HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why on earth is Gratton here? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=203551)

FlavorFlav 12-20-2005 02:16 PM

Why on earth is Gratton here?

OK, can someone explain this?

Flyers ain't exactly lacking toughness, and I've seen Gratton take some pretty good beatings lately...he's a 'fair' goon at best. Brashear would eat this guy up. Why in the world is :confused: this dead weight is using up a spot on the roster??? Can we not focus on scoring?

Vikke 12-20-2005 02:22 PM

At least he IS fighting. Brash is not.

Jester 12-20-2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavorFlav

Flyers ain't exactly lacking toughness, and I've seen Gratton take some pretty good beatings lately...he's a 'fair' goon at best. Brashear would eat this guy up. Why in the world is :confused: this dead weight is using up a spot on the roster??? Can we not focus on scoring?

i'm not even going to start criticizing what this team is doing right now given the injury situation... the fact that we are getting points at all from some of these games is amazing.

pelts35.com 12-20-2005 02:27 PM

What's the difference? Gratton is taking up a spot on the 4th line.

Gratton fared pretty well last night against one of the league's heavyweights in Geoff Peters as well as his bout with Adam Mair.

With all of the injuries, who should be called up from the Phantoms to be put in a scoring role?

And, to back up what Vikke said, when was the last time you saw Brashear drop the gloves? Brashear is a complete waste of a roster spot.

Steve L* 12-20-2005 02:51 PM

Gratton has had as many fights in the last game as Brashear had all season.

He showing up Brashear and now forcing him to stand up for teammates whereas Brashear previously only stood up for himself.

Banger 12-20-2005 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Gratton has had as many fights in the last game as Brashear had all season.

LOL, in the 1st period....

DeleteThisAccount 12-20-2005 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com
one of the league's heavyweights in Geoff Peters

It was Andrew Peters, actually. Geoff Peters is in Portland now and hasn't even played in the NHL.

pelts35.com 12-20-2005 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battousai
It was Andrew Peters, actually. Geoff Peters is in Portland now and hasn't even played in the NHL.

Sorry, had my Peters mixed up.

Regardless, Andrew Peters had 3 or 4 inches and 35 lbs on Gratton.

Roger's Pancreas* 12-20-2005 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavorFlav

Would you like to bring up Ruzicka instead?

Face it, if you're on the fourth line you're not counted on for goals. Bringing Rosie up and expecting him to score would be a mistake. Let's bring up someone who always has hustle and mixes it up reguarly....... like Gratton. If he fights it's a bonus but atleast you get someone who has the ability to play a regular shift in the NHL without getting knocked around.

But let's not get all excited and say we have a replacement for Brash because we don't. Gratton is a part-time middle weight at best in the NHL and would have been eaten alive in a fight between Boogaard or Goddard. He came in and showed a willingness to take a punch for a teammate and that's always good to see. Maybe in three or for years he might make a home on the fourth line but I wouldn't count on it.

Banger 12-20-2005 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Would you like to bring up Ruzicka instead?

Face it, if you're on the fourth line you're not counted on for goals. Bringing Rosie up and expecting him to score would be a mistake. Let's bring up someone who always has hustle and mixes it up reguarly....... like Gratton. If he fights it's a bonus but atleast you get someone who has the ability to play a regular shift in the NHL without getting knocked around.

But let's not get all excited and say we have a replacement for Brash because we don't. Gratton is a part-time middle weight at best in the NHL and would have been eaten alive in a fight between Boogaard or Goddard. He came in and showed a willingness to take a punch for a teammate and that's always good to see. Maybe in three or for years he might make a home on the fourth line but I wouldn't count on it.

nor would I. 142 penalty minutes in 20+ games might cut it in the AHL but won't in this NHL.

GKJ 12-20-2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke

No one will fight Brashear because he will beat just about everyone. Adam Mair ran away from him pretty quick until Gratton stopped him in his tracks and proceeded to obliterate him.

paxtang 12-20-2005 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth

You had me until here. Now, Peters isn't the force this year that he was last year, but he's still a legit heavy, and Gratton drew him last night. Both Goddard and Boogaard were in the AHL last year and didn't tear the league apart. The last two years has seen a very good crop of heavyweights in the AHL.

Gratton will never be a top heavy, and he'll never win a bunch of his fights. But he can stand in and throw with anyone. Even in the fights he loses he get's his own in. Just look at his fights with Orr and McGratton last year.

He's not a middleweight. A middle woudl ahve gotten his *** kicked by Peters. He's a light heavy, in the Vandenbusche or Hordichuck line. The great thing about Gratton is that because of his size, he'll fight middles and powerforwards as well, like Mair last night.

Coburnfan05 12-20-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke

Exactly...he just as many fights last night then Brash has had all night.

Coburnfan05 12-20-2005 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
No one will fight Brashear because he will beat just about everyone. Adam Mair ran away from him pretty quick until Gratton stopped him in his tracks and proceeded to obliterate him.

True, but there have been several times this year when we need Brash to drop em and he didn't even brother to try to.