HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Why are some of you acting so surprised??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=20277)

fuhr 10-16-2003 08:08 AM

Why are some of you acting so surprised???

Did any of you honestly think this team had enough depth to cover not having Comrie in the lineup? Christ,they don't have any depth "WITH" Comrie in the lineup and we have even less depth than last season!! To those of you who were sitting here going we'll should be fine with Smyth and the rest of these midgets at centre......we can now enjoy watching the Oil fight for 9th or 10th place if they're lucky. Everyone should accept that fact that this team has "no depth" at any position and all we can do is hope Salo steals a lot of points for this team..........and i wouldn't count on that happening either.

hmminvisiblecola1279 10-16-2003 08:18 AM

good points fuhr i added in an earlier post my same thoughts as well. this team at times will be exciting to watch however there are going to be slumps which will kill any chance the oilers have of making the playoffs. i hope with a new cba in the future the oilers will be able to develop their players and keep them. losing niinimaa,carter,comrie, and marchant and replaced with torres,isbister,dvorak,and cross is not enough. cross is a liability and the other guys will take time although dvorak will come out of it eventually.
does this mean i jumped off the bandwagon, NO however the reality is this team does not have the offence nor a good powerplay to compete night after night. i can live with that, the oilers do have a lot of talent coming up in the next couple of years. all is well.

jofa 10-16-2003 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuhr
Did any of you honestly think this team had enough depth to cover not having Comrie in the lineup? Christ,they don't have any depth "WITH" Comrie in the lineup and we have even less depth than last season!! To those of you who were sitting here going we'll should be fine with Smyth and the rest of these midgets at centre......we can now enjoy watching the Oil fight for 9th or 10th place if they're lucky. Everyone should accept that fact that this team has "no depth" at any position and all we can do is hope Salo steals a lot of points for this team..........and i wouldn't count on that happening either.

Who's that Mister Grumpy-Pants?

I think somebody needs a hug!

Thanks for all of your three-games-in wisdom. I'm sure it will come in handy.

capebretonoilers 10-16-2003 08:47 AM

the sky is falling ! the sky is falling! :joker:

We had a brutal start last year and still made the playoffs--Lets wait at least until 10 games in before panicking

hmminvisiblecola1279 10-16-2003 08:51 AM

oh well i tried, the sky is certainly not falling there is more to life than the edmonton oilers. all i am saying is this team is not good enough to make the playoffs. will they be exciting to watch yes at times, they are just too young, lacking a proven leader, and lacking experience. i once again reiterate i can live with that. hey if they make the playoffs great i will be happy and if they don't i will still wear my oilers apparel with pride.

capebretonoilers 10-16-2003 09:05 AM

I was just trying to say writing the team off as a non playoff team this
year is premature. Same as the hype in Calgary regarding the flames after winning the snorefest the other night is also a "tad "early. I think
we will be battling for the final spot at the end of the year.
Perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part but I think I'll stay on the
bandwagon for a little longer :D

jacksheit 10-16-2003 09:35 AM

I'm sorry guys :mad:
I dont think the Oil will make the playoffs
it'll take a few seasons for the young'ns to mature into actual nhl players.
U have no good centers, no goal scorers. u have 3rd line players playing the second line.
and a checking line tha gets all ur goals
it'll b a tough season

fuhr 10-16-2003 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jofa
Who's that Mister Grumpy-Pants?

I think somebody needs a hug!

Thanks for all of your three-games-in wisdom. I'm sure it will come in handy.

Hey man,i hope i'm dead wrong and they can have a great year with this team but i don't see how. They've played 3 games,2 against ****** teams,and they've basically played like 2 decent periods. The third against San Jose and the third against the Flames because they just sat back. What will happen when they play some good teams? See the Vancouver game for the answer. Funny thing is,Vancouver hasn't been that great to start the season but they sure enough dominated the Oil. The worst part was Bertuzzi+Naslund did absolutely nothing and they still dominated. Like i said,i hope i'm wrong.

fuhr 10-16-2003 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capebretonoilers
the sky is falling ! the sky is falling! :joker:

We had a brutal start last year and still made the playoffs--Lets wait at least until 10 games in before panicking

I was saying this stuff before the season if started and it has nothing to do with the first three games. They just serve as good examples of what will probably happen this season. The only way this team makes the playoffs with this lineup is if Salo suddenly turns into Sean Burke or all the teams that should finish in front of them have a ton of injuries,see LA last season.

Schai 10-16-2003 11:41 AM

Quote:

With or without comrie, oilers would have lost these games. This team needs a veteran center who can fight through the checkers like Doug Weight or Bill Guerin had done. And comrie is not the guy. He is more suited for wing than a center.

K. Lowe has not addressed the real issue, Size and toughness at middle for THIS SEASON. I don't care how many games oilers will win with Ed Caron or whoever in the future. I want to see winning now.

dawgbone 10-16-2003 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz
With or without comrie, oilers would have lost these games. This team needs a veteran center who can fight through the checkers like Doug Weight or Bill Guerin had done. And comrie is not the guy. He is more suited for wing than a center.

K. Lowe has not addressed the real issue, Size and toughness at middle for THIS SEASON. I don't care how many games oilers will win with Ed Caron or whoever in the future. I want to see winning now.

Well it isn't going to happen now.... and you can't be suprised by that. If anything, Lowe has been brutally honest in saying that he is building this team for post 2004 success.

I also think it is far too early to start saying the Oilers are going to miss the playoffs. This team started off horribly last season to.

creative giant* 10-16-2003 11:57 AM

Quote:

I know some of you might see me as a bad person for saying this, but i kind of hope he's right. I've been waiting for some time now for a decent rebuilding period ala the senators and canucks, after which the team will be solid in all areas. A few years down the pipes is ok IF we end up with a better team (through higher picks, cutting the dead weight on the team, etc) in the end. I for one, am sick of the oilers being doomed to mediocrity forever.

hmminvisiblecola1279 10-16-2003 03:29 PM

precisely giant, i am tired of this team having mediocre seasons. time to rebuild, more or less we are in that mode right now. it does not bother me whatsoever if down the line we can compete for the stanley cup not a perennial that just made the playoffs and gets knocked out the first round. i look forward to seeing the young guys develop this year if mact gives them a chance.

mamettt 10-16-2003 03:38 PM

How do you people jump from losing two bad games to writing off an entire season? Patience people, patience. This team will come through, despite our emberassing lack of size in the middle.

hmminvisiblecola1279 10-16-2003 03:43 PM

i stress again did i say the season is over nnnnnnnoooooo however i do not think this team will make the playoffs. does this mean i am off the bandwagon,nnnnnnooooooo the oilers at times will be very entertaining but having the youngest team in the league will hurt them.

fuhr 10-16-2003 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
i stress again did i say the season is over nnnnnnnoooooo however i do not think this team will make the playoffs. does this mean i am off the bandwagon,nnnnnnooooooo the oilers at times will be very entertaining but having the youngest team in the league will hurt them.

It's funny,we are both making the same point but no one else seems to be reading it the same way we're posting it.

hmminvisiblecola1279 10-16-2003 03:49 PM

precisely i give up. oh well enjoy the game tonight hopefully being at home brings out some emotion tonight.

kraigus 10-18-2003 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz

Maybe I need my eyes (and memory) checked, but I could swear Guerin was usually going down the right side of the ice, not the centre.

Having said that, I'd like to see how Smyth does. I wasn't really impressed the first couple of games, but he did "ok" against Calgary and Buffalo, so maybe he'll do better.