HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Avery (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=204583)

kingsfan25 12-23-2005 10:38 AM

Avery

Our friend Sean Avery has this to say:
Quote:

It's funny how everybody's got an opinion on me that I don't back it up," he said. "They should watch a ****ing game and see what I do and see who I step up and fight. I'll fight when my teammates need me to fight. I don't need to fight a guy who plays four minutes a game. It's a waste of my time."
A quote from the Edmonton Sun found in the pressbox.

They've got a thread like this on the Oilers board to bash Avery. But of course they're blinded by hate.

I think it explains him pretty well.

SLang 12-23-2005 11:25 AM

They're just angry 'cause they wish they had him on their team.

TowMater14 12-23-2005 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLang
They're just angry 'cause they wish they had him on their team.

See here I think that your wrong. Most Edmontonians have always liked L.A and still do, they think that Avery is really putting a dark cloud over a class organization. And no we would not like Avery on our team, sure he is a decent player and a obviously a great agitator but the guy has absolutely no class and I think in the long run L.A will find him a locker room cancer. I think there are other guys in the league who are just as effective in there role without having to be a racist *****. At any rate, here is to an awesome game tonight as I will be there to see it and hoping the game is a good one and doesn't turn ugly. :)

alanschu 12-23-2005 11:56 AM

The thing with Avery is that he seemed to have no interest in having a go with Jason Smith after he checked him from behind, after the whistle. The funny thing was that the refs gave Smith a crosschecking penalty, when in the replay Smith had his stick on the ice and gloves dropped before he even got off the ice.

I suppose it was a "good one" for Avery because he drew a penalty, and you scored on that powerplay too. But I don't like that stuff, and I wouldn't want someone like that on my team. Just like I wouldn't want someone on the Oilers to go headhunting Avery and do something foolish and dirty tonight in retribution.

agentfouser 12-23-2005 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gforce33
See here I think that your wrong. Most Edmontonians have always liked L.A and still do, they think that Avery is really putting a dark cloud over a class organization. And no we would not like Avery on our team, sure he is a decent player and a obviously a great agitator but the guy has absolutely no class and I think in the long run L.A will find him a locker room cancer. I think there are other guys in the league who are just as effective in there role without having to be a racist *****. At any rate, here is to an awesome game tonight as I will be there to see it and hoping the game is a good one and doesn't turn ugly. :)

he doesn't seem to me to be a locker room cancer at all. indeed, as he's played for the kings and gotten older, you can see him growing in maturity. he takes fewer penalties, and i would say his value to the team has only grown. what clearly has not diminished, however, is his intensity, and the fire that he brings to the game and to his team--which is why i think that he will be ever more valuable in the locker room, and on the ice, and he gets older.

Kick 12-23-2005 01:34 PM

IMO, Avery showed a bit of class the other night in Calgary. On the last goal of the game, the empty netter, he cleary could have taken the shot and scored yet he passed to TK and let him have it. :yo:

willie 12-23-2005 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanschu
The thing with Avery is that he seemed to have no interest in having a go with Jason Smith after he checked him from behind, after the whistle.

You guys are making way too big an issue out of that play. Firstly, the hit was near simultaneous to the whistle. Perhaps a bit after but you see hits like that every single game. And it wasn't from behind.

Nor did Avery really have a chance go with Smith. Immediately after the hit he was chased down by another Oiler (and then the rest) and then after Smith got up, he was already engaged. The situation didn't allow Avery the chance to have a clean bout with Smith. No disrespect to Smith but if Avery is willing to drop his gloves and square off with Jovonovski, I very much doubt he is intimidated at the prospect of fighting Smith.

kingbrath 12-23-2005 01:38 PM

Avery is awsome and I would HATE it if he was traded anywhere. Needless to say Id rather have hime then more then half of the Oilers lineup!

SLang 12-23-2005 01:39 PM

Quote:

As far as Avery being a racist, I learned a long time ago not to believe things being said unless I was actually there to hear them. No one else heard it on either team, neither did any of the officials.

As others have said, the guy seems to be maturing, and he is standing up for teammates. These latest developments lead me to think you're off-base with the cancer comment, time will tell.

I agree about the game tonight, and envy you for being able to go. I'll be in front of the TV watching! ;)

swinginutter* 12-23-2005 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
You guys are making way too big an issue out of that play. Firstly, the hit was near simultaneous to the whistle. Perhaps a bit after but you see hits like that every single game. And it wasn't from behind.

Nor did Avery really have a chance go with Smith. Immediately after the hit he was chased down by another Oiler (and then the rest) and then after Smith got up, he was already engaged. The situation didn't allow Avery the chance to have a clean bout with Smith. No disrespect to Smith but if Avery is willing to drop his gloves and square off with Jovonovski, I very much doubt he is intimidated at the prospect of fighting Smith.

Agreed! Some players think they're allowed to hit anything but when the role is reversed, they lose their rag! Smith got punked as did Pronger......their actions told the whole story. I think Smith under estimated Avery's strength, and got flat backed. It's embarassing...I know, but it happens! Move the **** on and do the same back.....they jump the guy, and they're still moaning about it.
As for the whole Laraque thing..........It's just a matter of time before his career is gone, especially with the new NHL. He would crush Avery, but would the match-up be fair. You're talking about a top two heavy, vs. a 5'9 agitator......it sounds just as stupid as it would look.

As for the Oil.........I hope it's a good game tonight. I enjoy watching them.

Chuck Norris* 12-23-2005 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanschu
The thing with Avery is that he seemed to have no interest in having a go with Jason Smith after he checked him from behind, after the whistle. The funny thing was that the refs gave Smith a crosschecking penalty, when in the replay Smith had his stick on the ice and gloves dropped before he even got off the ice.

I suppose it was a "good one" for Avery because he drew a penalty, and you scored on that powerplay too. But I don't like that stuff, and I wouldn't want someone like that on my team. Just like I wouldn't want someone on the Oilers to go headhunting Avery and do something foolish and dirty tonight in retribution.

ah after the whistle you say? let Chuck let you in on a little secret. The contact was started before the whistle and Avery finished his check. You need to learn just like everyone else just because it is Avery doesn't mean that somehow that 1/2 second vanished.

Fat Elvis 12-23-2005 02:23 PM

Avery is great, good player and good teammate. If you don't like him, it's your problem. If you don't like LA because of him, than don't like LA. Go drink some beers and curl or whatever you do up there. It's ok to not like a player and even a team. Maybe Santa will bring you a hug for Xmas.

guzmania 12-23-2005 02:36 PM

Hey, northern Alberta remember Ken Linseman? I do.

The Tikk? I do.

Looks like the pot callin' the kettle a fancophone poser wearing a shield.

Avery nuts up, period.

No SC team gets to that rarified air without an agitator. Sean can also skate and shoot like the above mentioned. Hate away, I understand, really I understand.

bacchusbuddha 12-23-2005 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie

Exactly. It's only an issue because it was Avery. Period.

If it was Cowan or TK that made that hit, it would have been a total non-issue after a little obligatory face washing and jersey grabbing.

Beauty, eh? 12-23-2005 02:51 PM

Who here wants to smell Avery's fingers? :yo:

TowMater14 12-23-2005 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Avery is great, good player and good teammate. If you don't like him, it's your problem. If you don't like LA because of him, than don't like LA. Go drink some beers and curl or whatever you do up there. It's ok to not like a player and even a team. Maybe Santa will bring you a hug for Xmas.

LOL see thats funny, comments like this are what gives a guy like you no credibility. In my eyes it shows ignorance when it comes to Canada. I suppose you think that we all live in Igloos and eat whale blubber as well. I love L.A, I have a lot of family from that area but you will never hear me say go drink a bottle of OE and do a drive by or something. to that tone. Anyway If Avery has the Oilers as rattled as he does the fans, we are going to get slaughtered, so I hope that this isn't the case. Just for the records I am an L.A fan and think that they have a very powerful team......Go Oil GO :yo:

kingsfan25 12-23-2005 03:18 PM

Quote:

LOL see thats funny, comments like this are what gives a guy like you no credibility. In my eyes it shows ignorance when it comes to Canada. I suppose you think that we all live in Igloos and eat whale blubber as well.

You mean you don't live in an igloo?

Man I have to visit Western Canada sometime...sounds like you guys really are different from Ontario...

TubbyTerrion* 12-23-2005 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Avery is great, good player and good teammate. If you don't like him, it's your problem. If you don't like LA because of him, than don't like LA.

Man, I totally apologize. I had no idea you were actually on the Kings. If I have ever said anything about your play, please accept my apologies for my rigorous honesty. So Avery is a good teammate, eh? That's fantastic to hear, because I had actually NEVER heard one of his teammates say so before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLang
I learned a long time ago not to believe things being said unless I was actually there to hear them. No one else heard it on either team, neither did any of the officials.

I like Avery's play when he actually plays. When he's being Avery, I look forward to him having a kidney removed by an opponent's stick. He'll be gone from LA within 2-3 years, as the front office will eventually tire of his shenanigans, and there are dozens of guys who can step into that role with far less self-servitude.

I Am Ziggy Palffy 12-23-2005 04:30 PM

i'm still amazed by how mad Avery has made everyone...especially Canadians, which Avery is one of....i'm sure Avery is even surprised how well he has agitated people.....I sometimes wonder if opposing players target Avery, not because he did something to them personally, but they really dont think for themselves and just get caught up in all the hype

not trying to insult people, just stating a reoccuring thought

Reaper45 12-23-2005 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
He'll be gone from LA within 2-3 years, as the front office will eventually tire of his shenanigans, and there are dozens of guys who can step into that role with far less self-servitude.

I apologize for anything I ever said about the front office of the Kings, I never knew you were on the payroll.

Osprey 12-23-2005 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
I apologize for anything I ever said about the front office of the Kings, I never knew you were on the payroll.

Zing! :) :jump:

FC 12-23-2005 05:11 PM

Quote:

I think there are other guys in the league who are just as effective in there role without having to be a racist *****

People need to drop this Averys a racist bs. It was never proven and no one heard what Laraques claimed was said. Doan for the Yotes was accused of a inappropriate comment made on the ice by an official and was cleared and people believe he didnt say anything wrong so why not believe Avery. All hes done off ice is not be the typical boring hockey player in interviews, be honest and not hold back what he feels. The french canadian comment was politically incorrect yeah, hes not the only one to ever make such a statement though.

Fat Elvis 12-23-2005 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=TubbyTerrion]Man, I totally apologize. I had no idea you were actually on the Kings. If I have ever said anything about your play, please accept my apologies for my rigorous honesty. So Avery is a good teammate, eh? That's fantastic to hear, because I had actually NEVER heard one of his teammates say so before."

Well, now that you know, ok. Your apology is accepted.

Fat Elvis 12-23-2005 06:52 PM

Quote:

LOL see thats funny, comments like this are what gives a guy like you no credibility. In my eyes it shows ignorance when it comes to Canada. I suppose you think that we all live in Igloos and eat whale blubber as well. I love L.A, I have a lot of family from that area but you will never hear me say go drink a bottle of OE and do a drive by or something. to that tone. Anyway If Avery has the Oilers as rattled as he does the fans, we are going to get slaughtered, so I hope that this isn't the case. Just for the records I am an L.A fan and think that they have a very powerful team......Go Oil GO :yo:

So you're saying you don't want a hug?

What really bothers you about Avery? His play or his words? Believe Sean or George? Why would you like or dislike a team because of 1 player? Who talks more Sean or JR?

willie 12-23-2005 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
He'll be gone from LA within 2-3 years, as the front office will eventually tire of his shenanigans, and there are dozens of guys who can step into that role with far less self-servitude.

Don't you mean seananigans? :sarcasm: :innocent:

And I'd say within 3 years there is as good a chance of him having an 'A' on his sweater as there is of him being out the door. There may be dozens of guys who play a similar role as him but there are few guys in the league who are as effective.

The guy is a stud. (in more ways than one evidently :)) He has underrated skill, contributes in every zone, is relentless on the forecheck and is probably the best agitator in the league. I think it is safe to say that Taylor/Murray recognize his upside and have been patient with his maturation. He is still young so he has room for further development on the ice and - more importantly - off it.