think.

RandomCanuckFan 05-17-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2_kovalev_7

Look. Go find enough (real) Slovakian hockey player names to create probably at least 1,000 teams, and then you can complain about them not using real names.

You have to realize that there are like 20,000 teams in this game. There aren't enough pro hockey players from some of the nationalities in HA to make as many teams as there are playing there. There's just no way.

mikefavata 05-23-2006 08:56 PM

I love it.

SLUsaints 05-28-2006 05:53 PM

Folks this game is so much better than fantasy hockey. While I originally just played fantasy hockey...and still do...Hockey Arena is where I spend most of my time. The game is so thorough and you are both the manager of your team and the coach. It financial aspects are really well thought out and each manager controls every aspect of there teams performance.

While sure the players names aren't those of NHL players...which are always changing I might add, if your really want to get into a great hockey game, names shouldn't make a difference to you. With over 20,000 users if everyone's roster was made up of only the 500-700 NHL players it would be pretty stupid. Your league is made up of 16 other teams from your country all trying to promote to a higher league. I guess I have to admit it would be kind of comical if half of the 16 teams in your league all had goalies named Martin Brodeur.

Anyways I would strongly encourage serious fantasy hockey players to at least give HockeyArena a try for a week. That was the challenge that was posed to me and now the site is a magnet I have trouble prying myself from.

If you do give HockeyArena.net a try post in this forum and we can give you help as you get started. Or pose a question on the Discussion forums.

jcoldwell 05-28-2006 06:19 PM

I got introduced to hockeyarena about 2 yrs ago by a buddy of mine. I have to admit it is addicting. Creating your team from ground up and seeing how well you do is amazing.

I started out in the bottom division in Canada and now I am in the 3rd division placing 3rd place in the playoffs. Can't wait to start the new season Monday.

Sherlock 05-28-2006 06:34 PM

I was heavily into this game for a few months a year or two ago, until I got bogged down with work and school and had to forfeit my team. However, I am done with school for a while, so I signed up again last night. Can't wait to get moving again!

Puckz 05-29-2006 09:30 PM

Just started this game a couple days ago and while I understand the tactics and lines for the most part, I'm curious if anyone who's played has some tips? Some advice?

For buying players, selling players, renewing contracts, expanding stadium (when is too soon), that sorta deal... Anyone?

Andy_Social 05-29-2006 10:32 PM

I've played it for a few seasons and enjoy it thoroughly. If you're just starting out you should try to get your training, regeneration and youth school built up. Build around players with high quality and potential. Get yourself a half decent goalie with some experience from the market. Your players become free agents at 27 so if they are decent they will cost you more from that point on. I was thinking of starting a thread here a while ago. There are still under 300 people playing in Canada so you can promote pretty fast.

I should mention that a major downside is that the server shuts down every day for about three hours during prime North American online time as the daily update is done. They are making adjustments though and I think this is going to be changed soon.

Puckz 05-30-2006 01:45 AM

So I'm losing about $500,000 a day... balance is around $2,000,000... it costs $400,000 to do the first upgrades on my training/youth league/regeneration... I do know you can go $14,000,000 in debt, what would you suggest? Just spend a good $6-8 million, go in debt temporarily, and build up the facilites?

Another question I had, it says a season is 70 days long, yet none of my players are under contract for a full season then (everyone has a contract expiring mid to late season)... Do I need to resign all these players during the middle of the season or will they just straight up leave halfway through a year if I don't?

Also, signing players from the market, put in bids on a couple of youngsters with no contract, this was today actually, will they get added to my roster after today and then I can sign them to a contract or what happens?

Any replies would be great, any additional advice would be awesome as well, thanks for the first reply!

hluraven 05-30-2006 04:17 AM

Every Wednesday you get money from your sponsors (5,100 multiplied by your fan club size - 2000 fans = 10 million a week). As suggested earlier, building up training facilities and youth school is key to the long-term strategy of most successful teams.

Contracts need renewing when they expire - they are renewed for 70 days until the player is 27, when they go UFA and renewals are for 210 days. A good tip is to renew 26 year olds contracts on the last day of the season as all players age one year between seasons - this way you get them for the entire season as 27 year olds before they go UFA.

On the players screen, under contracts there is a tick box. If this is ticked the game will automatically renew your players contracts for you when they expire, upto a limit that you can set under manager settings.

Hope all this helps, ask for more info if there is anything else. BTW, I'm Bromley Ravens in Great Britain League II.II if anyone wants a friendly

Puckz 05-30-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hluraven
On the players screen, under contracts there is a tick box. If this is ticked the game will automatically renew your players contracts for you when they expire, upto a limit that you can set under manager settings.

Good I had no idea what those boxes were for actually... my question is, I went under manager settings and there was nothing about contracts other than "Maximum Unprotected Player Salary". Is that what I need to change, it currently is at $0, do I leave it as that and all my players will resign, or do I set it higher than the highest players demand and that would ensure everyone signs?

Andy_Social 05-30-2006 01:44 PM

If you leave it at 0 you should be fine. I think that the amount box was brought in so you could automatically bid on your free agents if you were out of town or something. If they are under 27 they will sign automatically at a rate based on their age, ability index and star percentage.