HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ellison vs Sharp. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=201829)

tytech 12-15-2005 01:04 PM

Ellison vs Sharp.

Sure itís a new team and all but Ellison has been invisible. Sharp was playing ok and chipped in some nice points here and there. Why did we make this trade? Sharp could and was playing wing. Why wait a year for Ellison to get where Sharp already was? What was the point of this trade? Especially since it's seemed to harm us a tad.

Roger's Pancreas* 12-15-2005 01:11 PM

Way I understand it now is that 1. he has better potential than Sharp. He's more aggressive and plays the body reguarly. And 2. he doesn't need to clear waivers to be sent down to the Phantoms. It cost us 100 grand, but in the end you can consider it a wash. If it bothers you too much you can always look at it this way, Clarke traded Eric Meloche for a third round pick.

GKJ 12-15-2005 01:13 PM

most 4th liners are invisible...because they're on the 4th line

VaFlyer 12-15-2005 01:14 PM

This has been gone over again and again. Ellison was traded for because he could be sent down to the minors where Sharp would have to clear waivers to be sent down. IMO, the trade really broke down this way:

Meloche for Ellison
Sharp for a 3rd.

If you remember Sharp was a 3rd round pick. Clarke probably believes he can get a player equal to Sharp in talent in the upcoming draft. With the number of young guys we have on the team, and those on the way, I think Clarke believed he could back up just a little. If Ellison develops into what Sharp is 2 years from now - great, but he just gained us cap space. Sharp was not going to fit once we get healthy. Umberger has made Sharp expendable. Just look:

Gagne/Forsberg/Knuble
Handzus/Richards/Radio
Umberger/Carter/Sim
Kapanen/Primeau/Stevenson

In essence with Sharp we had a 5th line:
Brashear/Sharp/Savage

GoneFullHextall 12-15-2005 02:16 PM

I still dont understand why people are so worked up over this deal. Sharp was a natural center and ellsion can play the wing and center, plus like what has been said allready the Flyers got a 3rd round pick for a 29 year old career AHL'er.

Flyersfan17 12-15-2005 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
the Flyers got a 3rd round pick for a 29 year old career AHL'er.

Ill give you that... but I still think Sharp was the better player in the deal. I think it may come back to haunt us

Banger 12-15-2005 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersfan17
Ill give you that... but I still think Sharp was the better player in the deal. I think it may come back to haunt us

how? Is Sharpe all the sudden going to become a good player? He is what he is, a 3rd/4th liner with some speed and a little skill. No part of his game is special. Sharpe was the 7th best center on this team behind Forsberg, Carter, Richards, Umberger, Handzus and Primeau. Once everyone gets healthy his 5 minutes worth of ice time would have probably been reduced to 0. He couldn't get sent down so the flyers got a decent younger replacement for a needed position (winger) as well as a 3rd round draft pick in a deep draft. It's a no-brainer and a big reason why the Flyers have the nice deep farm system they do today....

markzab 12-15-2005 04:06 PM

Quote:

If Sharp is the type of player or this is the type of trade that will come back to haunt us, I think we have a lot more to worry about.

This is a non-event people.

RJ8812 12-15-2005 05:48 PM

i heard Sharp wasnt getting along with Hitch either

hexxy2727 12-16-2005 01:35 AM

Matty is going to go to the minors for one more year, which he needs, he reminds of Brad Isbister when he was young. If the Islanders would have sent him to the minors to get icetime and some more teaching and experience he would have been way better but, i think matty has those type of skills and one day could be a Brindamour type player.

MojoJojo 12-16-2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
he doesn't need to clear waivers to be sent down to the Phantoms.

Honestly that is the first rational argument I can see for why Clarke made this trade. I've seen all the other arguments, and frankly they are all crappola (hitch doesnt like him, third round pick, not as versatile, etc.). Clarke wants to be able to send someone down when guys come off the IR.

Jester 12-16-2005 01:26 PM

Quote:

i'm not sure i buy that... Ellison is younger and had similar production to Sharp in the AHL last year. not a definitive argument, but i'm not sure Sharp is necessarily all that superior given that he's had more developmental time.

last year in the AHL:
Sharp: 75gp 23g 29a 52pts
Ellison:71gp 14g 37a 51pts

so similar offensive player who has the ability to be sent to the AHL, not a bad deal.

tytech 12-16-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Honestly that is the first rational argument I can see for why Clarke made this trade. I've seen all the other arguments, and frankly they are all crappola (hitch doesnt like him, third round pick, not as versatile, etc.). Clarke wants to be able to send someone down when guys come off the IR.

I started this thread and couldn't agree with you more. All the rest of the reasons is B.S.
Clarke I'm sure, didn't even put this much thought into it. "Lets trade for a guy that can be sent down without having to clear waivers once we get healthy". Nough said.

panayiotis 12-19-2005 12:23 AM

bingo

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
i heard Sharp wasnt getting along with Hitch either

That is it. Sharpe was not a Hitch guy. I like Sharpe. He has been putting up the points with the Bhawks.. :handclap: